Winter and De-Winterizing your Boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
In all reality ther is anti freeze that is enviromental friendly...ask for it at the auto parts store...
Here is some information on adding the antifreeze. Be sure to use anti freeze made for aluminum block engines. You need to follow the service manual method exactly. The service manual says to pinch hoses, and insert the fluid from the top water line. On some models you needed to pinch 4 hoses. What I did is buy vice-grips with smooth jaws ($5.00 usd each). Fill it with around 2 liters of antifreeze, un pinch one hose, put another 6 oz., wait, then remove the vice-grips. Almost all the fluid will then come out at the bottom. The idea is to mix the antifreeze with whatever water was in the cooling system, so it doesn't freeze.
Karl

Winterizing 1997 GTI and GS

Hi everyone.
I bought a pair of 1997s late in September and managed to get both of them out a few times. Right now they are both in my heated garage and I've started winterizing according to the PDF manual I have for them. But the manual is a bit sketchy and covers so many different models. So I want to make sure it's protected from freezing for sure!

So far, I have flushed and fogged the engines while running, then disconnected the enginge drain hose and the 2 black hoses that run in and out of the top of the engine and tied them all together. Then I raised them above the top of the engine and secured them for storage. Then I poured about half a gallon of the antifreeze into each of the engines, until it started coming out of the tell tail holes.

Is this enough to prevent freezing if I have to put them outside? I'm sure there must be more to it, like draining water from and/or getting antifreeze into the exhaust, etc....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll also be changing the lower gear lube and doing a full inspection per the manual but my main concern right now is making sure I have adequate freeze protection on both of these.

Thanks in advance, this looks to be a great forum!

-Doug

Attachments

• 100_3430.JPG
    100_3430.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_3433.JPG
    100_3433.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_3448.JPG
    100_3448.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 47
Exhaust...?

Welcome Doug.......

It sounds like you pretty much covered the bases. I would like to think there is more than one way to skin a cat...., but the only thing I might point out but probably doesn't make a lot of difference, since you got fluid from the tell-tale line, is your not suppose to pull the inlet line from the pump. You are suppose to clamp it, then remove or set up a way to pour antifreeze into the cooling water outlet line. This will flow water backward through your engine and tuned pipe, then back into the head. You can leave the inlet line pinched if you like and just leave the antifreeze in the system, or un-clamp the hose and let it drain.

Your exhaust system should be o.k. but if you'd like to be really sure, you can take the small hose off the tuned pipe at the water injection and squirt a little in it too.......:cheers:

That's good to hear, thanks! Now, when you say squirt a little in the tuned pipe.....how much would you say we're talking? I have no idea how much water actually stays laying in any part of the exhaust system on these things.

It gets REALLY cold here so I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks again, much appreciated!:cheers:

Whats up SeaDoo Fam I'm new to the sport and now getting ready to Winterize my boat. i have 1995 Speedster twin Rotax with the oil pumps bypassed. Whats the proper way to winterize? Is there a site that has the step by step procedures and materials i'll need to buy. Any Help is appreciated

Warm Winter

seadoosnipe touched on it briefly above, but I wanted some additional clarity. My 2006 GTX and GTX Wake sit at my lake house that rarely dips below 45 even in the winter (central CA). I am also there at least once every 3 months.

Can I add sta-bil and just fire them up (less than 5 seconds) every time I'm there instead of winterizing? There's a good chance I'll take them for a spin over winter.

Thanks

The thread isn't closed so I thought I would ask.
Is there an updated version of this for older skis IE 1996 GTX

Thank you so much as these are some of the very good precaution one needs to take to protect his/her boat for different season throughout the year

Closing thread for now. If you have some info that you think should be added to this thread please PM me!

I have 2004 Seadoo Sportster. Can anyone tell me how fog the engine for winter if it need be. It is a closed loop system for winterizing so I think only have run antifreeze through the system until it flows out. So, that being said. Do flush it out again in spring to put it on the lake?

Back