Trailer tires... 175 vs 185 will it matter?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gb387

My trailer has 185's on it now, are 175 going to create a problem, I would not think so? They​ are much cheaper but same load rating. This is a tandem axle trailer.

Anyone else chime in on this subject?

That information does help, great, thanks!! If anyone else wants to jump in that would be great.

Our trailer had the 175s on it when we got her (trailer tag reference 185). I have since swapped the tires with the same as I did them one axle at a time. So far everything has been fine. If we ever replace them again, I'll be putting on radials and ditching the bias ply.

Our trailer had the 175s on it when we got her (trailer tag reference 185). I have since swapped the tires with the same as I did them one axle at a time. So far everything has been fine. If we ever replace them again, I'll be putting on radials and ditching the bias ply.

Why radials vs. bias ply?

Radials are stronger and grip the road better. Bias can be a smoother ride once warmed up, but can't carry as heavy of a load and they "give" on turns where radials grab.

Mine is single axle, after discussing with guys at Discount Tire, I switched to 175s about two years ago...Inside of my fenders indicated the 185's were rubbing, when gear was loaded inside the boat or around curves etc....
Since switching I have towed trips as long as 5+ hours with zero problems.

This is good to know. I am sure we have the same trailer as we have nearly the same boat. I guess the nice thing is I have a set of 175s mounted on some aluminum wheels from my double jet ski trailer I sold. I will toss them on see how they look and go from there, sounds like I should be fine with 175 radials.

I think the load ratings were the same, and difference in height was about 5/8", which, if they are rubbing inside the fenders, like mine were, is a good thing, not to mention the 185's are bit harder to find, and cost more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up getting 4 Carlisle bias ply off Amazon for $38 per tire. Couldn't be happier with the price, I have had good luck with Carlisle tires now I just need two more matching aluminum wheels.

185 vs 175 doesn't really matter

Take two 185 width tires from different companies and the actual tread width can carry quite a bit. Just like with car tires, some 175's can actually be wider then 185's

Quality tires are the key..... not fun saving a few bucks then having a tire blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back