XPS Synthetic Oil Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been buying Sea Doo oil on eBay for the last several years. Went to the dealer because their price is cheaper now for some reason and viola new packaging. Hasn’t been that long ago Sea Doo went to the yellow bottles. Now the bottles are black with a price of 45 bucks instead of their normal 55 bucks. I’ll take it!

So you guys use the expensive stuff?? What does it do that makes it soo good? I'm not mocking just interested. I wonder about the stuff I buy from Academy "Mystik".

The API-tc Mystic is fine. in the 720 and smaller... you can use the mineral oil... in the 800 and bigger, you need synthetic.

I personally lost my love with XPS a couple years back when it went from the normal brown color to the red color, and we found someone new was making it. SO... I use quicksilver. I've found it locally at a good price. So, stick to the guidelines above... and you will be safe.

I can only speak for myself as I am not an oil expert, but what I can tell you is I have purchased countless number of skis with blown motors for 300 to 500 bucks and every single one of them had some blue looking crappy oil in the tank with a clogged oil filter. I just stick with what is recommended because it works for me.
There are a lot of so called dual rated 2 stroke oils on the market. Aside from those I think any API-TC only rated oils are OK, but not the dual rated ones. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the ratings.

I can only speak for myself as I am not an oil expert, but what I can tell you is I have purchased countless number of skis with blown motors for 300 to 500 bucks and every single one of them had some blue looking crappy oil in the tank with a clogged oil filter. ................................

Yep. Guys cheap out, and thrown in an TC-w3 oil... and NEVER service the oil system. Then when their engines blow... they blame the "Crappy, unreliable oil injection." (Idiots)

Well the Mystik says it is API-TC "Full Synthetic" and it is $25 at Academy. Quicksilver is $37. I worked at a Chevron Additives Plant for 28 years so I know and understand the additives business to a degree. I also know that you pay for the name quite often which is fine, they earned that name by selling quality products and standing behind them. Some brands go over and above and offer the best package which is why they cost more, some meet the minimum requirements for people that can't or won't pay $10-$20 more for a gallon of oil. :D

I also know that for a company in the United States to call a product "Synthetic" it doesn't have to be fully Synthetic. Almost any Synthetic Blend would qualify. This is not true in Europe.

Finding data on these oils is difficult. I am running the Mystik, which warns it is "not for use" in marine outboard engines and I use it in my 787s. In the skis I have purchased, I have found that same blue oil mentioned by jhjesse.

In the oil business, if the oil receives the rating... it passed all the tests. So any oil with the rating will do the job but obviously some are better than others.

Last edited:
Sorry Moderators I did not mean to stir up yet another oil thread. I was just making a statement about packaging of Sea Doo oil changing again. :frown:

I get the XPS full synthetic for $36 a gallon from Pro Caliber and free shipping over $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back