What went wrong with 08 speedster launch

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHESAH

Yesterday, was the first time getting my Speedster 150 in the water. Everything seemed fine getting into the water only, I was not able to accelerate past 4mph at 4800rpm in full throttle:( Can someone please explain to me what I may have done wrong??

Jet pump or drive shaft problem
You need to remove both to see what’s happening

It’s like a manual drive car with a worn out clutch

Jet pump or drive shaft problem
You need to remove both to see what’s happening

It’s like a manual drive car with a worn-out clutch

Thank you, bud. It was parked almost 3yrs so thought I was free and clear to go since when I powered up the console it read-only 66 hours. I followed maintenance instructions Snipe posted, drained oil and fuel then replenished with new, purchased a 4-Tec plug set, and changed filters.

The one thing I thought may have made the difference is I didn't spray XPS prior to installing plugs.

Now, I wonder if 66hrs true since the driveshaft or jet pump are more complicated issues:(

I wish it was easier to find PWC technician out here in Nj. I do have a great car mechanic who I hope will be able to help me figure out the problem. Its a shame, looks like another year wait after the restoration came out totally awesome:(

Are these problems issues typically know as repairable or do old parts need to be replaced?

Minimum will be a jet pump kit and then check shaft and impeller once removed
Aftermarket parts from WSM performance parts or Shop SBT

This problem probably has nothing to do with your jet jump, unless the bearings failed. The first thing to do is scan for fault codes and find out why it won't rev past 4800 rpm.

Chester

Something is wrong with his engine, maybe a sensor. It might be in limp mode. I already said in my post to scan for fault codes and find out why it won't rev past 4800 rpm.

Chester

I'm with Chester, seems that you may be in a limp mode ( unless you have a plugged jet drive). Have you checked your oil level?

I'm with Chester, seems that you may be in a limp mode ( unless you have a plugged jet drive). Have you checked your oil level?

Hi, yes the oil stick did read over the full line. A person who was at the launch ramp said that was because oil was still hot, to check when cooled down. One thing I know for sure is i didnt put a single drop of oil above the amount I siphoned out. I was under the impression it was in limp mode only it seemed a bit too fast. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough to be sure. It took off steady, no heavy vibration or choking but once passed 1/4 of throttle remained at 4800 rpm give or take 10-50 rpm never exceeding 4mph even with throttle pressed all the way down. We pulled it out of water a couple of times to check if something was clogging but nothing.

How do I scan for codes?

I was about to order jet pump repair kit..Im not sure what to do..Its likely a rookie mistake on my part..

In the picture below (top left-hand corner) is a cut-off switch/surge protector located along the power line coming up from battery. Tried it open and closed and nothing.

Also, I forgot to mention the first time we took it out of the water I noticed one of the drain plugs was not closed correctly:(
1569130147248.png1569130147248.png

Last edited:
Hold off on the repair kit, sometimes the prop may be chewed, most of the time the wear ring is scored, but in that case, the engine revs, but the boat doesn't go. Check your pump for stuck debris. Are any warnings coming up on the gauge cluster?

Hold off on the repair kit, sometimes the prop may be chewed, most of the time the wear ring is scored, but in that case, the engine revs, but the boat doesn't go. Check your pump for stuck debris. Are any warnings coming up on the gauge cluster?

Nothing on the guage cluster

Nothing on the guage cluster

I checked by eye, looks clean. Should I remove the pump? I am also unsure which gear im supposed to be in when inspecting. I am going to check all the fuses tomorrow.hopefully I get lucky.

How do I run the scan you mentioned earlier?

Best get yourself a manual they are dirt cheap online
Does it rev above 4800 out of the water on the trailer ?

I ran the engine for about 30 seconds to flush but when i reved it I was more worried to cause damage with a mistake. I did not think to over push or confirm RPM range but it did sound like RPMs were going way up at barely half throttle. I will confirm this for sure today. I am unclear how to avoid causing damage when I run engine out of water:-/

Thanks a lot for helping out btw and being patient.

I will look into the manual to help me get oriented..

You can run on the trailer with water hose connected for about 5 mins owners manual link is
page 112 for engine /exhaust flushing

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&s1=8c194536-a0c1-4a33-b0b7-42e91cfe9cb3&brands=seadoo,sportboat&type=og

check on your gauge if you have check engine message?

I looked through operating manuals this morning but Im not sure if the manual specific to my boat is found in manual section of the forum, nor was I able locate the M2 jet pump maintenance guide that is often mentioned.

After running engine flush, reved up to 5800 then shut off I found the Oil looks perfect and no codes appeared. Im not sure what to do.. Im going to go check the fuses

What is the oil level ?
Should be between low and full
These engines hate being overfilled
If u not getting fault codes then that means sensors etc are good
A few faults that don’t give you fault codes is
Low fuel pump pressure
Dirty injectors
Water in fuel or old fuel
Jet pump bearings
Wear ring clearance too big

Think you said this boat stood for three years
If yes
Best dump the fuel and check fuel filter at base of fuel pump module
Think you changed plugs , did you adjust the electrode gap ?
If you send me an email I Candoo send you a 2007 manual that should cover your boat too
gary_garnett
@yahoo.com

I removed all the old fuel, added approx. 10gal of new fuel and seafoam, topped off fuel prior to getting in the water.. Should I still dump the fuel?
I did not adjust gap when I replaced spark plugs:(

Once you get it on the hose, see if she'll rev up to the max RPMs (7800 - 8000K). Just do a quick check to see if the motor can do it. Has the super charger ever been rebuilt? You can check the condition of the clutch by removing the outlet tube and see if you can spin the impeller by hand. You should not be able to.

Once you get it on the hose, see if she'll rev up to the max RPMs (7800 - 8000K). Just do a quick check to see if the motor can do it. Has the super charger ever been rebuilt? You can check the condition of the clutch by removing the outlet tube and see if you can spin the impeller by hand. You should not be able to.

Thank you J, i'll give it a shot tomorrow. Im not sure about the supercharger, i'll check it as well.

Gazza mentioned a few things earlier today that wont throw codes and another friend directed me to an old seadooforum post about the wear ring titled, " Need help ski wont go over 7 or 8 miles an hour shakes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back