What to look for on a 2001 Seadoo Utopia 185- Calling Dr. Honda

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Novice

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and wanted to ask a few questions in regards to buying and inspecting a 2001 Utopia 185. The boat is coming from a mutual friend who is the 2nd owner since 2003/2004. He has had it winterized after each season, by trained mechanics. The boat is in good condition considering some vinyl issues. He has had it up on a lift out of water during the winter months and covered. I am going to inspect the boat this weekend.

What should I be looking for during the inspection? He said that this boat doesn't have an hour meter, so I really don't know what the true hours are? Not sure if that is a problem since the boat is mechanically sound. I am pretty mechanically inclined, so I was thinking about doing a compression test.

What numbers should I be looking for in all 6 cyclinders?

I was told to look into the tubes to see if the propellars are clean with no dings or dents. I can do that with it up on the lift...

The engine itself, the things that have been changed during his ownership has been the spark plugs, oil and all three fuel filters. He also told me that a belt snapped when he had it out and that was changed as of 2 years ago. Not sure what belt he is refering too?

Does this boat have a timing chain or belt? Any help or knowlege or what to look for, would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

p.s. I had this over on the 2 stroke section and realized later that this post belongs here. Plus, I was told that Dr. Honda is the man who could give me the best advice, since he knows these boats pretty well. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Well, a good place to start is the compression test. You are looking for 125~135 psi on a Merc engine.

But... I can say this... if the engine hasn't been rebuilt/replaced... then you are looking at an engine soon.

One thing that doesn't jive with your post is about the belt. There are Mercury engines that have a belt, and turn either an alternator, and/or an air pump. But that boat should have the 210 engine, which has neither. So... before I can give any good advice... I need to know what engine it has. I guess it could have a 200 Optimax... or it could have been swapped for a newer 240 EFI.

Find out... and we can go from there.

One last thing... The merc engines do have an hour meter. But, it takes a scan tool to read it. (Mercury dealer should be able to get the time) But the total time is a moot point on a 13 year old boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
> But the total time is a moot point on a 13 year old boat.

Why is that? Isn't the wear mostly based on hours? Thanks.

> But the total time is a moot point on a 13 year old boat.

Why is that? Isn't the wear mostly based on hours? Thanks.

Yes and no.

Yes... WEAR has to do with hours.

BUT

NO... when it gets to an older boat... that thing could have been dipped into salt water once a year for 13 years... and not properly maintained. In that case... it may only have 100 hrs on the engine... but be rotten.

OK, that's an extreme case... but it's the truth.

THEN... on the other side of that coin... let's say it was used a bunch the first 4~5 years of it's life... and then been parked for the past 7~8 years. In that case... parts not in oil will be rusty... and the seals will be dried out. Boats like that are almost WORSE !!! Basically, you will see a very clean boat with crazy low hours, and pay a premium for it. But, what happens is... after the first trip or two... then all those dry seals start to leak, and all the rust polishes off. So... then you have fluids leaking, and a blown engine because of a leaky crank seal. (I just warned a buddy about that one, and he fell into that trap)

I've said 100 times on this board... an extremely low hour toy is almost worse than an abused toy.

Basically with that many years in it's life... there are WAY too many factors involved to know it's health. Not to mention... with a boat... it's probably changed hands a few times, so you wont' have a full story on it.

OK well thanks for that dose of reality. Well we'll see how it goes. I may have hit the sweet spot (I hope)... I bought a 2001 Utopia 185 w/ 210 Merc EFI. The previous(original) owner bought it new in 2003. Michigan-use only. I don't think he ever parked it for years at a time but it was always trailered & not heavily used. Don't know total hours but he said he went through about one tank of the 2-cycle oil in the 10 years he owned it. If there is anything special I should do or keep an eye please let me know.

The 210 isn't an EFI engine. It has carbs.

As far as anything special to look for... there really isn't. Just be careful on the first outing, and if there are any running issues... DO NOT push it. A lean run on a 2-stroke engine can be a death blow.

Oops. I meant DFI, really. :ack: So far so good. No backfires, running rough or anything like that. The more I throttle it the more it wants to go. Thanks.

210 isn't a DFI either. The 200 Optimax was the DFI engine. You could have it... but it will say Optimax right on the flywheel cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back