When is it safe??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

houseofcash

Hi All

Okay so I'm new to the PWC world! Just bought my first Seadoo 2 weeks ago! I am excited to get her on the water. Anyone know when it would be warm enough to take her out in a shorty wet suit? I own a trailer on lake Erie, which opens May 1st. So I will be taking her out on Erie.

Is May to cold? Am I crazy?

Thanks!!

LOL... No, your not crazy!!! Just really wanting to have some fun.

I have a friend in BC and he rides in the lake up there, with a wet suit, as soon as the snow melts. So, get your wet suit and go give it a try, whenever your heart desires.

In the colder weather, you might want to make sure you idle a bit longer, get the motor really good and warm before going at it full throttle. You may also find you need to use your choke a little longer to warm up, but after it's warm, it should be fine.

Depending on where the boat was purchased, it might need to be re-jetted. The motors that are run down in the south part of the states, have warmer are so run leaner than those that are tuned to run up north. So, you might have to enrichen your low speed jet. But, I wouldn't do anything until you got on the water and run it for a while. After that, looking at your spark plugs will tell you if you need to add more fuel to the run.

Thanks for the reply "Seadoosnipe" glad to know I'm not crazy to ask the question. You can say I got the winter blues... To bad it was so cold today, we has sustain winds of 70kmh with gust up to 100. Would have been some serious waves out there!! What's the coldest anyone went out in?

LOL... No, your not crazy!!! Just really wanting to have some fun.

I have a friend in BC and he rides in the lake up there, with a wet suit, as soon as the snow melts. So, get your wet suit and go give it a try, whenever your heart desires.

In the colder weather, you might want to make sure you idle a bit longer, get the motor really good and warm before going at it full throttle. You may also find you need to use your choke a little longer to warm up, but after it's warm, it should be fine.

Depending on where the boat was purchased, it might need to be re-jetted. The motors that are run down in the south part of the states, have warmer are so run leaner than those that are tuned to run up north. So, you might have to enrichen your low speed jet. But, I wouldn't do anything until you got on the water and run it for a while. After that, looking at your spark plugs will tell you if you need to add more fuel to the run.

your assuming he got a 2 stroke....but no need to do any of the above with a 4 stroke!!

Your not crazy at all, I go out in april at my cottage in Musoka without a wet suit.
coldest i have ever riden in was about 5 degrease celcius so just above freezing. You just gotta make sure you warm the engine up real good before you go WOT

Your not crazy at all, I go out in april at my cottage in Musoka without a wet suit.
coldest i have ever riden in was about 5 degrease celcius so just above freezing. You just gotta make sure you warm the engine up real good before you go WOT

Well i feel much better about going out now in April! i pick up my machine on april 13th. I can't wait! my first time out im gonna keep it close to home and launch in "French Mens Bay" if this weather keeps going the way it is we maybe be able to start it up in March!

yup the weather in ontario has been pretty nice this winter. you could start it up right now in march lol but i wouldn't ride it just to dam cold. right now my ski isnt even winterized, it got real cold the other night about -8 Celsius but i just didn't have it in me to go out in the freezing cold and winterize it again lol. luckily nothing happened, i know in april it still does get freezing temps but i dont worry because i keep it in the water and its less likely to freeze in the water. Be safe and have fun with your new seadoo!

Nathan

Erie is shallow and will warm up quick. If you like waves that's the lake for sure. Crazy waves. Hey if mine was running I would have had it our 3 weeks ago. last run was January 6 in Burlington Bay with a news reporter. 18c on Wednesday March 14.

The way this weather is looking, there won't be any ice anywhere shortly. I plan on taking my boat up to the muskokas in the next couple weeks.

well just checked water temps for Erie & Ontario Lakes. currently sitting at 40 to 43 F, thats 6c... is it safe? have my machine ready to go here!! just not to sure about the water temp. ive been trapped all winter and am eager to get out there!!

Sure it's safe, just don't fall off. But IMO some nights up north are still below freezing so not safe for your ski, but your call.

I would say it's safe. The marina i keep my boat at up north has quite a few boats in the water, so I believe it is safe besides a couple degrees bellow freezing wont freeze your ski to quickly at those temps. just my 0.02 :cheers:

Nathan

Back