2005 Seadoo GTI/ RFI No start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

msmoak5

So I’m racking my brain on this issue….long post alert!!!

I have 2005 Seadoo GTI/RFI. It ran decent last summer, but the compression was starting to fail…and then starting in the water became near impossible. I’ve rebuilt a few of these machines. So I just pulled the engine, and performed a top end rebuild. Even went ahead and changed the jet pump fluid, wear ring, etc.

After connecting everything and aligning the motor, the ski fired right up first try. The machine was smoking like crazy (which I was expecting because of the oil and trying to break the rings in). Initially, compression was showing 140 Magneto side - and 135 PTO side. I figure this would increase as the rings set. I cranked the ski and then connected a hose and ran it for about 5 minutes to get it nice and warm and recheck the compression. No change. Then took it to the river and tried to start it…nothing. The battery was showing 12.6 volts and upon starting, dropping to 11.3 volts. I initially thought it was the battery, so I put that one on my charger and put it a brand new battery, same result.

Brought the ski back, removed the fuel injectors and cleaned them with my electronic injector cleaner and they’re spraying great. Also made a fuel pressure gauge and I’m getting 60 PSI. I can hear the fuel pump prime every time I install the key. Took the fuel pump assembly out today and went ahead replaced both filters (even though I replaced them last season too.) I trimmed the ignition cables and checked for spark with my tester and I’m getting good bright spark. Now the ski will not crank period….the starter motor just engages and turns the engine, but doesn’t crank. Thinking my engine was either hydro-locked or fuel-locked, I removed the spark plugs and cranks the engine to expel any water or fuel inside the engine. Installed new spark plugs and finally the engine started for a second and shut off. Now it’s the doing the same thing. Starter motor engaging the motor and rotating everything, but not starting.

I will also add that when I first started it after the rebuild, and then connected it to water, I did see water dripping minor drips from the PTO side closest to the starboard side of the motor. So I’m not 100% that the new head gasket is holding. Current compression is still 140/135.

Is there anything else I’m forgetting?

I just did the top end of my 01 gtx RFI. Ran great on first try. Then nothing. I think I may have a fuel delivery issue. As I have spark and compression.

I did have trouble seating the fuel rail. Thinking I may have damaged it.

Did you resolve your issue >

I just did the top end of my 01 gtx RFI. Ran great on first try. Then nothing. I think I may have a fuel delivery issue. As I have spark and compression.

Did you fix it?

So I’m racking my brain on this issue….long post alert!!!

I have 2005 Seadoo GTI/RFI. It ran decent last summer, but the compression was starting to fail…and then starting in the water became near impossible. I’ve rebuilt a few of these machines. So I just pulled the engine, and performed a top end rebuild. Even went ahead and changed the jet pump fluid, wear ring, etc.

After connecting everything and aligning the motor, the ski fired right up first try. The machine was smoking like crazy (which I was expecting because of the oil and trying to break the rings in). Initially, compression was showing 140 Magneto side - and 135 PTO side. I figure this would increase as the rings set. I cranked the ski and then connected a hose and ran it for about 5 minutes to get it nice and warm and recheck the compression. No change. Then took it to the river and tried to start it…nothing. The battery was showing 12.6 volts and upon starting, dropping to 11.3 volts. I initially thought it was the battery, so I put that one on my charger and put it a brand new battery, same result.

Brought the ski back, removed the fuel injectors and cleaned them with my electronic injector cleaner and they’re spraying great. Also made a fuel pressure gauge and I’m getting 60 PSI. I can hear the fuel pump prime every time I install the key. Took the fuel pump assembly out today and went ahead replaced both filters (even though I replaced them last season too.) I trimmed the ignition cables and checked for spark with my tester and I’m getting good bright spark. Now the ski will not crank period….the starter motor just engages and turns the engine, but doesn’t crank. Thinking my engine was either hydro-locked or fuel-locked, I removed the spark plugs and cranks the engine to expel any water or fuel inside the engine. Installed new spark plugs and finally the engine started for a second and shut off. Now it’s the doing the same thing. Starter motor engaging the motor and rotating everything, but not starting.

I will also add that when I first started it after the rebuild, and then connected it to water, I did see water dripping minor drips from the PTO side closest to the starboard side of the motor. So I’m not 100% that the new head gasket is holding. Current compression is still 140/135.

Is there anything else I’m forgetting?
You said that you rebuilt 787 engines.
Any idea start on trailer but not in water.
2005 GTI LE RFI

Still working on mine but haven't had a chance to work on it again for the last two weeks. I have compression, good spark. All sensors check out with resistance and voltage per the engine management section of the manual. Mine will just sputter and not fire up leading me to think its a fuel issue. Fuel pressure is 60 . Pump is running. The only thing I can think of is that the injectors are not spraying much. A short weak spray. Next I plan to try another fuel rail and see if that makes any difference. If not perhaps its the mpem. I also resent the TPS with my candoo. Still no change

Did you check each sensor? I am wondering that they all have to work in tandem and if one thing is off nothing happens.

Not yet…spoke with another buddy of mine and he mentioned that since I did the top-end, I may have increased the compression to the point a lower seal blew. I have the ski back inside the garage will be pulling the engine again! 🤦‍♂️ I’m going to run my scanner first to see if anything pops up.

Still working on mine but haven't had a chance to work on it again for the last two weeks. I have compression, good spark. All sensors check out with resistance and voltage per the engine management section of the manual. Mine will just sputter and not fire up leading me to think its a fuel issue. Fuel pressure is 60 . Pump is running. The only thing I can think of is that the injectors are not spraying much. A short weak spray. Next I plan to try another fuel rail and see if that makes any difference. If not perhaps its the mpem. I also resent the TPS with my candoo. Still no change

Did you check each sensor? I am wondering that they all have to work in tandem and if one thing is off nothing happens.
I didn’t check all the sensors, may work on that before I tear down again. I’m going to run the ski with a candoo and see if anything pops up.

l don’t know what to do.
To get second hand muffler its 450 nzd and l don’t know if is good .
Still don’t make sense.
Because water can’t get inside muffler.
Hose is getting to much higher then jet on back in water.

Back