Trailer Bearings

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to a trailer store, tractor store, or Academy or Bass pro shop. Bring one of yours, and match them up.

Shouldn't be much of a difference between brands and if I am not mistaken, there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of bearings.

Oh, walmart may even have them, depending on the size.

Get new bearing buddies while you are at it.

If they are really bad, you can get entire hubs with bearings already installed at some of these places (academy and bass pro)

I would go to an auto parts store and see if they have them. they just need the number off the bearing. unfortunately bearings arent the same. try to get Timken bearings.they are the best and they are a bit more money,but they last. i have seen an influx of chinese made bearings for automotive applications as of late and they are inferior. they have a lot of play in the rollers and dont seem to sit in the race like they should. hope this helps!!

If you change the bearings you will need to also replace the racers on each side of the wheel.

If you change the bearings you will need to also replace the racers on each side of the wheel.

Unless there is something i am missing there will be an inner and an outer bearing on each side, each one of those sits in a "race" and yes, all of it needs replaced.

I am swapping out mine Saturday. I will try to take some pics. I found entire new hubs with races pressed in and bearings and grease seals on ebay for $30. Also came with all new lug nuts. If you are gonna take it apart because you think there is a problem, might as well make sure it is all good.

I am gonna swap it all out and put on new wheels and tires. That should fix my horrible vibration.

The entire hub assemblies at academy were reasonably priced.

I did it that way because my old hubs had never been serviced by first owner and were trashed. This way i got new lugs, nuts, bearings and races were already installed, etc. I just had to clean up the spindles and install. Still needed plenty of grease and new bearing buddies.

It is so much easier and cleaner to replace the entire hub if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. I have attached a great article on repacking/replacing bearings if that is the route you should decide to go.

Attachments

• Wheel Bearing Repacking Or Replacement.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 48
It is so much easier and cleaner to replace the entire hub if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. I have attached a great article on repacking/replacing bearings if that is the route you should decide to go.

Agree 100%. nothing like having wheel bearing grease on everything!!! :)

If you have a vibration or something that you can feel is wrong, replace them. I had a bad vibration that was caused by a bad tire, but went ahead and replaced everything else while it was apart. Jack it up and push/pull on the wheel and try to move it side to side and see if there is any play. You can usually tell if there is a problem .If you want to just swap bearins every year for preventative maintenance, you can. They are only like 15 bucks for both wheels.

bearings

Mate,to grease the bearings is the most important thing.It's a bit messy but grease is cheaper than metal.Put a ball of grease in the palm of your hand about 1 inch around.With the widest part of the bearing being at the bottom,start to scrape small amounts of the grease from your palm into the bearing.Like you are taking scrapes of the ball of grease.What this does is to force the grease into the bearing rollers.As you do this you have to keep rotating the bearing with each scrape so the entire bearing gets greased.When its good, you will see grease coming out the top of the bearing cage.Job done.It may take 3-5 times to go around the bearing.But it works properly.Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back