Type III inflatable PFD?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm going to order two of these just to wear on the boat. But I noticed this particular model has manual inflation, which means you can blow it up without using a $20.00 cartridge. So my question is since it's a Type III can I wear it (inflated), while riding my Seadoo. It sure would be a lot lighter and less bulky than the vest I'm wearing now.

The guy that would know is [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] but I thought I would just put this out there.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...tic-manual-inflatable-life-vest-red--14001911

Lou

In theory yes. But,,, many states have an impact resistance requirement. I am positive this is the case with skis. But it may not apply for a boat. I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can get a confirmed answer.

Kevin, thanks for the information, part of the reason I'm getting these is the auto inflation, they are a lot easier to stow, when we wear these on the boat I will leave them on auto inflation, I just thought maybe we could use these on the ski's using the manual inflation, but the answer is no. The manual inflation would be handy for swimming, I think I'm going to order these, just for general use.

Lou

A few years back when skis started to get up in speed, the, CG amended the requirements due to "impact injuries" that were becoming a statistic that was not previously an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do these auto inflatable type III PFD's meet USCG requirements and can they replace the regular type III in the boat and pass inspection?

When I took a safe boating class, given by the Coast Guard Aux. they were really pushing the life jackets.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
For boating, I believe they do. I will confirm that just in case some change has happened that I am not aware of. But the last I knew, you are good to go with them. In fact, the USCG uses them on their small boats all the time now. Only difference is they are commercially built to a higher standard. But fall under the exact same specs and requirements.

From my limited knowledge and research, there are apparently two classes, I'm looking at PDF's rated for inland waters, seagoing ones are a higher rating.

After my recent accident I'm even more about safety, and these look to be very comfortable.

Lou

[MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION]

(At the bottom I threw in a blurb about the differences. And I believe you are correct about inland/protected waters as it is reasonable to expect a speedy rescue as compared to open water, (aka the ocean)).

Here is a copy and paste from the USCG page. I think this answers all of your questions. And,,, also gives some good info that makes them approved based on who can wear them and if they will be accepted to pass all safety requirements ect ect..

When was the inflatable PFD approved?

The Approval of the Inflatable PFD for Recreational Boaters became effective on April 29, 1996. [Federal Register (60FR13923) ]. This approval subsequently allowed boaters to purchase and use approved inflatable PFDs on their boats to meet the legal requirement for PFDs. The Recreational Inflatable PFD Standards ruling was effective on Sept. 24, 1996. [Federal Register (61FR13931)]. This ruling established approval procedures for manufactures of inflatable PFDs.

Who may use the inflatable PFDs?

Unfortunately, not everyone was approved to wear the inflatable PFDs. The inflatable PFD is not approved for children (under 16 years of age) and is not recommended for use by non-swimmers. The Coast Guard acknowledges there is no practical way for law enforcement officers to conduct field tests for swimming abilities. Therefore, there are no regulations restricting the use of the inflatable PFD for non-swimmers. The Coast Guard, being keenly aware of the unique risks involving the inflatable PFDs, has imposed strict labeling and information pamphlet requirements to explicitly state that the PFDs are not recommended for use by non-swimmers. On the issue of inflatable PFDs used by children, the Coast Guard takes the position that because of the importance of understanding how to properly use the PFDs, only persons over the age of 16 years are considered adults. This position defines who is an adult or child, thereby enabling the Coast Guard to set the limitation of usage on the inflatable PFDs.

Are all inflatable PFDs in the market place approved by the Coast Guard?

Most of the inflatable PFDs being sold on the open market are not approved by the Coast Guard. Prior to any inflatable PFD being approved by the Coast Guard, an independent laboratory must evaluate the PFD designs. The laboratory performs approval testing using the Underwriters laboratories (UL) 1180 standard. The UL standards were developed in accordance with the American National Standards Institute procedure for voluntary industry standards. An inflatable PFD design that does not comply with the UL standard will be labeled as a conditionally approved Type V PFD. The Coast Guard defines “conditionally approved” to mean that its approval is based on what the user must comply with in order for the PFD to be counted toward meeting the carriage requirements. The wearers of the PFDs are limited to persons at least 16 years of age and weighting more than 80 pounds. The Coast Guard acknowledges that there are no regulations currently preventing the sale of non-approved inflatable PFDs to the public.

Can someone use non-approved inflatable PFDs?

Coast Guard regulations do not prohibit the carriage and use of non-approved PFDs. However, carrying these PFDs does not count toward meeting the equipment carriage requirement. The Coast Guard continues to believe that in order to achieve the minimum acceptable level of safety and meet operational needs, only Coast Guard-approved devices, which meet specified safety criteria, should be counted toward carriage requirements. The Coast Guard notes that a poorly manufactured device could fail to provide needed assistance, or a poorly designed device could actually perform in such a way that the user is safer having no PFD at all. However, the Coast Guard agrees, in general, that unapproved equipment is better than no equipment.

Will the approved inflatable PFD satisfy the USCG carriage requirement?

Only if the user complies with the approval conditions will the carriage requirement be met. Unlike the inherently buoyant wearable PFDs, which must be readily available, an inflatable PFD must be worn to meet the carriage requirement.

Are there any serviceable condition requirements for the inflatable PFDs?

In addition to the requirements stated in 33CFR175.23 for inherently buoyant PFDs, the inflatable PFD must have a functional inflation mechanism-arming indicator. The air chambers, oral inflation tube, and manual inflation lanyard must also be in serviceable condition.

References:

(Coast Guard rulings are published in the Federal Register for open examination. Access to the Federal Rulings and the Code of Federal Regulations is available through the Coast Guard Web site. http://uscgboating.org)

United States. Department of Transportation. Federal Register: Volume 60, Number 121, Pages 32835-32860. Recreational Inflatable PFD Standards; Interim Rule. Washington: GPO. June 23, 1995.

United States. Department of Transportation. Federal Register:Volume 61, Number 61, Pages 13923-13931. Approval of Inflatable PFD for Recreational Boaters. Washington: GPO. March 28, 1996.

United States. Department of Transportation. Federal Register: Volume 61, Number 61, Pages 13931-13947. Recreational Inflatable PFD) Standards. Washington: GPO. March 28, 1996.

United States. Code of Federal Regulations. Navigable Waters. Title 33, Volume 2, Part 175, Subpart B. Washington: GPO. July 1, 1999. United States. Code of Federal Regulations. Shipping. Title 46, Volume 6, Part 160, Subpart 076. Washington: GPO. July 1, 1998

United States. Code of Federal Regulations. Shipping. Title 46, Volume 6, Part 160, Subpart 077. Washington: GPO. July 1, 1998

Extra Blurb.
Why are there several types of life jackets or PFDs?

Personal flotation devices are classified into various types based on the environment in which they are designed to perform and their intended use. The design of the PFD is tested on its characteristics of buoyancy and in-water performance. For example, the Type I is effective for all waters, especially open, rough and remote waters where rescue may be delayed. It is designed to turn most unconscious wearers in the water to a face-up position. Type II PFDs are designed for use where the water is calmer and rescue can be expected in a shorter period than in open seas. Type III PFDs are designed for protected waters where rescue can be expected in a very short period of time.

Interesting reading, I've been doing a little research on my own. Apparently there are three different types of automatic inflatable PFD's. The one's I have been looking at inland waters, which is 26lb. boyancy, are only rated as class IV, which as I understand is the same rating as a throwing device and not rated as life saving. The next class is coastal, which is 26lb. boyancy, but is rated as a type III life saving device, and is just slightly more expensive than the inland water PFD. The third is rated for open water, 35lb boyancy, rated a type III life saving device, it's twice as much as the one rated for inland waters, about $225.00 to $250.00, out of my price range.

Another interesting point, the inland and coastal auto PFD are rated for swimmers, the only one rated for non-swimmers is the open water model (35lb. boyancy).

The other thing that disturbs me is according to what I have read, all of these only have a two year life, so now I'm thinking it's not such a good idea. Oh well on to the next project.

Lou

2 questions....if a person wearing one of these were to fall down and hit their head (knocked out) then fall into the water will these inflate and turn the person upright?

OR if riding a ski and you fall off will these keep you afloat and inflate automatically?

They will inflate automatically, but being class III they will not keep the head out of the water. You need a class I or II to do that.

BTW these are not rated for riding a PWC, because they have no impact resistance, the are rated for general boating only.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
They do make auto-inflate vests that are rated as Class 1. However, they are expensive and are not treated within the same "general" rating system. In most cases they are almost supplemental. Like you will be wearing a Class I, II, or III item and ALSO have then auto-inflation as an additional item built into it.

They do make auto-inflate vests that are rated as Class 1. However, they are expensive and are not treated within the same "general" rating system. In most cases they are almost supplemental. Like you will be wearing a Class I, II, or III item and ALSO have then auto-inflation as an additional item built into it.

I've seen these for sale here in FL for quite some time at west marine and such, I believe its somewhat common for these to be used in a boat, fisherman, etc, maybe some charter fish captains might stress these vs someone using nothing, i'd say 95% of the boats I see on the water nobody is wearing any jacket at all except the little kids. I had a buddy flip over his 17' boat a couple years ago, every life jacket was stowed away out of reach and in his words "I had about 3 seconds to jump off the boat" Basically in his words were that if your not wearing a life jacket at the time, its already too late, even if your sitting on the dam thing. Now if your slowly taking on water you have plenty of time to get organized but in a real emergency situation, if your not wearing it your screwed.

I actually find my regular neoprene jacket to be quite comfortable, I don't even think about it anymore, and I always use it on the ski, even in a shallow private lake, but i've never used any protection when boating.

Back