Well, I pulled the trigger...input/advise welcome!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitardudeTx

After being out of boating for 20 years, the wife and I decided to pull the trigger and get a new toy...

We've located a 2005 Challenger 180 and are going to go pick it up tomorrow. The boat appears to be in good shape, some 'stretching' of the stitching in a couple of places, but no rips or fading. The boat runs good, recent tune up, two previous owners in the same family and the boat has always been maintained and adult used with under 200 hours.

We are doing a 'shake down' cruise in the morning when we pick it up, then bringing it home to West Texas. We plan to pull it for weekends on other lakes, exploring and playing, and the pulling the grandkids around on the tube.

What do I need to know about this model boat? What should I look at and look out for? Any advise on modifications? It has a wake tower and Bimini top that I believe came from Sea Doo, and the factory radio. Thinking about another stereo and tower speakers as well as a dual battery setup...anything else we might want to consider?

Thanks in advance for input!Boat 1.jpgBoat 2.jpgBoat 3.jpgBoat 4.jpgBoat 5.jpgBoat 6.jpgBoat 7.jpgBoat 8.jpgBoat 9.jpgBoat 10.jpg

Congrats on the boat.

If the supercharger hasn't ever been rebuilt, I would rebuild it. The new kits require rebuilds at 200 hours. You're there presently and if it hasn't been done it's better to do it now.

If you're going to be trailering, I'd maybe add a spare trailer tire and jack just in case.

Maybe look into some sort of floor covering (SeaDek or equivalent) to add some comfort and pop to the cockpit.

Definitely taker out and get used to how jets handle. They're different than stern drives and outboards.

Finally, enjoy your new boat.

Thanks JPass!

I called to get the numbers so I could have it added to my insurance and I was wrong about the number of hours! It has 55 hours, and a stack of receipts and work orders in a file of everything ever done to the boat or the trailer! Never anything major, full service every year before it hit the lake and full winterization in September every year to go with it!

I’ve always owned v-drive, inboard or outboards, but my father-in-law has a Sportster that I’ve played with a few times so while I’m familiar with jet drive dock handling, I’m looking forward to learning the tricks and quirks.

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe your motor has the ceramic washers in the supercharger. The boats usually ran a year behind the skis and I believe Sea Doo changed them over to stainless washers in 2007.

Check your paperwork for any paperwork regarding the supercharger washers.

I'd rebuild the supercharger regardless of hours if you do have the ceramic washers. They're a ticking time bomb and can destroy an engine. Cheaper to spend the $430 for the supercharger rebuild, then a new motor.

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe your motor has the ceramic washers in the supercharger. The boats usually ran a year behind the skis and I believe Sea Doo changed them over to stainless washers in 2007.

Check your paperwork for any paperwork regarding the supercharger washers.

I'd rebuild the supercharger regardless of hours if you do have the ceramic washers. They're a ticking time bomb and can destroy an engine. Cheaper to spend the $430 for the supercharger rebuild, then a new motor.
I have a 2008 anything from 2007 and lower has ceramic. Boat does look clean. 1000% rebuild supercharger

I have a 2008 anything from 2007 and lower has ceramic.
2008 BOATS did come with ceramic sc washers. Like stated, they are a year behind the skis. When i got my 2008 4 years ago with only 35 hours, first thing I did was rebuild the sc with the most recent kit. Ceramics were indeed in there...

Great boat, should be lots of fun and easy to own. One thing to be aware of is the 215hp version of these engines from 2004-~2007 had an issue with hollow exhaust valves. They would sometimes break off and fall into the motor during operation, destroying pistons. If you ever find a reason to pull the head, make sure you replace at least the exhaust valves. Don't mean to scare ya, just FYI.
Keep a coat of wax on it and rinse off after each salt use to keep it nice and pretty.

Congrats on the boat.

If the supercharger hasn't ever been rebuilt, I would rebuild it. The new kits require rebuilds at 200 hours. You're there presently and if it hasn't been done it's better to do it now.

If you're going to be trailering, I'd maybe add a spare trailer tire and jack just in case.

Maybe look into some sort of floor covering (SeaDek or equivalent) to add some comfort and pop to the cockpit.

Definitely taker out and get used to how jets handle. They're different than stern drives and outboards.

Finally, enjoy your new boat.

JPass. What kind of jack do you recommend?

JPass. What kind of jack do you recommend?

I went with a bottle jack (not sure of the weight, maybe 3.5 tons?). It's small enough to fit under the rear seats of our truck and has enough lift to get the wheel off the ground. I also have a medium cutting board to place under the jack in case I'm not on a hard enough surface.

I also have a ratchet strap in case I have to tie up the axle in the event of having to drive on 3 wheels due to a bearing or spindle failure and I don't want to wait for the insurance tow.

Well...as luck would have it, we went to pickup the boat Wednesday, put it in the water and wouldn’t even come up on plane...went back to the dock, 3 plugs latter it’s running better but bad cavitation on launch...so back we go to the dock, replaced wear rings and impeller, out again, now no gauges...so back in again only to find a problem with the stator and some other issues...

So we passed on it, got in the Expidition and went from Cedar Creek Lake, just Southeast of Dallas to Humble, just out of Houston and bought an Islandia. More boat, and will be replacing the the interior over the winter, but runs good, looks good and the guy who had it made a very fair deal at 8k...

Your story scares the heck out of me - all the boats I'm finding are a couple states away and I have the fever maybe I just need to slow down... Congrats on the Islandia..

Your story scares the heck out of me - all the boats I'm finding are a couple states away and I have the fever maybe I just need to slow down... Congrats on the Islandia..

The first guy was great, the boat just had issues that he wasn’t aware of either...that’s why we went and checked it out in person before handing over any money, and until it was as nice as we were told it was I wasn’t doing it. Learned along time ago, trust but verify, and be willing to walk away. We did, and ended up with a better boat because of it! I normally would not buy from an individual without having a mechanic ththat knows what’s up checking it out as well. Once they fix the issues, the Challenger will make somebody a nice boat...it just won’t be me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back