What I learned from my 1st carb rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgorekb

- The fuel fittings installed on the carb are somewhat fragile. You can't place a side that has a fitting face-down and hammer on the opposite side, or something will break.

- Instead of spending $8 on an impact screwdriver, I should have spent $30 (with a coupon) on an electric impact wrench. You will need one or the other, but I suggest the one that doesn't require a hammer to operate.

- Take your time prying off the old O clamps. Pay attention to what you're resting your tool against for leverage, or something will break.

- Although all passages and gaskets were already clean and in good shape, I had a significant difference in pop-off points for one carb pair. 1 was 38psi, and the other was 27psi. I have researched acceptable differences and have come to the conclusion that difference should not be more than 6psi (I'm know that's debatable.) My point here is that although everything looked clean and good, performing the actual tests revealed a problem. So I ordered all new arm springs.

- Don't throw away your old accelerator pump hose until you extract the recharge jets from within the hose.

- If I had to ever do it again, I would sell my old carbs on Ebay and order brand new ones from OSD. In my opinion, the cost would be about equal after taking into account: rebuild kits, new springs, tools, cleaners, blood, sweat, tears, hassle, gas going to/from Harbor Freight several times, time spent researching, and time spent off the water. OSD Sea Doo 787 800 Dual Carb Set

- The experience I gained from doing this myself just 1 time is enough to where I feel very confident attempting to tune and retune the carbs on the water. I know what conditions to look for, and I know how to address those conditions. I look forward to having a true push-button start and smooth idle!!

Big Thanks to all those members who helped me out along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar experience the first time I rebuilt my starboard carb. Luckily I had done my due diligence prior to undertaking the cleaning and rebuild. After coming close to stripping the head off of a couple of side plate screws I realized why I needed the impact screwdriver. I also realized why OSD includes the new socket head allen screws in their kit and headed out to my favorite specialty hardware store and got my replacements. Fast forward a year, when it came time to clean and rebuild the port side carb I knew exactly what to do and had the carb cleaned, rebuilt and reinstalled in a couple of hours instead of days..

Martin

I disagree about the electric impact. The "Hammer" style impact screwdriver is a mandatory tool for the carbs. BUT... a small block of wood, or aluminum is handy, to keep from hurting anything on the carb.

I think what I learned when I rebuilt my carbs, is next time I'm sending them to Dr Honda.

Lou

I hope it turned out well in the end, glad you actually checked pop-off!

I think a good quality screwdriver is MANDATORY, and a hand impact is advisable, not some cheap chrome plated phillips size #1 but one with an induction-hardened tip that properly fits the screw head. I'm guilty of taking for granted by assuming everyone has these but you make a great point, I should know better, I've seen some pretty poor looking screwdrivers in many toolboxes.

Secret tip (after you get the correct size bit that's not worn out and the new driver tip actually fits the screw head properly):

If you're experiencing a bit of trouble getting those screws out, clean the grease, paint and grime sitting deep in the screw head out well using a small sharp pick, hose it out with carb cleaner, then try a small dab of valve lapping compound on your screwdriver tip to help get a grip, toothpaste is a possible alternative.

I hope it turned out well in the end, glad you actually checked pop-off!

I think a good quality screwdriver is MANDATORY, and a hand impact is advisable, not some cheap chrome plated phillips size #1 but one with an induction-hardened tip that properly fits the screw head. I'm guilty of taking for granted by assuming everyone has these but you make a great point, I should know better, I've seen some pretty poor looking screwdrivers in many toolboxes.

Secret tip (after you get the correct size bit that's not worn out and the new driver tip actually fits the screw head properly):

If you're experiencing a bit of trouble getting those screws out, clean the grease, paint and grime sitting deep in the screw head out well using a small sharp pick, hose it out with carb cleaner, then try a small dab of valve lapping compound on your screwdriver tip to help get a grip, toothpaste is a possible alternative.

Polishing or rubbing compound works well too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back