Woodruff Key, 717 GTI - Unable to remove rear PTO

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XARiUS

So I am rebuilding a 717 and got some new crank seals, I have been fighting with the rear PTO since the start. I have an old drive shaft that I am sticking inside the spindles and cranking on to try and bust it loose, I heated the shit out of it, and now, I tweaked the Woodruff key on the magneto side while cranking on it. Can i get another key at most local hardware stores, or is this something I need to get specially?

Also, Does anyone know any tricks to get this damn PTO off?!

Thanks in advance,

Oh, also, my rotory valve shaft was stripped, could this be caused from lack of oil to motor? I think my oil injector may be bad but am not sure if I can test it, I tried to blow lightly into the oil nipple and couldnt blow through, no matter what position the lever was in(which wont return to its default position, sticks open)

To remove mine I pushed several feet of 1/4 rope down the spark plug hole to use as a stop against the cylinder head. Remove the spark plug and use a pencil while rotating the pto to find top dead center. Then rotate it back some and fill her with rope.

The supply and return line to the oil injector provide oil to the rotary valve. The injector lines put it into the cylinders.

Nice trick with the rope, I'll give that a shot. So, the im still confused on the oil pump, Is there a way to bench test? I dont want to put this thing back together and then blow up up cuz of no oil. I wsa thinking about switching to premix, but rather not. I just dont like the idea, Whe I move the leaver on the pump forward as if i was giving it fuel, should i be able to see oil coming out?

to test oil pump, just hook it up to a drill. the pump is only working while the engine is running since it is gear driven. you can see oil come out slowly when it is being driven.

you should use a large pipe wrench to take the pto flywheel off, not using the the splines as they could easily strip out since it takes a huge amount of force to remove it. You don't need to heat it, you can damage seals behind it if you are not very careful.

If the crank is out, put it in a large vise grabbing the pto crank lobes, use a large pipe wrench with a 3 foot pipe on the end. They are on tight with loctite but will break free and spin right off.

If the crank is in the ski, use the rope trick on the pto cylinder as described above but make sure the piston is high enough that the rope doesn't get into the ports. Same thing, pipe on the end of the monkey wrench, watch out for the grease zerk. It will come right off with a lot of force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back