Thinking of buying a 98 Sportster1800, any advice?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazper11

Let me start off by saying hello, I've been perusing the forum for a few days now looking for info on a 1998 Sportster 1800 I found on Craigslist. I am new to boating but have always wanted to experience the pain and pleasures of owning a boat. I like the idea of the Sea Doo jet boats due to their relative small size and maneuverability. I found what looks like a well-cared for 98 Sportster 1800 on craigslist and am considering taking the 3 hour drive to go check it out. I wanted to get the forum's opinion on the boat in general and get some tips on what to look for.

From what I got from the seller is the engines are referbs from Full Bore in FL (not sure if 717 or 787), rebuilt pumps, new starters and "everything powertrain wise" but not sure what all that entails. The boat has a few extras, wake tower, hydro turf, aftermarket stereo and speakers and Sea Doo canopy. The seller is asking $7500 which seem a bit high based on NADA.

My biggest hang up is the age of the boat and the reliability that comes from that. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and not afraid of some wrenching, but want to spend more time in the water than in the shop. What big questions do I need to be asking the seller and what should I look for upon inspection? Also from those who have owned these before what sort of annual maintenance costs am I in for (winterization, basic maint, consumables)? I am also wondering but afraid to ask what sort of gas mileage are we looking at here, I've read anecdotal "gas hog" comments but nothing with numbers on it (whats a day on the lake going to cost me?). I appreciate any help you guys can provide and hope things work out with this deal, the hardest part is going to be convincing the wife!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 00O0O_blZ4AKTcnUD_600x450.jpg
    00O0O_blZ4AKTcnUD_600x450.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 00x0x_9ZZL2s6kDeQ_50x50c.jpg
    00x0x_9ZZL2s6kDeQ_50x50c.jpg
    985 bytes · Views: 8
  • 00606_20h9jdtXAZI_600x450.jpg
    00606_20h9jdtXAZI_600x450.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
It's a 20 year old used boat. To me, it's not worth the price he's asking. He's basically trying to recover the price of the rebuild. But then again... new boats have gotten crazy expensive. I personally have a hard time buying old boats that someone else has fixed up. I like to buy a project cheap, and then I know things are right when it goes back together.

Since he's asking a premium price... you need to take it on a water test, and EVERYTHING needs to work properly. It needs to start cold, start hot... and start after sitting in the water. It needs to have NO cavitation, and no electrical issues.

The first question I will answer of yours is about fuel. When you buy a boat... don't even put "Fuel Eco" into the equation. All boats use a lot of fuel. AND... the faster you want to go... the more it will burn. But... assuming everything is good... it's going to burn +17 gal/hr at full power. More weight in the boat, or a skier behind you... and it will burn more. BUT... pull it down to half throttle, and 25 mph... and you will be out all day on a tank of fuel. As an FYI... my boat burns 24 gal/hr @WOT. Last day on the river with friends cost me $100. BUT... there have been a bunch of trips at the lake that really didn't directly cost me anything. I just took the boat, with the fuel that was already in it... dropped anchor, and hung out all day. (Swimming, fishing, enjoying the day) Burnt maybe 10 gal.

Maintenance: If you are paying someone to do it... just bend over. Shops will charge +$100 hr. So something simple will get expensive. Do all the work yourself, and that's the only way to make a boat affordable. Assuming no mechanical issues, and it will cost you less than $100 for maintenance. Winterizing is cheap and easy to do. Since it's a 2-stroke boat... there's no oil changes or anything like that.

Hope that helps

It's a 20 year old used boat. To me, it's not worth the price he's asking. He's basically trying to recover the price of the rebuild. But then again... new boats have gotten crazy expensive. I personally have a hard time buying old boats that someone else has fixed up. I like to buy a project cheap, and then I know things are right when it goes back together.

Since he's asking a premium price... you need to take it on a water test, and EVERYTHING needs to work properly. It needs to start cold, start hot... and start after sitting in the water. It needs to have NO cavitation, and no electrical issues.

The first question I will answer of yours is about fuel. When you buy a boat... don't even put "Fuel Eco" into the equation. All boats use a lot of fuel. AND... the faster you want to go... the more it will burn. But... assuming everything is good... it's going to burn +17 gal/hr at full power. More weight in the boat, or a skier behind you... and it will burn more. BUT... pull it down to half throttle, and 25 mph... and you will be out all day on a tank of fuel. As an FYI... my boat burns 24 gal/hr @WOT. Last day on the river with friends cost me $100. BUT... there have been a bunch of trips at the lake that really didn't directly cost me anything. I just took the boat, with the fuel that was already in it... dropped anchor, and hung out all day. (Swimming, fishing, enjoying the day) Burnt maybe 10 gal.

Maintenance: If you are paying someone to do it... just bend over. Shops will charge +$100 hr. So something simple will get expensive. Do all the work yourself, and that's the only way to make a boat affordable. Assuming no mechanical issues, and it will cost you less than $100 for maintenance. Winterizing is cheap and easy to do. Since it's a 2-stroke boat... there's no oil changes or anything like that.

Hope that helps
Thanks Doc, that is what I was looking for, appreciate the help. I don't intend to offer what he is asking and look forward to doing some of the maintenance myself. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back