y2k challenger 2000 240 hp efi only revs to 5100 rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

copperhead

Hi every one, I am new to this site and have just been a seadoo owner for two months. I have been reading the many posts on this site trying to educate myself in the world of sea doo jet boats. It becomes apparent the more one reads the threads on this site how many expert sea doo jet boaters there are here with a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share. I bought my boat from a dealer in Indiana and had it shipped to Canada. The dealer had performed a mechanical check on the boat. The compressions were 135 psi on five cylinders and 140 psi on the sixth cylinder. They did a tank test and ran the boat under load and said every thing was working fine. When I got the boat I changed the water/fuel seperator filter, the inline filter, the six spark plugs (NGK) gapped 0.04, the hydro surge weed grate (installed six tine alliminum fixed), charged the battery fully, filled the gas tank with new fuel (tank was nearly empty), added one can of sea foam , the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer. Have had the boat in the water four times. The boat starts and idles smoothly, no missing, there is no hesitation in acceleration and planes nicely, but the problem is that the boat will only rev to 5100 rpms and go 42 mph. I know from reading all the info on this and other sites that this boat should max. rev 5750 to 6200 rpm and should go 49 to 52 mph. I have checked all the cdm's and plug wires for connection. There are only two things that stick out in my mind, after three months of faithful thread reading: the throttle shift lever at WTO does not go all the way to the front of the console as the FNR lever does, but is away from the end by approx. 1 and 3/4 inchs. Could the max. throttle linkage be set incorrectly? The max throttle stop on the engine still has orange sealant on the thread, so I don't think it has ever been moved. The other is the exhaust hoses feel soft and I have read on this site about exhaust hose interior de-lamination and exhaust blockage. I am terribly sorry for the long thread, however I did want to give you the background for what I have already done to the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you folks.

best regards
Terry

problem solved

I am a little disappointed that I got 0 replies on my problem on this site, I though maybe rookie101 or snipe or Kustomkarl, to name a few, may have been able to help (maybe they are all away???). I was out at the boat yesterday. I got into the engine compartment and had a better look at the throttle linkage and max throttle stop. I took a photo copy of the engine port view and what I had originally though I was looking at as the max. throttle stop turned out to be the max. spark adjustment screw, hanging upside down really skews your perspective. With the throttle a wot I checked the clearance on the max. throttle stop and had about a inch and a half clearance and had lots left on the throttle linkage. Then I knew it had to be in the Throttle console. Took the shifters out of the console, long story short, in the factory someone had reversed the direction of the two bolts with nylon lock nuts that secure the nuetral safety switch ( I am guessing as to the name of this device as I cannot find it in the service manual) It is two plastic nuts on a plastic bolt with a electiral connection plugged in on the end. I have read in a post somewhere about a throttle guardian. Any way the lock nuts were pertruding into the shifter channel. I changed the direction of the bolts and lock nuts and the throttle went all the way forward. I had disconnected the throttle cable previously which didn't help so looked for something else and that's what I found. Put the shifter back in and the boat worked perfect. Now that's what a jet boat should feel like!!!! 51 mph on speedo and 6000 rpm with a hole shot that will rip your arms off. I know this was mixed up at the factory because there were no abrasions on the colsole shifter plastic beyond where the throttle used to max out. The previous two owners of this boat must have been Sunday cruisers or never read any posts from forum people on the real performance of the challenger 2000. I greatly appreciate the help of rlhartman @ jetboating and jetwild RJ @ 54:hurray:. Thanks again and happy boating.<br>best regards<br>Terry

I'm RLHartman, sorry I didn't see your thread here but...

...glad I could help on the other site. I'm most happy that your problem was easy to solve at (I believe) zero cost in dollars and only a little time.

Have fun, stay safe, and report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back