Winter refresh of my 96 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit 6990 RPMs at WOT. I had it running 7050 and that thing REALLY screamed at those RPMs, but without doing a plug chop was a little sketched out that those were pretty high RPMs to consistently run. So fattened up the high speeds to one turn out from 3/4. I'm ok with losing 60 RPMs for the sake of caution. No need to squeeze every little ounce out of this thing.

So I ended up not getting anything done this winter that I planned on. No new graphics, new seat, pulling the carbs and cleaning them, etc. I ended up starting a new job and stumbling onto a steal of a deal on a twin engine yammi jet boat.

With that being said at the end of the season I started noticing some issues with my ski, and found this last fall when I went to winterize it. Ears busted off the rave valve and melted the cap. Cylinder looks fine and no adverse side effects, so I'm guessing this happened the last ride of the season or close to it. I've ordered some new(used) raves, housings, etc in good condition. Didn't feel like shelling out the cost of those things new. Parts should be here this week I'd guess. Maybe I'll get some time to pull my carbs and go through them again. Getting a hot start issue again that wasn't there when I first put the new carbs on.

20181028-162634.jpg

20181028-162229.jpg

20181028-161246.jpg

Oh man, here we go. I was struggling to keep my rave pistons from melting all the time. It's been a couple summers since I've owned/ridden a 787, but I BELIEVE my issues were from the fact that my engine was running hotter all the time due to one of the coolant drains (the one that comes off the T in the rear of the cyls) was blocked. My Challenger had a shell in one of the port fittings, and my SPX was straight up clogged with sand. I'd check that line, disconnect it from the rear of the cylinders and blow some compressed air through.

I've been on the hunt for aluminum rave pistons, but ppl want too much for them. I almost made some myself, but never got around to building the aluminum forge.

Oh man, here we go. I was struggling to keep my rave pistons from melting all the time. It's been a couple summers since I've owned/ridden a 787, but I BELIEVE my issues were from the fact that my engine was running hotter all the time due to one of the coolant drains (the one that comes off the T in the rear of the cyls) was blocked. My Challenger had a shell in one of the port fittings, and my SPX was straight up clogged with sand. I'd check that line, disconnect it from the rear of the cylinders and blow some compressed air through.

I've been on the hunt for aluminum rave pistons, but ppl want too much for them. I almost made some myself, but never got around to building the aluminum forge.
Well mine was cause the ears on the rave broke, so fortunately I found the reason. When it was running I saw exhaust come out the top, that's why I started poking around.

You can get good deals on new OEM raves off Ebay. Theres a few on there now for $54. Almost bought them Tuesday with the 15% off Ebay coupon but forgot and missed the deadline.

Hell I got 3 last year for $24 shipped total. Housings come up less often, but I've still gotten quite a few for cheap.

I bought some brand new rave valve bodies and took my time setting everything up right. In less than 5 hours riding time one set of those bodies had excessive internal wear on the valve bore clearance. I went back with the old ones that were less worn. I took some measurements on the valve to body clearance and determined what amount of wear was acceptable to me. Unbelievable to see that amount of wear in such a short time. Could be other issues though but I checked the slot sizes on the cylinders. Didn't seem too out of line.

You can get good deals on new OEM raves off Ebay. Theres a few on there now for $54. Almost bought them Tuesday with the 15% off Ebay coupon but forgot and missed the deadline.

Hell I got 3 last year for $24 shipped total. Housings come up less often, but I've still gotten quite a few for cheap.
I'll keep an eye out on ebay for the next sale. I got the housings and everything for $100 shipped and he's on here too, so I trust the seller.

Got the new raves today and put them in. Now just need to put my head back on, it's "on" in the pic but the bolts aren't tightened down. Gonna pull them off and go over them with a bench grinder to get them cleaner.
3-5-Pb46q36-nu-Yo-Rs-ZZAl-XZfh-LGx-Xn6b-JQmc41-NE7-GSyr-Ez6-Vq-PGs1ysk-F9-xy8z-Xgl-IXq-X2-EBrp-Fbv-Xcdexk5-WXAgzh-Y-Ik-JHq-I2-W6-E5a-FGCc6-T0-BVXLm3-PZm-Ap2a-YTyj-HH0-Tl-WWDw-V3xbuo-JVbt3-Qls5-Xz-Avs-0fl-R50-Fsgk-LA3-O6-KMHV0-Pk8-VMx-XFRVl-D3-Wr-Wlz-O4g-LVvt-Qau-Y0ay3y-MQl-Iqa-Ogiad-DNi-S4d1-Sp-Ve4i-GH0-Bo-T6cq-Es-Dbxr-E.jpg

What's the blue chit
RTV. I noticed one day a drop of water or so would come out of there. New gasket, tightening it, etc didn't change it. Took some blue RTV I had in the tool chest smeared in on there, dry as a bone ever since. :)

Were they OEM? The aftermarket junk ones are out of spec when they are brand new.

I measured the new ones with micrometer and they were spot on. I think .293". They opened up to .310" in that short time frame. I was thinking loose fitment in the cylinder slot may be allowing the valves to rattle so I measured that also. It was not all that loose in the cylinder. I guess the housing material is just way too soft.

Suke what size domes you running? I’m running some 40cc in a westcoast head
I'm running pump gas domes. It's escaping me right now, but think they're 43 or 44.....I'll have to check when I put the head back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back