What did I break?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

red2blue

Cruising this mornin...all good....full fuel, E 68, L 73, 71mph+ @ 8100rpm through 6"-12" chop

All of a sudden, no warning, complete shut down. Won't turn over...no gauges...then gauges...beeps...no beeps....battery seems fine on the water....sc has just a tick of blade movement at intake...not hot.

"seadoo" shows on the dash occasionally after I put dess on post. Thing is though...it'll stay there after I remove the dess from the post...for a bit...never done that before.

Slight frying sound inside the hull....forward of the motor on the port side...doesn't last long enough the few times it's done it to get my ear close enough to pin point the location.

All that is what happens when I use my regularly used dess. When I try my stand by...I get full gauges and a maint flash...when I try to start...nuthin...lose all gauges....slight frying sound front port side of motor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like a connection issue.

Get a meter on the battery and tell us the voltage when TRYING to crank the engine. Post your findings here. Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, tells us what happens?

It sounds like a cable issue. But do the above to confirm things.

Sounds like a connection issue.

Get a meter on the battery and tell us the voltage when TRYING to crank the engine. Post your findings here. Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, tells us what happens?

It sounds like a cable issue. But do the above to confirm things.

Thanks, Joe.

I'll be checkin things out shortly...heh.

battery at 12.44-12.18 all connections and fuses appear to be correct. battery will take a charge from charger. no beeps...when dess is plugged in."seadoo" comes up on dash when charger is on...stays on dash for a bit even when dess is pulled...no beeps though...no clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
battery at 12.44-12.18 all connections and fuses appear to be correct. battery will take a charge from charger. no beeps...when dess is plugged in."seadoo" comes up on dash when charger is on...stays on dash for a bit even when dess is pulled...no beeps though...no clicks.

What is the voltage when trying to crank the engine?

Okay...after settling on a hunch...doing a bit more research...

How about a bad DESS post? I got the battery on a charger...and then I hit the post with a wrench...able to get most of my display to come up with the standby key.

Thoughts?

I would still just check the battery voltage when cranking or pull it and have it load tested at a auto store. Batteries can take a dump just all the sudden and cause all sorts of weird problems. Also check the connections from the battery, on the selinoid, and to the engine ground & starter. The frying sound all points to low amperage. I've seen lots of people on here chase problems all over the place when it was just the battery. Its such an easy test, fix, and one of the first things I would look at in this case.

one last observation....

Got the battery to 13.2....clamped the test leads to the battery and watched while I connected the key to the dess post...

Dash come up but an immeadiate drop in volts to 6-7....needless to say...no joy on the ol' start button.

There's your answer. The battery has died. Be sure to replace it with a quality one. No walmart! Look for the mfg date stamped or printed on the side or top of the new one and get the newest possible. Use dielectric on the connections.

Battery for sure...

Low volts create some very unusual happenings.

Replace it and enjoy the rest of the summer...

Swapped the battery and was able to fire right up...and immediately got a code of p-1517.

Clues?

no compass on my ski.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapped the battery and was able to fire right up...and immediately got a code of p-1517.

Clues?

no compass on my ski.

It is a Compass out of Range code. I have read where other skis have gotten this code and in most cases after some sort of a repair and have had to get it reset for it to go away.

Maybe if the battery was disconnected for a time it may clear unless it is a "Hard Code" for some reason..

It is a Compass out of Range code. I have read where other skis have gotten this code and in most cases after some sort of a repair and have had to get it reset for it to go away.

Maybe if the battery was disconnected for a time it may clear unless it is a "Hard Code" for some reason..

10-4. Once I replace the battery I'll let Virgil's guys clear the code as well as the maint reminder that I've been puting off for too long.

Thanks again for all the help...everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back