What I did to my 4-tec boat today...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's basically what mine stated about the bolts. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam. They said the new stuff they'd put in there would be near watertight and should hold unless I go and loosen them up.

That's basically what mine stated about the bolts. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam. They said the new stuff they'd put in there would be near watertight and should hold unless I go and loosen them up.

For future reference, I would recommend that they be removed every year, packed with grease, then reinserted. I can't think of any other way of preventing it, unless someone knows of a substance that can be applied, to create a water tight seal, but, importantly, can be removed and reapplied.

Anytime you use a metal bolt that is of a different metal then it's being screwed into, you use something called Anti-Seize. Not only does it help prevent the electrolysis that leads to corrosion between dissimilar metals, it also helps to fight against corrosion caused by water exposure. It certainly doesn't eliminate it entirely, but it is a must when working with dissimilar metals. Steel spark plugs in aluminum heads is a common place to use anti-seize among the many other places. Keep in mind the extra lubrication of the anti-seize can effect torque specs ever so slightly, but most things you'd use anti-seize on shouldn't be of concern.

Also very helpful on trailer lug nuts.

antiseize.jpg

Anytime you use a metal bolt that is of a different metal then it's being screwed into, you use something called Anti-Seize. Not only does it help prevent the electrolysis that leads to corrosion between dissimilar metals, it also helps to fight against corrosion caused by water exposure. It certainly doesn't eliminate it entirely, but it is a must when working with dissimilar metals. Steel spark plugs in aluminum heads is a common place to use anti-seize among the many other places. Keep in mind the extra lubrication of the anti-seize can effect torque specs ever so slightly, but most things you'd use anti-seize on shouldn't be of concern.

View attachment 34453

I already use that on my plugs. Would you recommend removing the bolts and applying this before I put her back in the water?

For any nut or bolt that I install that doesn't require some type of loctite, I always use anti-seize. Especially if under the water line.

Well good day today. washed and waxed the boat, changed the oil/oil filter/ and spark plugs, and best of all took it out for a madden voyage.

View attachment 34453

Anti-Seize is a great product but not used to prevent electrolysis. That is why you use sacrificial zinc anodes on your boat. Please read this link. http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/sacrificial-zincs.asp These are available from any Seadoo dealer or you may order them online to fit you particular model. I have a 2008 Challenger (used in salt water) and had no problem with the removal of my jet pump to replace the impeller because the previous owner maintained the zinc anodes.

Anti-Seize is a great product but not used to prevent electrolysis. That is why you use sacrificial zinc anodes on your boat. Please read this link. http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/sacrificial-zincs.asp These are available from any Seadoo dealer or you may order them online to fit you particular model. I have a 2008 Challenger (used in salt water) and had no problem with the removal of my jet pump to replace the impeller because the previous owner maintained the zinc anodes.

While I don't disagree in the importance of sacrificial anodes, I also am a firm believer in the added protection of anti-seize in preventing galvanic corrosion. I've had boats for almost 20 years and have never had any issues with anti-seize coated boats or skis used in salt water. Many of my older 2 stroke skis didn't have sacrificial anodes on them, yet I never had any corrosion issues because of the use of anti-seize, especially compared to my buddies, who's skis never had any anti-seize used on them. Also works like a charm on the trailer bolts, where I've never seen a sacrificial anode.

The added protection certainly doesn't hurt and the cost of the anti-seize is pretty cheap, so far from cost prohibitive. A marine grade anti-seize is best in that some other anti-seizes have metal in them that can actually add to the galvanic corrosion process. A marine grade grease can be used as well. LocTite and jetlube marine brand anti-seize being the most common I've seen.

Just depends on what you read and what you have had good experience with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said not to use anti-seize lubricant. As a matter of fact I use the Permatex Anti-Seize on my sparks plugs and many other nuts and bolts. This product contains petroleum distillates, calcium oxide, aluminum, graphite and mineral oil. No zinc. Great product but does not prevent electrolysis. Seadoo part number 271001487 zinc anode does!

I agree. I was wrong on the electrolysis part. Sort of a common misconception when discussing galvanic corrosion. Poor choice of words on my part.

I'm curious to know the condition of the sacrificial anodes on the previous posters who experienced severely corroded bolts.

Are there sacrificial anodes in the reverse assembly/rear of boat? If so, I will order and change them out before I put her her back in the water.

Are there sacrificial anodes in the reverse assembly/rear of boat? If so, I will order and change them out before I put her her back in the water.

There sure are. You are a premium member ...Look at the schematic for placement and Seadoo part number.

My boat has about 10. I replaced 6 last year.

Did you have to get them from Sea Doo directly or did you swap them out with something else? Looks like Sea Doo charges $13/ea

I need to double check how many are on ours. From what I can see I should have (twin engines):

1 on heat exchanger
1 on reverse bucket
1 on steering nozzle
1 on pump/impeller housing
1 on reverse gate support

5 per motor. 10 total.

Live and learn. I checked the schematics, and I can't find one on the reverse bucket. Only shows one in jetpump, one near carbon seal, one on heat exchanger. So six total. But, there has to be one back there...

Live and learn. I checked the schematics, and I can't find one on the reverse bucket. Only shows one in jetpump, one near carbon seal, one on heat exchanger. So six total. But, there has to be one back there...

Part number 42 in the screenshot:

anode.jpg

Better pic with part number and name:

anode 2.jpg

There are two zincs, one on the reverse gate support and one on the reverse bucket. Rivamotorsports.com Ref. No. 5, Part No. 271001487 Description: Anode zinc, Price: 10.99 ea. There is also one on the ride plate, steering nozzle, pump impeller housing and heat exchanger. A total of six or seven zincs, all with the same part number.

There are two zincs, one on the reverse gate support and one on the reverse bucket. Rivamotorsports.com Ref. No. 5, Part No. 271001487 Description: Anode zinc, Price: 10.99 ea.

Thanks you, as well. Maybe our paths will cross at the Flats, this year! Just spoke to Brett, he stated that my anodes were at 80%, so he reinstalled them. I mentioned you when I saw him, and how you have recommended him on the forum. He asked I say, "Hi!"

Thanks you, as well. Maybe our paths will cross at the Flats, this year! Just spoke to Brett, he stated that my anodes were at 80%, so he reinstalled them. I mentioned you when I saw him, and how you have recommended him on the forum. He asked I say, "Hi!"

Brett is a great mechanic and honest person. He has saved my rear a few times. He is a person you can trust with your Seadoo. I was at the flats with my grand kids this past Wednesday afternoon. The kids went in the water 65/66 degrees. Too cold for these old bones.

They are hard to miss.
321.jpg
322.jpg
323.jpg
324.jpg

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with the nest above my starboard jet pump that I discovered when I went to take these photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back