2001 Utopia 185 2/200 Opti - hesitation/surging during acceleration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cymertony

Went out today with my boys and after 45min of wakeboarding, started getting hesitation, surging, and loss of power while accelerating. Pulling them up would be okay initially, but eventually it would happen while I pulled them up too. Once I backed off the throttle everything was ok, until I started accelerating hard, then it would happen again.

I had ballast bags loaded up under the back seats so I thought maybe that was causing an issue with the fuel line or tank, so I emptied them but no change. Drove around the lake at about 20-25 mph no problem at all, at about 4000 RPM but if I tried to accelerate from there same thing would happen, and I would back off again.

No problems restarting, no beeps... no idea. Took a short video while idling in the water... everything seems fine but does my belt seem loose to you? Belt was replaced two years ago. Haven't dug into things yet, just checking in with the group in case you have a good starting point for me. Boat had plenty of grip/power during launch but I feel like it wasn't getting enough fuel during subsequent acceleration. I've had a couple issues in the last two years but it's the first time for this issue.

I do have a great mercury shop locally that will work on it, but the lead time is like 6wks during the summer.

Drop some knowledge on me

Tony

Although I built a deck across the fuel tank to prevent damage, it appears the weight from the ballast bags flexed the plywood and pinched the vent line coming back from the VST. Removed all that and adjusted the vent line position to remove any pressure on it. Once I get it out on the water we'll see if that fixes it. Just in case, I've also changed the fuel filter and will be changing the water separating fuel filter as well (once I find my filter wrench). In the pic you can see the vent line was running underneath the fuel filler hose, and was wedged in between the filler hose and the fuel tank strap. The weight was pushing the filler hose down, pinching the vent hose (in theory). Fingers crossed.

My water separating fuel filter does not have the water sensor installed, just the allen key plug where the sensor goes. Is this common practice?

1687207580387.png

Although I built a deck across the fuel tank to prevent damage, it appears the weight from the ballast bags flexed the plywood and pinched the vent line coming back from the VST. Removed all that and adjusted the vent line position to remove any pressure on it. Once I get it out on the water we'll see if that fixes it. Just in case, I've also changed the fuel filter and will be changing the water separating fuel filter as well (once I find my filter wrench). In the pic you can see the vent line was running underneath the fuel filler hose, and was wedged in between the filler hose and the fuel tank strap. The weight was pushing the filler hose down, pinching the vent hose (in theory). Fingers crossed.

My water separating fuel filter does not have the water sensor installed, just the allen key plug where the sensor goes. Is this common practice?

View attachment 62720

The water sep filter comes in the box with the pipe plug installed. The box should have the blue electrode included. Swap it for the pipe plug. Find the blue wire under the filter and plug in. That should doo it.

Changed inline fuel filter and water separating filter (with sensor installed this time), and ensured VST to fuel tank vent line was not pinched, but no bueno. Hope was the strategy but didn't work out. Lift pump ($80) and low pressure fuel pump ($120) are on their way from Quantum... I just can't do those Mercury prices... lift pump ($360)/ low pressure pump ($530).

I'll tie off once parts are in and boat is re-tested.

FYI thanks to Karent_Utopia for your 2020 post on this

Tony

New lift pump and low pressure fuel pumps received from Quantum and installed. It took longer than I expected, there was interference from the TPS and some of those 22yr old fuel lines did not want to come off. Will update again once I get out on the water and retest.

Links to pumps at Quantum Fuel Systems:
Lift pump (link)
Low pressure fuel pump (link)

Pics and video idling post-install (just realized I forgot to "shrink" the shrink tubing around the lift pump electrical connections):

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5789.JPG

Boat is running perfect again with the new low pressure fuel pump and lift pump. I am sure that the issue was the low pressure fuel pump, but in the interest of time I changed them both at the same time. Our perfect is 25mph @4200, 30mph @4800, 45mph @5500... didn't go for max, prob not much more there, I think max RPM is like 6600 or so.

Congrats on getting the boat running right again. I had been meaning to reach out and see what kind of performance you get since we have the same boat, but I’m tapping out at about 38-40MPH indicated at about 5500RPM. So I’m jealous for sure, but unsure if my performance is due to altitude (6200’) and/or a different prop for said altitude. But I’m also happy tooling at 35 in the chop that we usually get here.

Anywho, congrats on getting ‘er back up and running!

Thanks! I was nervous that my issue would come back so I just kept doing laps around the lake until I accepted that it was actually fixed.

I would drop a line to Glen Perry at Impros. He would know the impact due to altitude. I know it is possible to have your impeller re-pitched for altitude but not sure what impact it would have.

I recently had my whole jet restored by Impros and Glen was really easy to talk to and work with. I feel like if there was less chop I would have hit 50 but who knows. We literally never go fast anyways, the hole shot is what is key for us since the boys do lots of wakeboarding. Other than that is tubing and putt outt around the lake.

Impros@impros.com

Next project is noise reduction, the original insulation is disintegrating and making a mess.

Thanks! I was nervous that my issue would come back so I just kept doing laps around the lake until I accepted that it was actually fixed.

I would drop a line to Glen Perry at Impros. He would know the impact due to altitude. I know it is possible to have your impeller re-pitched for altitude but not sure what impact it would have.

I recently had my whole jet restored by Impros and Glen was really easy to talk to and work with. I feel like if there was less chop I would have hit 50 but who knows. We literally never go fast anyways, the hole shot is what is key for us since the boys do lots of wakeboarding. Other than that is tubing and putt outt around the lake.

Impros@impros.com

Next project is noise reduction, the original insulation is disintegrating and making a mess.
I used the following insulation material inside the engine surround and it cut the noise considerably for my 2001 Seadoo Utopia 185 200 HP . I used two layers of this ( $41) :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074STNQBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LINGDA 21.53 SqFT 10mm Heat Shield Thermal Sound Insulation Proofing Deadener Mat Car Noise Control Acoustic Dampening Moistureproof Waterproof (40"X80")​

Congrats on getting the boat running right again. I had been meaning to reach out and see what kind of performance you get since we have the same boat, but I’m tapping out at about 38-40MPH indicated at about 5500RPM. So I’m jealous for sure, but unsure if my performance is due to altitude (6200’) and/or a different prop for said altitude. But I’m also happy tooling at 35 in the chop that we usually get here.

Anywho, congrats on getting ‘er back up and running!

Looking at your RPM/speed numbers, you should check your impeller-wear ring clearance. 5500rpm should give about 46mph regardless of altitude. If you have the power to make the RPM, you should be able to make the speed.
Check leading edges of impeller blades, too.

Back