Yet another Oil question - potential mixing of oils

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamajama

I know this will sound like a stupid question - but I have gone through 19 pages of search results and gave up.

Lots of comments on 2 strokes and mixing but none I could see on the 4 stroke...

My question is this - I just moved up to a 4 stroke and the PO was using QS 10W30 oil for some reason.... and I'm doing an oil change and changing it to the XPS Synthetic Blend.....I won't be able to get the full amount of the old oil out
as everything I've read says just leave the balance of the oil the pump can not get out on the first attempt (probably leaving about half a quart). I know you can turn the engine over a bit and get some more out but as I said I would rather
not run the engine without the lubrication...

Should I make an effort to get as much of the remainder out as possible or will it be ok to leave this old amount? I
would imagine the ratio would end up as 3 1/2 quarts new to the half-quart...

If you turn it over in drown mode, it wont start and will pump more oil into the pan to suck out. It wont hurt the engine. You will prob get 3 quarts out. Is it a supercharged engine? I would run Amsoil.

...Should I make an effort to get as much of the remainder out as possible or will it be ok to leave this old amount? I
would imagine the ratio would end up as 3 1/2 quarts new to the half-quart...

A supercharged model? If so...and that 10w30 wasn't wet clutch applicable...I'd treat it the same as I would any contaminated oil situation. Multiple oil changes till I was confident in what was left.

A supercharged model? If so...and that 10w30 wasn't wet clutch applicable...I'd treat it the same as I would any contaminated oil situation. Multiple oil changes till I was confident in what was left.

Yes it's a 2004 GTX SC 185HP. I have no idea if that 10W30 was wet clutch applicable or not. I have no idea why he was running that.

When you say "multiple" oil changes, can you elaborate please. As far as the amsoil thought - I'm going to run the XPS synthetic blend
as BRP suggests. Believe it or not it's far cheaper than the amsoil. The amsoil here is around $15 lite (quart almost) and I can get
the XPS online for 8.99 all in.

WOW, here its $8 a quart if you join their club. Just make sure it has no friction modifiers if you use another brand oil. Multiple oil changes would be a waste. Change it and go ride!!!! Also rebuild the s/c as they have the ceramic washers that are a ticking time bomb.

WOW, here its $8 a quart if you join their club. Just make sure it has no friction modifiers if you use another brand oil. Multiple oil changes would be a waste. Change it and go ride!!!! Also rebuild the s/c as they have the ceramic washers that are a ticking time bomb.

$8 a quart...yeesh. To be fair the XPS in Canada is around the same - $15 but I can order in in the US, have it sent to a US address and pick it up - for $8.99 shipped so if it's good enough for BRP to recommend it (and they confirmed it in an email to me) I'll use that...As far as the SC goes, even though the machine has only 66 hours I'm having it rebuilt right after my test ride (fingers crossed there...:) Thanks for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back