Tow rope vs. 2017 GTI impeller

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the hits keep on coming for me. Seems like I can't get two weekends of riding in without something breaking down.

This time over half of our tow rope is wrapped around the impeller shaft and at least part of it is inside the impeller. I was in neutral while my spotter was pulling the tube in. The next thing I know is the engine shuts off and she says "oh crap". Luckily we were near some rocks and were getting ready to take a break anyway. So the wife and I tried to untangle the rope while in the water and got nowhere.

Judging by what I've read in other threads, I can expect to replace several parts. If I'm lucky (LOL!) I might be OK after cutting the rope off the shaft. I was going to take the intake guard off to make clearing the rope easier. It appears that at least one of the bolts has some sort of caulking involved.

If I take that grate off, what sealant should I use when I put it back on?

I'm really hoping there is no real damage. I'm unable to attach photos.

Keep in mind these are a direct drive unlike a car. So even when you are in neutral or reverse the impeller and shaft are always spinning forward whenever the engine is running. Neutral and reverse only redirect the water coming out the back.

I am not familiar with the four strokes but typically everything is sealed with Permatex Ultra Black RTV sealant.

I've done that also, at least a few times with jets. Hopefully your drive shaft isn't bent, mine luckily weren't.

For a full list of adhesives, etc ad nausium, consult the shop manual. In fact, if you're gonna turn wrenches on these, GET ONE and USE IT! Worth it's weight in gold, trust me.

LOCTITE 271 RED

Yikes... I'm somewhat of a rule breaker at times and no fan of locktite red in this location due to it's a very good thread locker if you don't want something to come lose ever. So I probably used Permatex #2 aircraft sealer on mine, same as I use in many places, especially threaded pipe fittings, etc.

I knew that it always spins regardless if you in forward, neutral or reverse. I threw that in just as a way of saying that it just idling and not at high rpm. That's also why I didn't try to restart it.

I'll probably need a tube of sealant, though. Thanks for letting me know what to look for.

I have a 2011 Wake Pro that has ingested two ski ropes in the last two years, luckily my son was driving both times so he was the one that spent about a hour each time under the ski with a knife and pliers cutting and pulling out the ski rope from around the drive shaft. Both times all the rope got removed with no damage to ski or impeller and not removing the grate. We have a lift in the water. Just saying.

Just been there with a dock line on a 2016 GTI. Trying to help a neighbor and got too close. You do not need to take the grate off. Having taken out most of the bolts only to put them back in when it didn't appear grate was going anywhere, what you need is a long serrated knife (we used our bread knife) and patience. I've done this twice on two different skis and neither time any lasting damage. (For what it's worth I used Loctite blue on the bolts).

Well, things worked out for me. I got underneath the jet ski yesterday and got all of the rope out of there. The part that was actually stuck in the impeller was just barely in there. The rest was a big knot around the shaft. It all came off easier than I had thought it would and I didn't have to remove the grate.

I took it to the lake today for a test ride and everything seems just like normal. No extra shaking, acceleration is good and top speed it still 40-42 mph. Thank you all for the encouraging words and information! I'll be back on the lake this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back