1999 GTX LTD Electrical Issue - Battery dying during operation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

sonin

I am new to jet skis and new to this forum. I have a 1999 GTX LTD the top end of the motor had been rebuilt and the new pistons are +1.5. The motor had been broken in since rebuild but not run. Initially it will start and run fine but after a few minutes it will stall, but restart right away. Eventually it wont start. I had the battery on trickle charger prior to the run and measured 12.87 V before putting it in the water. After I got it back on the trailer the better had 12.38 V. Based on things in this forum, I assume it's the Stator or something in the MPEM. Looking for some diagnostic advice and any thoughts. Thank you.

I'd test the battery voltage with the engine runnin. May just be the rectifier which is not an expensive part. You may have a bad fuse.

I'd test the battery voltage with the engine runnin. May just be the rectifier which is not an expensive part. You may have a bad fuse.
I tested the battery at idle before putting on the trailer 12.38V but it was hard to get accurate number due to it floating. Did not appear to be increasing but the numbers I was getting were low to mid 12 V range. Checked the fuses in the MPEM and in the box in the near the battery all tested good. I don't think this model has a rectifier, believe it is built into the MPEM.

Some of the tests, perhaps all of them recommend checking voltage at 5000 RPM. I don't like to rev like that out of the water. There are tests you can do to check the voltage coming off the magneto. I'd expect to see around 13volts and higher during a test. I seem to remember someone rigging an exterior rectifier to one of these skis.

Some of the tests, perhaps all of them recommend checking voltage at 5000 RPM. I don't like to rev like that out of the water. There are tests you can do to check the voltage coming off the magneto. I'd expect to see around 13volts and higher during a test. I seem to remember someone rigging an exterior rectifier to one of these skis.
Not sure how to do the test at 5000 rpm on the water and I dont have the proper adapter for running cooling water on the trailer. I have also read about retro fitting an exterior rectifier, however, I'd prefer to be more confident in what the problem is. As for checking the voltage from the magneto, that was where I was headed, I think you can do it at the plug on the MPEM, but the contacts are small and rectangular, need to rig something to fit in there.

I think if you use alligator clips you can attach your voltmeter to your battery so you do not have to hold the leads on. You could then just cold start the ski and rev it up high for a few seconds to get a reading and then shut it down so that nothing gets overheated.

Back