using rollers instead of bunks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon32689

who has switched away from bunk boards and got those roller wheels, THey look pretty cool, what does a set up like that cost and does anyone have feedback on them and or pics

I'd stay with regular bunks. They are much cheaper, they last longer... and besides... a ski is light, and the regular bunks help keep them in place while going down the road.

Im not sure it would work. Most of what I see rollers are a two person operation. Everytime I have seen someone load one and have to keep the engine pushing forward to keep boat on rollers while other person secures it.

Bunks are pretty easy on something like a pwc.

I suggest getting teflon slides and installing them on the Bunks.

You can launch super easy and when you retrieve, you go shallower. The advantage is, you are shallower, (which is better for your vehicle), the ski will be more straight on the trailer as it will be on the bunks, not floating above them.

Here is a picture of some color options...
IMG_0136.JPG

I just replaced my bunks, cost of materials around 25.00 about 1/2 hrs. time, first time in 13 years. Not too bad.

I prepared the new bunks at home, and installed them at the marina after launching, took about 1/2hr. for both sides. So took less than 1hr. for everything. Got all the materials at Lowes.

Lou

The rollers are a pain in the arse.If things move they can break or rust.You have less support for the hull because only a tiny bit of each roller ,touches the hull.Unlike a long bunk.You nearly have to winch the boat INTO the water because it just rolls off.The boat/ski sit a lot higher on the trailer which is not good for towing.If you have a LARGE boat on a trailer they can be an advantage at the ramp,but on small stuff they are about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike.Stick with the bunks

My trailer (SeaDoo trailer made by Moonshine), came with bunks which I just replaced.

The problem with rollers is it's too easy for the ski to roll back into the water. I usually load the ski myself and even with the bunks, and if the trailer is too far in the water, before I can get the winch hooked up, it rolls back into the water.

Lou

ya and my trailer is weird how it is made it uses 2X6 boards and they are long ways so i am going to replace them this weekend, i am going to get get 4 new boards and then i need to get carpet, the stuff at acedemy is damn expensive any thing else recomended? also what did you use to put the carpet on a staple gun or glue or what? thanks peeps

Hey Brandon,

My trailer used 2x4x6, I bought 2x4x12 treated, had them cut it in half, bought indoor out door carpet cut off the end of a 8'roll x 2', stapled with stainless steel staples, thats about it. Got everything at Lowe's 25-$30.

I also got 3/8"x1-1/2" galv. lag bolts & stainless steel staples.

Lou

cool so the indoor outdoor carpet will work just as good as bunk carpet, i think the bunk carpet is just easer to bend and all, can you post a pic of your set up?

Brandon,

Indoor outdoor carpet is what was on the old bunks, lasted 15 yrs., actually the carpet was still O.K., however one of the bunks broke.

I can take a picture, ski's in the garage, but I don't think you will be able to see much. I'll take a pic. of the trailer w/o the ski, this weekend.

Lou

okay cool will do man, becaue mine seems desined weird like the 2x6 is positionded to were the ski drives on it is riding up on the 2 inch part and is 6 inches tall you know, but it makes it were they clear the fenders good and sit good on the trailer i need to get a pic to lol

here ya go man this is a pic of when i got them you can see how the bunks are built

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_12.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_12.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 51
That trailer is nice. I am working on making mine nice lol. U rewired it and put all new led lights and cleaned it up now just need bunks and a little touch up paint. Did you see what I ment about my bunks?I'm going to Lowes today. Did theyhave black indoor outdoor carpet.

They didn't have black in stock at my store, I used charcoal grey.

Lou

hey man i tackled mine today, i just went to lowes after work bought 4 2x6x8s and then some stainless steel staples for my staple gun, and a big 8x6 sheet of carpet, they had charcol. i think i got out of there for 39 bucks, the staples were expensive. cut the boards to 6 foot and used some 3m adhesive spray i had as well as the staples, turned out really good. Used the stand i made when i was putting the motor in and pulled one ski off and put new bunks and then did the same to the other, not a bad days work. I think the trailer looks so much better now .

ya idk about a lifetime i used the crap out of them i made sure these bunks are gunna last at least 2 years lol its pretty good carpet to and treated wood so things should be good. I am pretty much done with trailer, i did new bunks all new wire kit and new led lights, did alot of touch up paint, well pretty much the entire trailer, all i have left is new wenches, but will get to that later mine work find for now .

BTW, I just put a new wench on mine last year. I did notice that Overton's has theirs on sale like half price, the same one I got last summer for 39.95, good deal, good wench. It's on their home page.

http://www.overtons.com/

Lou

Thanks man ill def check it out that's all I need now is 2 new winches may throw a cheap toolbox on to just for the lifevest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back