Whats max RPM for the SC 215 hp Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigmri

Guys,

I'm taking my soon to be 2007 Challenger 180 215hp for a sea trial in a week and a half. What is the max speed and max RPMs I should see?

This boat is still on warranty till 2011. If I rebuild the S.C. should I stick with the BRP steel washer kit to keep BRP happy? The boat currently has 31 hours and only had the 10 hour service performed.

Craig

Congrats on finding a boat! According to the spec sheets its 8000 rpms. I have read some people state the same. In the first 10 hrs its only 7800 rpm though. I just had my 10 hr service but my max rpms appears to still be 7800, not sure why. I would say as long as the boat screams up to at least 7800 rpms then its fine. If you feel it 'slipping' along the way or stumbling at all then there is a washer problem. The boat will very quickly get up to max rpms. It will take a bit for the speed of the boat to actually match the rpms.

As for not doing the service, I'd maybe contact a dealer to make sure that hasn't voided the warranty. The '07s were also notorious for having innaccurate hour meters. As in guys take the boat in when the meter reads 25hrs and it comes out reading 45. The dealer can check the real hrs on the motor using their dyagnostic tools.

If its possible it may be a good idea to bring it up to a service center just to get a once over. If nothing else to confirm the hrs are actually 31. If it turns out they are higher you might be ale to neg. more.

Remember if anything doesn't seem right just walk. Its hard in the heat of the moment buy you'll end up regretting it if you don't. You know what you're doing though. Good luck!!

Robert,

Thank you for the info. The owner of this boat is more anal than I am and so far I have a real good feeling about this boat. You can see the pictures half way down this thread:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=17156

The boat is impeccable and looks like it is perfect. Of course if ANYTHING suggests otherwise during the Sea trial I'll leave it. I'm pretty neurotic about my stuff so I have no reservations walking away if somethings amiss.

OK so between 7800 and 8000 RPMs suggest the supercharger is working OK. Thanks! What about top speed? Have you got yours to about 45?

Craig

I hit 43 on my gps last Saturday. That was with a full tank of gas, 5 people, tube, two coolers, tons of safety equip etc. That was with moderate to low chop, no white caps. Assuming its just the two of you and weather is decent you should read mid 40s no problem. I think I've read closer to 47-48 with just me and the wife once during break-in. I've never really run it under lighter load since the 10hr service.

Looks like a very clean boat!

One thing I noticed is no wake tower. To be honest, I think there are some nicer aftermarket units available. Also, no carpet. If I could do it again, I'd likely pass on that too. It has to be pulled out everytime and hung out to dry over some lawn chairs. If you keep it in the boat the water doesn't want to evaporate when it gets underneath. Will start to stink if it gets bad. I'd probably get some of that hydroturf stuff in the case of this boat. Looks cool and no problems with mildew or snaps etc. No bimini, but if your like me you'll never use it anyway. I've never even opened mine. Last is lack of depth finder. Since I've installed the Lorane GPS/fishfinder/depth finder I've found the factory unit to be redundant. You can even program it to warn you at a certain depth. Plus the maps built into the lorane are excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,

This boat does have the Bimini and in FLA its a MUST HAVE. I agree on the carpet. In fact, just yesterday when we were checking into a new 2009 180 SE my wife commented on how she wishes it didnt have carpeting because the snaps in the floor are not pleasant on your bear feet when the carpet isnt installed. And we would never use the carpet.

As for depth finder I'm thinking I'll go with another Eagle Cuda 350 GPS/fish finder combo. I liked it in my U-205 and its only $200.

I'm not sure how I intend to address the wake tower issue. If I go aftermarket I'll never find a cover to fit it. In my case I'm keeping the boat in the garage but if I ever take it on vacation and leave it outside I'd like to have a cover option.

Craig

Sounds good on the bimini :)

For the cover. I don't think that's a big deal. If you get a tower just buy a regular cover and have one of the gazillion upolstery shops down there customize it to fit. A friend here at work just did the same thing to their boat.

Hmm....Thats a great thought.....This boat will come with the Seadoo factory cover....Just have it modified....BRILLIANT!

Craig

I use a factory modified cover. The back holes ar actually in the right spot on mine.
As for the carpet. I have it but am putting hydroturf under it so if I want I can still use the carpet.
So glad to see you looking at seadoos instead of yamis.

Cooling

Rex,

It came down to two issues for me. First the SX210(the smallest new Yamaha) wont fit in my garage and two, the raw water cooling on the Yamaha is so "yesterday". Finally, I just cant wait to rebuild my first supercharger! :rofl:

Craig

I use a factory modified cover. The back holes ar actually in the right spot on mine.
As for the carpet. I have it but am putting hydroturf under it so if I want I can still use the carpet.
So glad to see you looking at seadoos instead of yamis.

how do you no that it needs to be rebuilt if you havent srove it yet? or are you gona rebuild it for sheets and giggles if you end up buying? if thats the case photograph and document everything and maybe they will give you a little sticky. then you and karl can be besfriends for life. :cheers:with karls cooperation of course. :boxing_smiley:

Rex,

I tell you what....If I undertake the SC rebuild, I will make a "Supercharger rebuild for dummies" procedure. :hurray:

I have no idea if it needs a rebuild or not but I know it does have the ceramic washers so its gonna eventually get the rebuild.

Craig

Craig:

You will love the hydro-turf. I took the carpet out of my boat the day I brought it home. I used a leather punch on the hydro turf to make a hole for each of the floor snaps so it lays down perfect.

Had my 180/255 in Tampa Bay today. It was like a sheet of glass. My GPS top speed was 51 MPH @ 8150 RPM with just myself and 3/4 tank of gas. It was great. Hope these pics help you decide on the Hydro-Turf...best upgrade I could have done. Also, I just ordered a Solas impeller, SS wear ring and SS nozzel from Riva for the boat. They claim it will raise top sped 3 to 4 MPH, and make the hole shot 30% quicker with no cavitation...we will see......

Bucky

143.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great BB! Cant wait to see how you like the upgraded propulsion components. BTW, I live up in the Brooksville area and often hang out at my sisters Marina down at Isla Del Sol in St. Pete.

We'll have to hook up some day.

Craig

B.B.

Question...

Where did you get your hydro-turf from? I called hydro-turf and they claim they do not have a mold or template for the 09' models and up. I have a 2010 Challenger 180. Did you buy an 07'-08' template and modify it? Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi hecto,
I have the 2010 c180. The 2008 package will fit your boat as it's the pack I put on mine. The diff to the 2006 is the holes in the bit which covers that small cover in front of the bench seat. I used another flat sheet to cover the seat in the walkthrough. It's not part of the pack. I'm away right now but I'll post a pick of my modified boat for you when I get home tomorrow.
The turf as others have said is the best upgrade you can doo. Sorry
Cheers

Here is the '07-'08 template on a 2010 c180, its exactly the same. I believe that little hatch is the only difference to the pre-06 models. The step under the seat, & the walls of the swim platform I made out of another flat sheet of turf.

cheers Davo

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4287.jpg
    IMG_4287.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the compliment. The hydro is light grey on the platform & granite on the walls of the platform & inside the boat. We've spilt coffee & allsorts on it, but it washes off. I took the press studs out & bogged the holes then laid the turf. Very easy to clean, looks as good as carpet if not better. The grey streaks through it goes well with the upholstry & breaks up the colour nicely.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back