What are the purpose of reeds?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RXz71

Just replaced my Reeds in my 02 RX The front cylinder's reed plate was cracked. What is the purpose of these things?

I am no two stroke expert, but I believe it is to keep the compression of the engine from pushing fuel back out the carbs.

OEM all day long. They will last longer than anything and will give the same performance as all the other aftermarket brands.

I tried some carbon tech ones, they seem to give it a hair more punch between 2-4k, but honestly, it's so hard to tell that I don't think it can really be verified... i can say if there is a difference, it's not worth any cost difference.

A word of caution. Dealers do carry aftermarket parts, but usually tell you if that is what they have in stock. I would make sure I told them I want OEM only.

Those look like carbon reeds.

I dont' know why any of the reed companies think Carbon is an OK product for this use. Carbon fiber... when in resin, is VERY stiff. That's why they use it in aircraft, and supercar bodies. It's not a good material to flex thousands of times a minute, and for a long time.

The only usable material for reeds is either Fiberglass, or stainless steel.

I had a reed issue too, in my Islandia engine. But mine was because the rod let go. (lol)

140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back