2005 SeaDoo RXT, fuel pump primes and TOPS clicks every 10 or so seconds with engine off and key detached.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Eey0n

So, I think this is what I'm hearing. To sum it up when I turn ski off and detach the key I can still hear a whirring sound from the front and a faint rapid clicking sound from the back.
It started a few weeks ago. I took it out and got a random CEL. brought it back in, took the key out and back in. CEL was gone. Figured must've been a fluke. Went back out for a few to make sure. No issues. When I got it back on the trailer it seems find but I later noticed that the display wasn't turning off and it was beeping 4 times intermittently. I had things to do so I figured what the heck I'll come check it out again when I get back. When I got back it finally stopped... everything seemed normal. The next day I started it up, no issues. A couple days after that I put it in the water, battery completely dead. Took it back and hooked it up to my battery conditioner, put it on trickle charger for a while. Starts up fine again. But I also am noticing those intermittent mechanical sounds which I can only assume is what killed the battery in the first place. Brought it to my local guy, he says "one of my computers isn't turning off' I can only assume it's probably MPEM? They made it sound like they couldn't diagnose which it was and suggested just throwing a switch on the battery. Thoughts? Is there anything else I can do here? Or should I just go with installing a switch and hope for the best?

There are diodes in the rectifier that fail in 2005/06 BRP sleds and skis that allows current from the battery to flow the wrong way to unwanted loads. Its called a regulator/rectifier and the diodes can be tested, check out you tube for that. If it is an intermittent problem you can mess around with the pins in the connector with your test probes to try and get it to fail. I picked up a used OEM one on eBay that works fine.

That's good to know! Considerably cheaper than the MPEM too. I'll test it out and see what happens

Back