What's normal noise and vibration? 2004 Utopia 185 200 Optimax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsoulier

Hi, just bought a 2004 Seadoo Utopia 185 with the 200 Optimax. Seems to run great, slight vibration at idle which I realize is normal for a 2-stroke. The question I have is how much vibration should there be at WOT? The boat seems to get up on plane quickly and has a top speed of 45 on the speedo but I can feel some vibration on the floor through my feet. Is this considered normal?

Thanks.

Jordan

It's a 2-stroke... so yes... it's loud, and there are some vibes. But it's hard to say without being there.

If you think it's excessive... get a compression reading to make sure all the cyl's are happy. Also... changing the spark plugs can help smooth it out.

Also, make sure all the bolts on the rear of the jet drive are tight. I've had the ones holding the nozzle and wear ring work loose during normal operation. It felt like someone left the ladder down when the boat got on plane.

Hey Jordan,

I bought a 2002 Sea Doo Utopia 185 Sport with the 210 HP carbureted motor last February (they had the Distinctive and Sport models in 2002, the Sport was the newer hull and trim colors that ran from 2002-2004). So I have the identical hull as your boat and spent all boating season last year getting used to it and enjoying it. I previously owned a 1996 Sea Doo Challenger for seven years (great little boat) so I wasn't new to owning a 2-stroke jet boat.

I was surprised at how much smoother and quieter (quiet is probably due to the engine being covered much better in this boat than the Challenger) the Mercury was vs. the Rotax (don't get me wrong, my experience with the Rotax was nothing but great, I would definitely own a Rotax powered machine again). I feel very little vibration at idle and absolutely none at WOT in the Utopia. Now I know that we don't have the same motors, but I see higher speeds on my speedo and do not experience any vibration at WOT (I would think your injected motor would be smoother than my carbureted motor). Last season I regularly saw 50-53 mph on the speedo (I broke out the GPS once last year and while seeing roughly 52 on the speedo I saw 48 on the GPS) and the number of riders really doesn't seem to affect top speed too much (these boats leap out of the water and on plane and have plenty of power in my opinion). With that said, I think you may want to give everything a good look over and possibly throw a new set of plugs in it like Dr Honda suggested. BTW, I just threw a new set of plugs and wires in mine last night (NGK BUZ8H off eBay, 6 plugs for $26 to my house, was keeping my eye out for a great deal and found these over the winter) and worrying about the age and condition of the wires after handling them I also picked up a Magnecor KV85 wire set (Magnecor wires are one of the best out there, pure silicone jackets, the last set of wires you'll buy...Magnecor P/N 65218, although I think you have different coils and might need P/N 65131?), I highly recommend the Magnecor wires, a little pricey, but they'll outlast your motor (I previously co-owned and operated an automotive performance shop for some time during the 90's and was a Magnecor dealer if you couldn't tell, along with being a Vortec dealer until ProCharger came out with their intercooled blowers, then we became a ProCharger dealer...sorry, I tend to ramble sometimes).

Now that I've written a book, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think you may have something a little off with your boat and I'd give it a good look over. Jet pump, impeller, plugs, etc...

I only use the Quicksilver Premium Plus oil and run 91 octane fuel from either BP, Mobil or Shell (not looking to start any debate as to whether or not higher octane fuel is better or just a waste of money...just want to share what I'm running through my motor, which runs quite smooth). Here in Michigan gas dealers used to have to label their pumps with a tag if their fuel contained ethanol (ethanol bad...again my opinion, but it's not hard to find things to support it) and BP, Mobil and Shell were the only dealers that did not have ethanol in their fuels here. Unfortunately the law changed and dealers no longer have to identify their fuels as containing ethanol so I continue to use the brands that previously didn't contain ethanol in hopes that they still don't.

Love my Utopia and I'm sure you're going to as well. Just wanted to share my thoughts on your vibration concern, hope everythings in good order for you and enjoy the boating season!

Attachments

• IMAG0519.jpg
    IMAG0519.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0520.jpg
    IMAG0520.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the advice guys. I went to go and change the spark plugs tonight and when I took the flywheel cover off I found that the previous owner never put the cover back on correctly and the flywheel chewed through part of the air channel to the compressor.
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/soulierj/EngineCover.jpg
EngineCover.jpg

Now I'm a little worried about the plastic shavings that got run through the compressor. Any advice on what I should check for to make sure that no damage has been done?

Thanks,
Jordan

Just noticed that my boat has some play (about 1/4" side to side) on the nozzle and think it could very well be where my vibration is coming from. How do I adjust this to take up the slack.

Jordan

My engine doesn't have that on the cover. Let me dig into it a little.

As far as the nozzle... where is the play at? Just in the steering nozzle?

The nozzle has some play that doesn't move the steering wheel. My thoughts that the rotational force of the jet could cause the nozzle to shake back and forth.

Just pulled the plugs and they are the original factory plugs (still have black paint on them) so definitely need these changed out NOW.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back