01 XP Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Chris_6.0

I recently rebuilt my 01 Xp 951. I did the pistons, cylinder, rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the rave valves and put new gaskets in the rave valves. I tested the reed valves and they were good so I didn’t replace them. I started it up and ran it on the trailer and everything was fine. About a week later I was planning to put it into the water and wanted to start it again just to make sure it would because this thing has always been temperamental. When I started it, it was fine then what started seems to be a knocking noise that I didn’t hear before. I am wondering where I should go from here, if there is anything I can check before tearing the whole thing back down to see. I’m thinking about starting with a compression check but wanted to get some ideas from here.

I would put it in the water and see if you still have the knocking noise. Out of the water mine sounds like it will explode but she runs well.

Just a FYI, 951's with higher hours typically do not survive a new top end. The crank and/or balancer shafts explode.

Back