Thinking of doing a how to on buffing hulls, Seeing if anyone would even be interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Anybody out there knows if the tutorial was created....or where it might be...Please share !! This got me all excited....an' nothin???:toetap05:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just yesterday I tried a new product. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17216-ultimate-compound/

I was very skeptical at first as I intended to purchase a super duty compound to remove the 1000 grit scratches from wet sanding. This stuff advertised to be very aggressive but without the abrasive.

I have to say I was very pleased. It really reminds me of a product I used to get years ago that seemed to not cut but almost soften the paint/gel coat. Then the action of the buffing wheel polished the suraface. I have not been able to find that specific product in years and have never found anything that matched it until now. The stuff doesnt dry into a haze like a typical compound so you can get pretty long buffing cycles out of a single app.

I highy advise people to give it a try.

Just yesterday I tried a new product. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17216-ultimate-compound/

I was very skeptical at first as I intended to purchase a super duty compound to remove the 1000 grit scratches from wet sanding. This stuff advertised to be very aggressive but without the abrasive.

I have to say I was very pleased. It really reminds me of a product I used to get years ago that seemed to not cut but almost soften the paint/gel coat. Then the action of the buffing wheel polished the suraface. I have not been able to find that specific product in years and have never found anything that matched it until now. The stuff doesnt dry into a haze like a typical compound so you can get pretty long buffing cycles out of a single app.

I highly advise people to give it a try.

I picked up a seadoo that has quite a bit of calcium deposits on teh hull from sitting in the ocean for a few months. I've done everything
but the wet sanding so far and am left with just the calcium circles from the ocean critters. Do you think the product you just mentioned would take that calcium deposit off?

Yes by all means post the tutorial and make it a sticky. Very nice work by the way sir. :cheers:

I picked up a seadoo that has quite a bit of calcium deposits on teh hull from sitting in the ocean for a few months. I've done everything
but the wet sanding so far and am left with just the calcium circles from the ocean critters. Do you think the product you just mentioned would take that calcium deposit off?

Honestly im not familiar with calcium deposits so I would nto know. Did I read your post to say that you have not wet sanded. If not I would sand then hit it with the stuff I mentioned.

Ok, this weekend for sure i will have the tutorial done. I just got in a spx and will clean it up and take lots of pitures

I had an extremely oxidized 95 xp, I wetsanded 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Then polished it with a buffer with flitz then 3 coats of wax. Looks like new

Yes i got the decals made by doctor honda, so far ive had 6 sets of decals made by himnand im going to be buying more soon, i highly recommend his work

good! i need a few Seadoo Decals done and i would rather not pay exotic signs to do them they charge an arm an a leg lol........but they do make great OEM replica decals lol

Water spots and your calcium rings are made of the same base stuff. Their natural opposite is acid. Vinegar is acidic. Try a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle and a little elbow grease. This formula works great on water spots, but I dont know how severe your rings are. You may need to go taller on the vinegar or wet sand like 'Chucked' suggested.

I highy advise people to give it a try.

I was ready to rub out a hull repair of a 7" long rock gash, came across this post, and actually found this product at WalMart. Being a Mcquiars guy, it was easy for me to give it a shot. It worked so well I just kept going and did the entire hull...with mirror like results I might add. This will actually improve once I lay down the polish, then the wax. I'll tack on a few pics when my camera, computer, and the uploading process stop fussing with each other. A black hull sitting above a white trailer frame will make an impressive photo.

Real good stuff !

Water spots and your calcium rings are made of the same base stuff. Their natural opposite is acid. Vinegar is acidic. Try a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle and a little elbow grease. This formula works great on water spots, but I dont know how severe your rings are. You may need to go taller on the vinegar or wet sand like 'Chucked' suggested.

Thanks door54. That's some mighty fine scientific advice! I'll give this a try and report back!

I was ready to rub out a hull repair of a 7" long rock gash, came across this post, and actually found this product at WalMart. Being a Mcquiars guy, it was easy for me to give it a shot. It worked so well I just kept going and did the entire hull...with mirror like results I might add. This will actually improve once I lay down the polish, then the wax. I'll tack on a few pics when my camera, computer, and the uploading process stop fussing with each other. A black hull sitting above a white trailer frame will make an impressive photo.

Real good stuff !

I have been experimenting with the stuff a little since first purchased. It doesnt seem to cut like a super duty but seems to be more aggressive than say a finesse it. I see this being a really good product for a first of the year buffing or maybe after a good 1500 wet sanding.

On another note does anyone have a preference on waxes. I have been a big fan of the Turtle wax ice products since they came out. They are entirely synthetic and seem to not break down in the sun or water like caruba.

Hey jetskigoodies, did you ever finish this? im waiting for your how to , cause my gtx is really needing refreshed

AS I had mentioned in the past, I had a really bad calcium deposited hull and trying everything I could think of out short
of the wet sanding treatment (more due to the mess involved and the relative pain in the butt process so I engaged this
fine forum to give me some tips. While all were appreciated and invaluable, Door54 suggested a mixture of vinegar and water, starting
at 50/50 ratio. I eventually went full vinegar but that was more due to my "more power" attitude.
In short, along with a thin metal scraper (contouring to the hull for very few surface scratches, the vinegar spray and then 3M Marine
Rubbing Compound this is the result. Note the intake grate is being replaced....

Thanks everyone and esp Door54! Now let's try and get before and after pics right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Smokes Lama! You are a reclamation inspiration for all. I think most of us would have walked away from that one, but I gotta say that came out really fantastic!

Kevin

Yeah even I was surprised - but that vinegar solution really worked well. The surface crap scraped off easy and the
harder circles took a bit of effort but man, are those seadoo hulls tough!

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE LAMAJAMA

DAYUMMM........ What great effort!! When you said there were some calcium rings, my minds eye created a much different image than what your 'before' picture shows. WOW
bellman nailed it...Thats freekin inspirational!! Job Very Well Done Son!!

door54

Thanks Door54! Believe me I had tried quite a few things before you suggested the vinegar idea. It worked great
as you can see. It's a 2004 GTX Wake Edition 4tec that I wrangled the guy out of for $500 but as you see, it was a
mess. I had to use a plastic scraper just to get the shells off the hull. They filled a gallon pail numerous times - and it
stank. I couldn't even leave it in the garage it was so bad. As for the mechanics it was also a gamble but I really
lucked out there as it had just over 100 hrs. A new (used) jet drive assembly from Florida (as the old one was seized)
and an oil change plus compression check (185 per hole) and a few misc items later and some labour and I'm into it for about
$1600. Not sure I'm keeping it though as I'm a 2 stroke fan. It sure is a different ride on a 4 stroke though. Plus 1000 lbs
is pretty hard to wrangle around. My 02 DI's are bad enough at 700 lbs.

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE LAMAJAMA

DAYUMMM........ What great effort!! When you said there were some calcium rings, my minds eye created a much different image than what your 'before' picture shows. WOW
bellman nailed it...Thats freekin inspirational!! Job Very Well Done Son!!

door54

agree totally ! i was picturing little circle's of deposits, maybe 100 of them, not a layer ! kudo's for sticking with that one !

Personally speaking from someone who has just started out, this would be a fantastic idea. Real nice pics too btw.

I detail cars on the side so if you folks have any questions feel free to PM me as well. I'm a big time Adams polishes user. Made in the USA and fantastic products. Came over after being a big time meguiars user. The ultimate compound is pretty good stuff, but won't remove things like swirl marks and stuff in the paint. Which are things you typically won't see in gel coat anywho.

My latest job to show I know what i'm doing :thumbsup:
IMG_20120923_100906_zpsb4d5e605.jpg

That's perfection right there. Not a single defect left in that paint.

I hope to buff out my XP to similar results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back