Winterizing and jet pump oil change

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jduck

I’m winterizing two skis that I bought earlier this year and was wondering if there would there be any harm in waiting until the spring season to change the jet pump oil. I’ve a long list of maintence items to hit before I go play next year and would just assume save changing the oil until next year. Opinions?

That's fine

That's fine. As long as you put it on your list for annual maintenance, doesn't matter what time of year you do it.
When checking or changing this oil, I think one of the most important things to look for is the color of the oil. If your familar with the yellow coloring of the oil when water is present, then you'll know if a seal is bad. With the pump underwater during it's work, there's a chance the seals can go bad. Last year, my oil was yellow. I rebuilt the pump with new seals and bearings. The last step after a rebuild is to pressure test to make sure the seals hold and aren't leaking.

The only problem with waiting is if the Pump has a lot of water in it and it gets below freezing where you store it. It could freeze the water and break something like brg. races or housing.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back