URGENT Help Needed - Engine Compartment FULL of water!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonZDel

Hello all. Long time reader, but first time poster here. I have an emergency situation and would appreciate any and all input!

We took our '98 Speedster to the lake for the weekend and had a blast. We decided to leave it tied up at the dock overnight, the first time ever, instead of trailering and relaunching the next day. However, the next morning the boat wouldn't start.

All of the gauges, horn, etc worked, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I assumed the battery was low and opened the engine compartment to take a look. To my surprise, the ENTIRE engine compartment was full of water. The water was even covering the top of the engines. I then pulled open the storage hatch in the floor and it too was full of water. We immediately had a friend pull us to the ramp where we trailered it and opened the drain plug which was completely screwed in. It took what seemed like 30 min for all of the water to drain. I have always read that when leaving the water it is good practice to fire up the engines for a few seconds to drain any remaining water. I tried to fire them up a couple of times, but they would not even turn over.

Tonight I got the mufflers and exhaust manifold apart and drained all the water, which was ALOT. I then removed the spark plugs and turned over the engines a few times. This shot all the remaining water out. WARNING for future DIY follks. Make sure you stand clear of the top of the engine, because all of the water (mixed with gas?) will spray forcefully out. It even hit the ceiling of my 20' tall garage with room to spare.

After doing this several times to get as much water out as possible, I reassembled everything. While I had the plugs out, I went ahead and put new ones in. I then tried to start the engines which now turn over fine, but they will not start. Everything turns over normally as if it were to start but neither engine quite ever ignites.

Do I need to spray something in the engine? Any other input out there!?!?!?! Thanks again.

the reason it aint firing, is because you still got water in the motor. Future reference, no need to pull the exhaust apart, just pull plugs, and hit start buttons.

You can remove the air lid, and pour a few cups of gas down the screens, to help "wash" the water out, while hoilding throttles wide open. Keep holding start button, to feed gas thru the carbs, to wash the water from them.

You'll also need to locate the 2-rear eboxes, remove the lids on them, and empty the water from there. With water in there, it wont allow a spark to produce.

Keep crank'n, flush'n the motor, it'll eventually "grab".

Make sure you do this pronto. You HAVE to get it fired up and run to heat up and get all moisture out. If not you will have major problems soon.

the reason it aint firing, is because you still got water in the motor. Future reference, no need to pull the exhaust apart, just pull plugs, and hit start buttons.

You can remove the air lid, and pour a few cups of gas down the screens, to help "wash" the water out, while hoilding throttles wide open. Keep holding start button, to feed gas thru the carbs, to wash the water from them.

You'll also need to locate the 2-rear eboxes, remove the lids on them, and empty the water from there. With water in there, it wont allow a spark to produce.

Thanks, but I have two follow up questions:
(1) What is the "ebox"? Do you have a picture of what this looks like?
(2) When you say hold the throttles wide open, do you mean the throttle controls from where you sit? So your saying to put them at full throttle and just keep pressing the start buttons over and over until the engine starts?

Thanks for all of the help!

Actually, make that THREE follow up questions:
(2) When you say hold the throttles wide open, do you mean the throttle controls from where you sit? So your saying to put them at full throttle and just keep pressing the start buttons over and over until the engine starts?
(3) are you saying to remove the plugs while pouring in the gas and turning over to flush out the water, or leave them in?

Actually, make that THREE follow up questions:
(3) are you saying to remove the plugs while pouring in the gas and turning over to flush out the water, or leave them in?

1. i think he means towards the front of engine black box.
2. need throttle wide open to open carb butterflies so fluid gets down
3. plugs out to wash away water inside engine

Last edited by a moderator:
in your engine bay, you'll see 2-black boxes, where the red cables run to. Pull the lids off, and get the water out from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back