Water filter?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking of putting a small mesh, screen type water filter in my 787cc Rotax engine, just after the water line enters the back of the hull and before it goes into the cylinder head. I'm thinking I'll mount it on the back of the transom in an accessible area for cleaning it.
The reason for doing this? I live on a river that, at times, is known to be really silty. We also have a lot of sand suspended in the water and silt. Recently in a tear down of another 787cc engine, I noticed a sand build up in the bottom of the cylinder head. More so in the PTO cylinder than in the MAG. I guess because the water first enters at the PTO side. Collecting sand or other debris will create an insulating effect on the cylinder. This can cause overheating or un-even heating of a cylinder. It surely will reduce the engines efficiency.
Has anyone ever installed a filter on their cooling system? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on doing this? The only thing I can think of that might have an adverse affect would be the restriction of water flow.
Any ideas or comments on the matter would be greatly appreciated! :hat:

I have the same thing in mind too. Here are some pointers to remember...1)Besure to get one that is large enough to allow it to collect sand and debris while not restrickting water flow to the cylinders. 2)Be sure it allows easy access to remove the strainer quickly so in the event it is full of debris it can be done while on the water with wave action.3) It should be clear so as to allow to view the debris at a glance.

I have seen some on barkley jet boats that work well for them, with big block motors and work flawlessly. I'll look around to see if I can find a model # and a picture.

decisions.

Thats a hard one.
If the water flow is restricted it wont cool to good.
If the mesh fouls its a dead engine.

What if you installed a catcher that made heavy silt deposits settle in it.
Abit like a diesel inline bowl that catches the crud and water.
This could be a new feature on Seadoo's.

Good idea!

Now that would be a good idea!...Make it come in with a swirl in the tank and the cyclone effect would throw the sand and deposits outward to settle in the bottom of a tank. And that would keep the restriction issue at bay. Of course, if my engine got hot, I would hear my temp sensor alarm. It's a 1997 model. I'm sure I could trust it!.........:rofl:
The type I thought about first, like the one Karl is describing, wouldn't matter if it was clear or not. The water on the river is dark in color too. Almost a red color.....
I may experiment with some ideas.......maybe I can figure out something that I can patent!......:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back