Throttle not returning? 1997 Challenger 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch_Pelletier

It's time to get the boat out!

I started it on the trailer and noticed that my throttle wasn't returning back. I had this issue last year and took my carbs apart, cleaned the butterfly shafts, etc and ran the boat probably another 20 times last year before putting it away.

I disconnected the carbs from the engine. The throttle cable works freely. The oil pump cable works well. Both carbs move freely on their own.
Feels like there isn't enough spring tension??? Is this possible??

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks!!!
-Mitch

1997 Challenger 787

If it’s a jet boat, the throttles should not just “come back” on their own…I believe

So had a local Bombardier guy take my carbs, clean the throttle 'shafts' and put it back together. They are still sticking just a bit, preventing the throttle to return all the way back. I'm going to put a helper spring and hook on the connection between both carbs, BUT, it's just a tad too much tension and it pulls back the throttle lever.

Is here a friction screw on the throttle lever that I can adjust???

Yes, there is a friction adjustment on the underside of the throttle lever. You have to pull out the whole shift-throttle-VTS control unit. See page 10-03-1 of the shop manual that you can download on this site. (at least in the 1996 manual)

Yes, there is a friction adjustment on the underside of the throttle lever. You have to pull out the whole shift-throttle-VTS control unit. See page 10-03-1 of the shop manual that you can download on this site. (at least in the 1996 manual)
Perfect! Done and seems ok. Water trial tomorrow!

Water trial wasn't good. I went to 3/4 throttle and the boat performed well, so I went to idle, then back to about 3/4 and then had no resistance at all in the lever. Pulled the boat back out and brought it back to the garage.
Found my throttle cable frayed a bit at the lever and looks like it is fetching up in the cable casing, which is probably what was going on all along.

Soooo...where can I purchase a replacement throttle cable? I can't even find it on the Sea-Doo Parts link above. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back