Weeds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy

My 1993 Sportster ran so well I just bought a 2012 150 Speedster - right before winter. The Sportster used to pick up weeds but If I turned off the motor and sat for a minute they would usually drop off. If not, I made a stick with a nail on the end and would reach under from the swim platform and pull them out. The grate on the Speedster looks like its going to be a farther reach. I haven't even had a chance to look under and see what the grate looks like. Will the weeds drop out like my Sportster??

Thanks,
Cindy
Oneida Lake, NY

Hi Cindy, I had a 1998 Challenger 1800 that had the weedless system where you can open the grate remotely. I liked being able to open it to drop the weeds, did not need it too much though.

I recently purchased an 2008 Utopia 205 that does not have the weedless, the grates always stay closed. I do think that when the motor is shut off, since there is no vacuum, any "loose" weeds will fall off. Several times, I did get enough weeds where I had to pull them off. To do this, I just use a boat hook. I just stand on the boarding ladder on the back and use the boat hook to break up the clump of weeds. Whatever does get through the grate will just be chewed up and spit out.

By the way I also boat on Oneida lake as well, since I live in Liverpool.

Hi Cindy, I had a 1998 Challenger 1800 that had the weedless system where you can open the grate remotely. I liked being able to open it to drop the weeds, did not need it too much though.

I recently purchased an 2008 Utopia 205 that does not have the weedless, the grates always stay closed. I do think that when the motor is shut off, since there is no vacuum, any "loose" weeds will fall off. Several times, I did get enough weeds where I had to pull them off. To do this, I just use a boat hook. I just stand on the boarding ladder on the back and use the boat hook to break up the clump of weeds. Whatever does get through the grate will just be chewed up and spit out.

By the way I also boat on Oneida lake as well, since I live in Liverpool.

Thanks for your response enut. I have only been out on the new boat for the demo ride. This one does have a ladder and I hadn't thought about being able to stand on that to be better able to reach under. Thanks for the idea! I dock in Caughdenoy and the river can be full of weeds. I work in Liverpool. Please stay in touch. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions if you don't mind. Thanks. pagemaker45@yahoo.com

Another way to get the weeds out would be to get going in reverse and then put it in neutral and kill the motor. The rearward motion should help push water through the pump and out the intake grate removing the weeds. If that doesn't do it, then try the ladder or you're gonna have to go in and get them out manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back