Wear Ring woes.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsprinkles

Hi all, I've been a lurker on this page for quite some time and have pulled some really valuable information from you wonderful people.

My question i feel is unique mainly because i haven't seen this happen to anybody else when i searched. I own a 2007 Sea-Doo GTI SE 155 and have changed the wear ring about 6 times in the three years i have owned her. I have a feeling that there is some side to side wobble in the shaft or something because it really seems to chew through the rings. I can change my ring in about 15 minutes now :) , but i'm not really sure that is a good thing... I had a feeling it might be the carbon ring (?), but i am slightly more nervous to change that only because i never messed with the drive shaft of anything i have owned. I bought the ring anyway and i think the parts I would need to replace and hopefully make this thing a non headache for whomever i sell this thing to in a year or two.. Any help would be appreciated, this is something that has been bugging me for quite some time now.

How is it wearing? And where? I work on 4 of the same machine, and have also done my share of rings. Finally went to stainless
Rings on 2 of them. Are you drilling the retainment screw holes to the proper depth, or just putting the screws in? I know it is fairly critical, or the screws will sideload the ring and cause the impeller to touch it, and grind away..

How is it wearing? And where? I work on 4 of the same machine, and have also done my share of rings. Finally went to stainless
Rings on 2 of them. Are you drilling the retainment screw holes to the proper depth, or just putting the screws in? I know it is fairly critical, or the screws will sideload the ring and cause the impeller to touch it, and grind away..

It wears slightly more on the left and right side of the ring than it does up and down, but not enough to really notice a difference. Whomever I bought it from must have removed the retaining screws because the first time this happened there weren't any, so I bought two that fit in the holes predrilled and put them in said holes. I can spin the impeller manually without it touching the sides and it seems to be pretty equal. I'm pretty sure the rings I have are OEM (blue), but I'm not 100% sure. Do you notice any impeller wear from the stainless rings?

Stainless rings scare me, unless I would be running in pristine water, or building a racer where the engine and pump parts are swapped frequently. If you get a rock or some other debris in your pump, another weak link besides the wear ring will be found. impeller blades? splines? crankshaft? Something has to give - that energy will break something. I would prefer it be the wear ring...

I'm pretty sure the rings I have are OEM (blue), but I'm not 100% sure.

I've only seen the cheap wear rings on ebay that are blue in color but I don't have this year/model ski. Where have you been buying them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've only seen the cheap wear rings on ebay that are blue in color but I don't have this year/model ski. Where have you been buying them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I bought them off of the site that advertises on this forum. They told me the blue is OEM now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back