Wake Boarding Input

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikec1231

My 28 yr old son just moved back to town. :)
After a few rough years in the downturn, I am starting to feel like we are coming out. He suggested we go in together on a jet boat. Just wondering what you all think about a 230 with a tower for wake. It seems like as soon ayou go to the "wake" edition the prices climb drastically. /he would be doing the wake thing and my wife and friends would be doing the weekend touring. We live in Virginia Beach and there is lots of water and beaches on the bay.
Thanks
Mike

If all you want is to wakeboard, you don't the the biggest and the baddest. I am wakeboarding on the smallest and the weakest, a 97 challenger. Actually, what I am doing is called "water skiing" on a wake board, because there isn't much wake behind my little boat. So there is no way I can do flips and big airs.

So, I doubt you need to upgrade to a WAKE edition.

id say go for it. the 230 is way big enough to put out a good wake and if you would want it even bigger, put in some fat sacs for more weight and that will give you the lift you want. then you can just deflate them for your weekend touring for extra space.

heck yea to the inventor of the fat sac:cheers:... scoop you might wanna cop one, will change your life, im a wake skater so my gtx's work miracles back in a shallow cove.. if it had room for a sac i'd have one on there and bindings pulled over my feet..:rant:

One word of warning...

When adding fat sacs to a boat not originally intended for them, pay careful attention to thru-hull fittings (fuel tank vents, etc.). Many of these are set up to handle the occasional splash of water but are not intended to accommodate near-constant submersion. If you lower the hull into the water with fat sacs too far, you could submerge fittings and cause some very nasty problems. Dedicated wake boats usually locate those fittings high enough that it's not a problem, but your average ski boat wasn't built with the same design requirements.

Some engine/muffler designs, too, are sensitive to the waterline. Sometimes it's solely for self-draining (Mercury SportJets are one example) in which case draining the fat sacs at the end of the day fixes it. But others have trouble with the increased backpressure on the exhaust outlets if they're lowered too far. Again, research your situation and figure it out before spending the money on fat sacs, pumps, water hose, etc.

Good luck!

If your looking to do alot of wakeboarding you'll love the 230 wake, I've got a 500lb sac in the front of the ski locker that I use for weight and a fresh water tank and a 1000lb of river water and I can hit 8'-10' high with only about a 10'- 15' aproach. The 230 wake also has a really nice ride!

sweet... miss having a real wake sometime's... another problem is with those boats that are built for riding those seem to come with something else built in... a
$65,000+ price tag... ouch, for this guy the boat in "as is" condition would probably get the job done!!!

It must be nice having the cash to be able to go all upgraded!!! :cheers:

I make decent money, but still have to settle with someone else's broken stuff that I need to fix and be satisfied with...

heck yes... it think its more fun that way...lol.... not really but it's easier to lie to myself, at least it makes me feel better... i hate bustin my knuckles on my "new" stuff all the time:rofl:

ive got two 400 # fat sacs that i place on the floor in the front of the bow and one across the back seat and the only problem i have is when somebody is driving that isnt used to that much weight in a smaller boat. they (she) dont realize you have to turn much wider than you would if the boat was near empty. and claims " it handles funny with those things " . haha

Last edited by a moderator:
thats what their there for....lol, to tell you something you don't already know!!! where would you be without her? lol

Another Option

Rex,
How does your 180 do with Wake? I just got a line on an 07 with tower that has only 12 hours for $13,500. It is about a 7 as far as condition. I am thinking for my first jet and my son, this might be a better ticket.
Thanks

forget the doo when boarding man....... they are only good to pull you to sliders in shallows. get a direct drive boat, like a boat boat. after boarding on all types of sea doo boats, i must say the transition between the wake is a bit rough. you will have to play with rope lengths and sacks to get the wake where you like it. and then the added weight is sometimes too much for the poor lil boats plus all your friends and an ice chests to even pull you up! plus the price of those boats is insane. find an older nautique or a mastercraft prostar. i only speak from experience and in my personal opinion, jet boats are not the way to go when wakeboarding. maybe to do some creek running,,, lol:cheers: but if you must, that 180 sounds like a good deal......

yep... the old natiques are some sweet rides... but i think this guy is in it more for leisure... and his son wants to pick up riding... so more for the old man and his friends the older ride boat might be a lil headache... for the son good.... buy the doo... look around for a nice older natique and go half in on that too dad, help each other out and go to the lake togather, then you'll both be satisfied!!!:cheers:

lol i didnt mean that old... my 86 nautique is a giant headache. (ford 351 carb.) my 96 prostar is a dream though. indmar LS1 350 efi, so every parts house in town has parts for it. (i havent needed anything but a fuel filter though) and i got into it with a rockin 12 speaker sound system, tower and trailer for less than the guys 180 he might buy. plus i have room for 10 ppl, ice chests and 4 boards and i dont have to take it to a sea doo dealer for any probs. i am just partial to a real boat!!! sea doo does make some great pwc's though. muhahahah

Old

OK, easy on the "old" stuff. :)
I like the leisure thing but also stay pretty active and I surf too. I thought I might be able to pick up on the wake as well. On the inside in the Lynnhaven River where much of the riding will take place, there are a lot od shallow areas, hense my desire for the jetboat. Sandy bottom but the tide moves the bottom a lot and even in the channel there are some thin areas. Now certainly going out into the Chesapeake Bay there are no shallow areas but I am sure there won't be much wakeboarding out there (chop).
Thanks

yae wish you were out west here i would bomb the lake with you... would love to ride behind your 96 prostar... got hung on skating here in the last year or so, now i got 2 seadoo's!!! would be a good time.... i think dad should just do it, buy the jet boat and tell his son...get lost..lol, whatever you decide to do in the end as long as your on the water it will no doubt about it be fun for all!!!

I have a Challenger 230 w/ Tower "note it's not a WAKE edition" of the boat and it works just fine for Wakeboarding behind, however you will either want more passengers or put a sac on it if you want the WAKE large enough to do serious tricks..

I'm planning on trying to WakeSurf later this summer behind and will let everyone know how that goes..

I ride behind the 230 Wake and I like it.

Perfect Pass:
When it comes to wakeboarding the thing this boat has that I've absolutely come to love and need is the Perfect Pass (Cruise Control)

The most annoying thing when your getting towed is an inconsistent driver...if the speed changes, the tension of the rope changes, and that totally messes you up when your setting up for a trick or cruising alike. Not to mention, the size, width, and shape of the wake change with minute speed changes. So you need your driver to not only go straight, but maintain that speed.

Now for a good driver, thats do-able. But the driver's in my family are noobs so the Perfect Pass is essential.

---

Ballast:
1,000 lb of ballast is legit, I don't know if i can honestly say I've noticed a huge difference though. I'll pay more attention this summer and get some video for you guys to check it out. I think it does make a difference though because everytime we pump the ballasts up I get injured...lol so I guess it must be boosting me higher.

---

Tower Speakers:

I just like having them, its like a status thing out on the lake...like ay what up, look at these speakers we got on this tower. I mean, when your at wide open throttle they do help you hear the music, but when your wakeboarding you generally could care less, you're more focused on what you're doing. In most cases, when we're blasting the music through the speakers it causes a lot of confusion on the boat because people can't communicate on deck. The PA system is cool tho, you can actually communicate well back to the rider if you need to.

---

That basically sums up my thoughts on the main three differences I see between the wake edition and the regular ones that add to the wakeboarding experience.

It depends how far your son wants to take that wakeboarding, if he wants to cruise, you certainly don't need to pay extra for the wake. If he wants to throw down on big tricks, it may be something to look into, however as mentioned elsewhere you might be better off w/ Mastercraft, Nautique, Tige, Malibu etc...but the problem with those boats is a comparable boat (with those cool wakeboard features) is waayyyy more expensive than the wake 230 (but the actual wake they put out should be a lot better, rampy, adjustable, etc.) But yeah so it goes back to how much your son cares about the wakeboarding. If its not that big a deal, don't worry about the WAKE edition,unless you can get a good deal on it or something.

I recommend the "wake" edition, but you might not need all the extra stuff.

How much wakeboarding will you honestly doo? (5%?)

The 230 WAKE is a nice piece...(if you can afford it)
Save some $$$ buy any Seadoo and with the addition of a wakeboard tower will make any boat look cool...

Any Seadoo will be fine for what 99% of the people are doing.
Unless your son is a PRO boarder.

Adam.

So, Sat I am going to look at 2007 Challenger se 230. Mint condition and all the perks and I do enjoy wakeboarding. I love crossing the wake and going out to the sides. I am still yet to jump a wake, but I mean I do not really care if I do jump a wake. It's just fun flying across water and maybe a somewhat of wake to jump some would be cool. I just read these posts and feel that this boat will make wakeboarding a living hell and I will have no fun and my friends will never wanna go out cause I have a little wake. Is this totally true, about the wakeboarding sucking ___?

No weed ports !!!

I just cannot see why anyone would drop $ 50K plus on a jet boat which can be totally disabled by a bunch of weeds or a nice solid stick. At least Yamaha boats have clean-out ports which work very well.

My Sea Doo has that probem but it was under 20K and there isnt anything in that price range comparable. But in the $ 50K price range, there are huge assortment of other choices including the Yamaha twin 1.8 Litre boats which put out 320 HP or so. That is, unsupercharged. Or the wide varity of V8 sport/ski or runabout boats.

Sea Doo does have the HP thats for sure - 510 of them. But for how long ? An American made V8 will last 20 years if cared for. A Rotax 255 will last maybe 4 years.

Not knocking Sea Doos but there are for sure compromises involved in ownership.

So, your saying this boat is a horrible idea. It looks like a sweet boat. The hull has a ton of room and has all the bells and whistles and is in mint condition. It's listed at 25k with 65 hours.

I've owned 6 different boats v drive,stern,and jet and my favorite one by far is my 2008 230 wake. I've been wakeboarding for 7 years have I road better wakes sure but if your not going pro how big of a wake do you need. With no ballast weight I can easily hit 6' out of the water all day long and with the ballast full my wife won't ride so if you plan on being a pro wake boarder then get a v drive otherwise you should be happy with the 230.

But this not the wake version. Really what is the difference? Does the wake just have tower and installed ballasts? I looked on ebay ballasts are not a ton of money. Thanks for answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back