Winter refresh of my 96 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think single stage paint might hold up okay. I used 2-stage, like on a car, and it started to flake off after 2 years. The paint didn't stick well enough to the plastic, so around the edges, it would begin to flake. Next time, I will use Bulldog adhesion promoter and see how that goes. @suke you used just single stage from a rattle can, right?
I used an adhesion type promoter primer, followed by single stage paint, topped with several layers of clear coat.

Ah, yea, I see. It's in the first page: Rustoleum Universal Bonding Primer. I guess it's the same thing as the bulldog. I'll be interested to know how that holds up over time. I think the single gauge hood will hold up better than my mirrors hood I painted, as that tends to rattle and flex more. Did you start from a yellow hood? I have trouble finding yellow ones. The idiot who I bought my ski from put these stupid aftermarket mirrors on my single gauge hood. The weight of them completely destroyed the hood. What a waste :mad:

if you use the bulldog adhesion primer, what paint and clear do you use?
I would use an automotive paint, like Nason, or Omni. I prefer using a spray gun to rattle cans, but you can still do a decent job with a rattle can. @suke did you use a gun to spray your clear? Looks really good!

Suke, paint job looks awesome. Any reason you used the multi purpose clear instead of the automotive clear? The john deere yellow farm equipment paint says it is an automotive paint so not sure if it makes any difference which clear you use. I am totally new at this so sorry for so many questions.

I would use an automotive paint, like Nason, or Omni. I prefer using a spray gun to rattle cans, but you can still do a decent job with a rattle can. @suke did you use a gun to spray your clear? Looks really good!
Nope just good ole rattle can clear.

Suke, paint job looks awesome. Any reason you used the multi purpose clear instead of the automotive clear? The john deere yellow farm equipment paint says it is an automotive paint so not sure if it makes any difference which clear you use. I am totally new at this so sorry for so many questions.
Because the rustoleum automotive clear has bad reviews for yellowing, which on a yellow guess that wouldn't matter that much. This one specifically says it won't yellow. I'm pretty sure they're basically the same thing with a few tweaks.

Ah, yea, I see. It's in the first page: Rustoleum Universal Bonding Primer. I guess it's the same thing as the bulldog. I'll be interested to know how that holds up over time. I think the single gauge hood will hold up better than my mirrors hood I painted, as that tends to rattle and flex more. Did you start from a yellow hood? I have trouble finding yellow ones. The idiot who I bought my ski from put these stupid aftermarket mirrors on my single gauge hood. The weight of them completely destroyed the hood. What a waste :mad:
It was a green hood. I wouldn't have painted it if it was a yellow hood. Those are savable even when they're hammered.

Really? I can't get my green hood to stay green on the Challenger. I would heat-treat it lightly with a torch, and it'd look great initially. But eventually, as the season wears on, it goes back to having those hazy white spots. How do you bring back the original color of the plastic and make it stay that way?

Really? I can't get my green hood to stay green on the Challenger. I would heat-treat it lightly with a torch, and it'd look great initially. But eventually, as the season wears on, it goes back to having those hazy white spots. How do you bring back the original color of the plastic and make it stay that way?
Gonna have to protect it. I have a ceramic coating on my plastics....carpro DLUX. Before that I had a water based protectant on there.

Thanks Suke that makes sense. What did you do prior to primer? Just wash it real good then hit it with 400?
Washed it good. I wet sanded where the logo was with 800 grit sand paper as well as the rest of the hood. I should have gone over it with 400 grit as it was a little too smooth I think. Not much for the paint to bite on to.

Yellow ones go for a pretty penny

Finally got around to getting my hood put on. I repainted that thing like 5 times to finally get the paint acceptable to my standards. LOL!

41772278482_1327bc4d69_o.jpg

40915846135_b1d31df857_o.jpg

27946219778_10a9b424ff_o.jpg

I still need to water test it, and with it FINALLY warming up here I should be doing that soon.

This is cool shiznit !!! Getting ready to paint my XP. I think I'll stick with the stock Yellow. Glad you posted the color match. Good Stuff !!

all carb issues I had and couldn't get rid of are now gone with the new carbs. She runs great!!! Got her dialed in at Mpower's house these past couple days. Even with the forecast being 100% rain for 3 days we managed to get quite a bit of riding in and we both burned through a good amount of fuel. I did notice my exhaust is substantially less sooty than it has been in the past. Barely smoked eventhough I'm premix. We checked my carbs and they're actually quite a bit rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back