Trouble removing wear ring - other tricks??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZSteve

I'm having trouble removing the wear ring on our 1996
GTX; it's black and not sure if it's original or had been previously replaced.

I initially tried the freezing method but it would not budge.
I now removed the impeller and cut out almost a one inch wide section thinking it would 'easily' fold in and than pull right out...:rolleyes:

It almost seems like it's stuck / glued to the inside of the pump housing.
I just put it back into the freezer hoping this will help release it.

Possible someone previously applied any type of epoxy?
Other suggestions for getting this thing out?

Thanks,
Steve

make sure you are going all the way through the fiberglass core too. I usually use a dermel tool and make two cuts, fold the ring in on itself with a flat screw driver. put the new ring in the freezer overnight and tap it in with a 2x4 block the next day.

make sure you are going all the way through the fiberglass core too

Well H3LL...I was using a dremel w/ a carving head attachment and thought I had previously read that to stop cutting at the first sign of white dust - I apparently stopped cutting BEFORE getting into the fiberglass core; first timer and didn't realize there was a hard core and not just the hard rubber or whatever it is....:facepalm:

Follow-Up question - I'm installing a white SBT wear ring:
- Groove end facing out toward the neoprene seal I assume?

Thanks again,
SA

Well H3LL...I was using a dremel w/ a carving head attachment and thought I had previously read that to stop cutting at the first sign of white dust - I apparently stopped cutting BEFORE getting into the fiberglass core; first timer and didn't realize there was a hard core and not just the hard rubber or whatever it is....:facepalm:

Follow-Up question - I'm installing a white SBT wear ring:
- Groove end facing out toward the neoprene seal I assume?

Thanks again,
SA

Yes sir. :cheers:

I did the same thing on my first pump. You need to cut through the same thickness as your new ring, use it for a guide. The goal is not to cut your pump housing.

I used a hacksaw blade and cut it by hand using the blade alone. This is so I was sure not to damage anything. Make 2 cuts an inch apart to remove the section, then use a screwdriver to lift up one of the cut edges and it will pop out. Just did this last week

Just did mine Sunday.. I literally used a flat head screw driver and a hammer (you can also use a wood chisel) and split it all the way down, then moved over about 1/2-1 inch and did the same thing.. Came out practically by itself (I also used the freezing method first, but it didn't work)
P.s... MAKE SURE you give the inner pump a thorough cleaning and blow it out with some air before putting the new wear ring in.. If you leave any particles or shavings it can make the wear ring not sit right, or not even go in all the way for that matter

seadoo challenger 1800 twin engine. First one i did someone kelp openning the freezer and it didnt do but the second one i let freeze for three (3) hours straight and it allmost fell out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back