WSM Wear Ring ..Same performance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Travisgg

Hey all seadoos running pretty good I've got a 1996 GTX 787. Done a lot of reading on the forum here it sounds like a wear ring issue but I just put in a new WSM ring... Clearance looks pretty similar to the one I just took out maybe get 0.4 to 0.5 of a millimeter between impeller and wear ring with my feeler gauge. Basically when I punch it from a stop it does start moving decently, but is hitting 7000 RPM and just feels like the tires are spinning and then it really grabs after a bit. It always comes up to plane no problem. Just feels like it's missing a little bit of traction at the start. It came with a stainless steel solas prop I believe. Every other speed no problem, just when you punch it, maxes RPM and spins the tires for a little bit but is still having forward momentum during this time just doesn't grab hard for a few seconds into it.

For comparison I've got a 1994 GTX 657 and when you punch it it feels like it's got traction all the way from low end to top end.

I think that prop is just messing with it?

Did you replace the neoprene seal?

Haha funny you mention that. Was debating putting one on but there isn't one listed for this model on the parts diagram, and the wear ring has a flexible rubber seal built on it which I'm guessing is why they don't show one required.

There is a neoprene seal in my 1994 GTX parts diagram, but I guess they changed something on this model? I can definitely put one on, but I'm thinking they did some design change for the 96 and they don't require the neoprene seal. But again I have no issues trying one...

Could be the impeller but could be sucking air at the pump seal or driveshaft seal.
Did you use the neoprene seal on the pump shoe when you reinstalled the pump?

No I don't know if these ones require it? I'll definitely throw one in though if it doesn't hurt anything! Plus I just realized I forgot to put my little rubber seal on the end of the drive shaft that goes into the pump. I imagine that just stops it from corrosion more than anything else...

Attachments

• PXL_20230819_182721327.jpg
    PXL_20230819_182721327.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230819_230143307.jpg
    PXL_20230819_230143307.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 8
It can help with some cavitation.
But yes, you should be running a neoprene seal.

Alright put it back together with the neoprene seal. Still about the same. I do notice though a little bit of vibration through the handlebars that wasn't there before. It's not terrible but just noticeable. Maybe that seal slightly adjusted something.
But as as the little bit of slippage off the start, I'm thinking it's probably the aftermarket prop. The dude that put it on before i owned it said it gives him a little more top end speed. Maybe it robs a little low end traction who knows.

The stock impellers are difficult to beat and are matched to the ski hull and engine performance. I'mpellers don't make power they change the range. Same problem with aircarft. :)

I swapped impellers on a 1996 SPI I had. It had a factory pipe and was pretty strong for a SPI of that year. It was a real dud with the more aggressive impeller. The ski could not accelerate ouf of a turn. At the time I was just getting into skis and it was my first one (5-years ago). I thought I had carb issues but decided to swap the impeller back to original and viola !!! performance returned. I hate taking skis apart unnecessarily so I don't like experimenting. :) I"m lazy. Ha ha.

Back