'01 Challenger 1800 - Got RPM's, no speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zr2tim

Hi all, great forum, 1st time poster.
Just bought my first boat (2001 S.D. Challenger 1800, 240 EFI).
Took it out for third time this morning. Ran well, about 25mph at 3,900 rpm.
Had it up to 40mph, but too choppy today. Anchored for about an hour. Fired up fine.
Ran fine, about 35-40mph or so, then I was going to do a 360 wide sweeping turn, and that is when the power kind died off. I backed off the gas, straightened it out. Boat would then only go about 15mph at 4,000rpm.
Engine sounded ok, but I could hear a vibration/ticking sound from under the floor (it seamed, not out of the engine compartment). If I gave it more gas than 4,000rpm, it acted like the clutch was slipping (I know there is no clutch:rolleyes:). Boat never stalled, no beeps (just the one at start up), shut it off several times on purpose, started up just fine, idled fine, just now a lack of power.
Jumped in water, grate was clear, reverse gate working right. With engine off, I reached into the jet pump outlet, and didn't feel anything, couldn't turn the impeller (not sure if I should be able to?).

Limped it back to dock at 12-15mph at 4,000rpm, took it home, then came here...

What do you guys think?

Ok all, after I posted this, I went back outside, laid under the boat and shined a flashlight up into the jet intake. Guess what? I found a stick about 8" long x 1/2" dia. caught in the blade. Took grate off and pulled it out. It was shredded up pretty good on the end that was stuck in the blade. Not sure if it cut it in half, and more of it is between the blade and discharge side. Above, I stated I put my hand inside the exit pipe, and couldn't turn it (I was in the lake at the time)...now (in my driveway), I can see that it is part of the housing, and it does not turn.

Should I take the housing off to see if more of the stick is in there? Is it hard to do? Any pointers?

Although I would think so, do you all think this was my problem? Could it have hurt anything else...like what ever couples the impeller shaft to the engine?? Remember, as I stated above, I gassed it up to 5,000rpm, and it sounded like the clutch slipping...
And I am guessing the vibration/tickling sound was the stick wedged in there???

Just a new boat owner getting an early start on problems with owning a boat...Ha Ha.

Would still like to here about similar experiences, good or bad.

Oh yea. Forgot to mention. Blades are pretty banged up. All edges nicked up, the blade that had the stick in it is bent over about 1/16" or so about 1/4" wide on top. Since I did not examine this before, can't say what was there, and what was caused by the stick.

I would like to hear back on what kind of damage this might have caused, or things to loo or watch out for. Hoping my buddy can hit the lake with me tomorrow to try it out again, now with stick removed. I took cell pictures, just don't know how to post yet.

Just posting so you know we are not ignoring you. I will reply in the morning.

Busy night for me, sorry.

Sorry it took so long to get an answer. But, I was on the water all day yesterday.

Let's start with the basics.

1) If anything gets in the pump. You will have cavitation. Basically... the pressure (or vac) created, will cause air bubbles, and it has the same effect as spinning the tires on your car. High RPM's, and no go.

2) The impeller is hard connected to the engine. So... you probably won't be able to turn it by hand.

3) The pump and impeller will get beat up over the years. if there isn't a blade that is obviously bent... and the clearance is OK (blade to the pump wall) then I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. When you service the pump, to put it a way for the winter... then you can get a better look.

OK... as far as the stick. If you got out, what you can see... I'm betting you will be fine on your next trip. BUT... make sure you REALLY look around well. There could be a hunk stuck in the exit side. If there is... you may have to remove the nozzle and stator to get it out.

Thanks Dr. H, this forum is very informative, and I am glad I found it. Going for a spin a little later. Will report back.

It is amazing that something as little as a twig can all but stop a ski.

One member had a piece of seaweed wrapped in and out of the blades but could not see it.

Chased the issue for nearly a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep....

I got lucky yesterday. I was down around "The Point" of Pittsburgh... and the Allegheny river was clean. But... when we got to the Mon... it was BAD. We were dodging entire trees !!! Needless to say... I turned around, and went slow. But, when I started to put the power back on... I felt something in the pump. I shut it off for a min, to see if it would drop out... but it didn't. SO.... I just mashed the throttle and gave it a second.... AND.... WHAM !!!! It shot out something BIG !!!! I'll have to check it out later today... but at least I didn't have to jump in the water. (the Merc pumps work well as a food processor)

Speaking of that... I should flush the engine to make sure there isn't any junk in the cooling system.

I caught a twig two weeks. Couldn't clear it. Started to head to the dock. Got to about 40 MPH an it suddenly it cleared. My RTX almost threw me off the back of the ski.

Turned around and went back to riding.

Just got off the lake...all seems fine. Thanks for the advice guys!

Now, I have to fix my pesky smoking problem. Will look at pump marks, temp sensors, TPS...as other posts indicate.

Just got off the lake...all seems fine. Thanks for the advice guys!

Now, I have to fix my pesky smoking problem. Will look at pump marks, temp sensors, TPS...as other posts indicate.

The cavitation was easy compared to the smoke issue.

Good luck,,,,

Just an FYI... these do smoke at idle. So... don't drive yourself crazy trying to get it to stop. But... check the things you posted, and it will be minimized.

Now... when the temp sender goes bad... it's REAL bad.

Just an FYI... these do smoke at idle. So... don't drive yourself crazy trying to get it to stop. But... check the things you posted, and it will be minimized.

Now... when the temp sender goes bad... it's REAL bad.

As I stated, this is not only my 1st Jet Boat, but my very 1st Boat. And I love this forum. Based on what I have read here. Mine is excessive. When I went to get the trailer to pull the wife out, it looked like a pretty big blue cloud around her. Plus, before my 1st launch, I topped off the gas tank, and the oil tank. After two days on the lake, basically had to put about 25 gallons in again, and the oil tank took another gallon of oil.

If you are supposed to get 150 gallons per 1 gallon of oil (read that here somewhere), I am way past that.

It should use 1 gallon of oil to every 50 gallons of gas at wide open throttle. You should use less oil than that because you're not running wide open all of the time.

As I stated, this is not only my 1st Jet Boat, but my very 1st Boat. And I love this forum. Based on what I have read here. Mine is excessive. When I went to get the trailer to pull the wife out, it looked like a pretty big blue cloud around her. Plus, before my 1st launch, I topped off the gas tank, and the oil tank. After two days on the lake, basically had to put about 25 gallons in again, and the oil tank took another gallon of oil.

If you are supposed to get 150 gallons per 1 gallon of oil (read that here somewhere), I am way past that.

The oil tank is good for 150 gal of fuel. It's 3 gallons. So... as Paul said... 1 gal oil for 50 gal fuel at WOT.

If you think the smoke is bad... then check the port side temp sender, and the TPS.

But, I can tell you... mine smokes when I first put it in the water. Once I get a good run, and some heat in it, it's fine. Basically... at speed... there is zero smoke, and after idling again... it will be cloudy. (it's a 2 stroke thing)

Also... different oils can minimize the smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back