Trailer rust repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigJake

I'm pretty much dismantling my trailer to repaint the rust spots, replace the fenders and replace bolts with stainless steel.
From what I can tell the fender bracket is just attached to the frame with the 2 u-bolts. I don't see that it is welded to the frame anywhere or am I missing the welds? The leaf spring has a bolt through each end of the same bracket. I want to get at the rust on the underside of the bracket. Is there tension on the leaf spring or can I just remove the 2 bolts holding the spring to the bracket then remove the 2 u-bolts and take the bracket off to repaint and then just easily reassemble. I realize I need to reassemble everything in the exact same position to not throw off the wheel alignment but I wasn't sure if the disassemble and reassembly was that simple or if reinstalling the springs was going to be an issue?
I was planning to just grind/sand the rust down to bare metal and spray with rustoleum primer and paint. Is that sufficient?

Attachments

• trailer 1.jpg
    trailer 1.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 26
  • trailer 2.jpg
    trailer 2.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 25
  • trailer 3.jpg
    trailer 3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • trailer 4.jpg
    trailer 4.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
jf anyone is interested, there was no tension on the spring. I was able to remove the axle and mounting bracket from the frame for full access to the rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back