Trickle Charger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobNY11563

I've seen some posts on this (most of them closed). My jetski is down in FL and I'm down at most once per month, sometimes it can be every other month. During 'longer' periods when I'm not there, I had an issue where the battery alarm would sound when I first started the jetski, although never did it not start. So, I had started using a solar trickle charger which ultimately eliminated the battery alarm sound.

The solar trickle charger 'claims' to not overcharge....and clearly it cannot charge at night or even all times of day as it's not in direct sun all day. My question is, is it okay to leave that connected for weeks on end? I can go 4-8 weeks (or more) where I'm not able to ride. Is it better to just not use a trickle charger and do it as needed when I go down.....I don't want to degrade the life of the battery, yet I used to get the battery alarm sound prior to a trickle charger.

Also to note, my battery only lasted 2 years and died recently (out on the ocean) so it's being replaced. My friend who stores his jetski next to mine as well, also uses a trickle charger and his battery is 100% fine even when load tested in recent service.

just make sure the battery is not connected to the computer…otherwise,,,you can trickle it all that you want.

My 2 cents.

A properly charged battery can sustain a majority charge for months. I would just add a battery disconnect and run a charger to bring it up to a full charge and turn off the battery and leave it.

Come back, turn it on and head out.

I live in Canada and I take my battery out of the boat before storing the boat. I then put the battery in my basement on a shelf. I pull it out 7 months later and it is typically at 75-80 %.

My 2 cents.

A properly charged battery can sustain a majority charge for months. I would just add a battery disconnect and run a charger to bring it up to a full charge and turn off the battery and leave it.

Come back, turn it on and head out.

I live in Canada and I take my battery out of the boat before storing the boat. I then put the battery in my basement on a shelf. I pull it out 7 months later and it is typically at 75-80 %.
Thanks for the advice. Any input an a decent battery disconnect? I see a few out there....ones that look to connect to the negative.

just make sure the battery is not connected to the computer…otherwise,,,you can trickle it all that you want.
Agree 100% POPPS. When charging batteries on Sea-doo boats or pwc's for any reason, ALWAYS disconnect the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back