Seeking Trailer set up advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTFL

I have a new to me 2008 SeaDoo 230, on a new aluminum Karavan trailer(stock trailer for SeaDoo 230). Though this is a much bigger boat than I'm used to, I'm not new to trailering small boats and jetski's.

The problem;

I tried to lower the boat in the water till the water was on top of the wheel fenders and found it was not far enough down to launch, meaning the boat was not floating yet (shallow launches here in FL) and pumps were not in enough to assist. I lowered the trailer further in the water till the water was at the front bow support post and the boat was just lifting off the bunks and could be pushed off at that time with some effort but the bow keel does not have enough support and it rolled hard over the front bow roller causing a gouge in the rub rail or gunnel wrap and dropped approx 3-4 inches. Again this is a stock trailer for this boat and has a stock set up.

The next issue;

When I tried to recover the boat, I first tried the water level at the top of the wheel fenders and was able to drive the boat on approx 3/4 of the way and lost pump pressure and forward momentum. I then latched the bow eye and felt the extreme pull with the winch and stopped immediately. I got in my truck and tried backing down several times in 1 foot increments and though this got the boat up to the front bow support, it was 3-4 inches below the bow support roller. By this time I had so much traffic backed up, I drove the boat out of the water, this of course flattened the boat and I had a few inches to move the boat forward that could not be done with the winch, so I did something I've done before but really prefer not too, to the extreme. In a straight line I rolled the truck forward under 5mph and hit the brakes hard, this seated the boat properly on the trailer. Boat is fine, but until I figure out how to make this trailer workable for this boat, I will not be going out.

Anyone with this stock set up out there that has solved this issue? and How? or Anyone with a similar sized boat that has solved this? Or no trouble at all with the stock set up? Tips and Tricks? am I missing something? Does the trailer need extra equipment to support the bow/keel for launch and recovery? I can't lower the bunks anymore than they are, ???

Or is this something for professionals? If so, what should I look for?

Any help would be very much appreciated, my family and I love the boat, but launch and recovery has to be better controlled.

The issue is the shallow launch ramps not allowing the back of the trailer to go deep enough and keeping the bow high. Sorry, not sure how to resolve that.

Correct mikidymac, thank you, I thought I'd try and tap into some knowledge before I start throwing money at it.

The way I dealt with the shallow ramps and keeping the truck out of the salt water with my sportster was to attach a 2x6 by 12' board with the slick covers for keel support during the launch and recovery, worked great, very controlled. Light and small boat so I was not driving it on the trailer, just float it on and easy crank. The board was approx 1" below the keel when the boat was resting on the bunks.

This boat is significantly heavier than the 15' Sportster, I don't think that solution would work the same for my 230.

I'm looking at rollers for the keel from bow to stern?, just not sure, I don't have experience with rollers and how to place them when the bunks are to support the weight, such as how many would be actually needed and where strategically to place them to not interfere with the bunks.

I keep looking for pictures of other jet boaters and their trailer set up's but hard to find. The problem I was having though is not hard to find.

Personally, if possible. I would just back the truck in the water as far as needed and able to launch and load the boat. I do it. I don't have to deal with the salt water but if I did I would just rinse the truck afterwards if it was a concern. I deal with salt on the roads in the winter so I do understand the issue of the salt. But its only going to do damage if left to sit. Just my opinion though.

Can you spread the bunks a little to lower the boat a few inches before the keel hits the trailer.is it a torsion axle or leaf.if it's leaf can you flip the axle so instead of the springs on top of the axle the axle is in the springs.to drop the trailer height and third can you push the boat back on the bunks slide your winch stand back so the boat is further back but watch your tongue weight.you can also lengthen your tounge a few feet to make the trailer longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back