The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought a 96 xp with trailer for 500. Not running due to possible bad mpem, no beeps and wont start. Not scared to fix it, will prob just get an aftermarket mpem that will start with any key. Needs a seat and some scratches on underside of hull, but at 21 years old I'll take it. I used to own another 96 I never should have sold, the trim worked and it had aftermarket flame arrestor with rejetted carbs and TD waterbox and ran super fast while sounding like a small cigarette boat while idling in the cove. Turned heads everywhere, more than once had other riders come up and ask what:thumbsup: motor was in there, some rednecks thought I had a V8 in there.

Congrats on the score. If you fix the beeper(I'm guessing you can't hear the beep when you connect the lanyard) you can put the ski in the advanced diagnostic mode and determine if the lanyard is not recognized by the MPEM. If it's not you can pull the grey box and ship it to Minnetonka4me and he can program the key and several others for a cheap rate. You'll still be less that a pos aftermarket MPEM. If exhaust all my avenues before buying a MPEM.

Here is a couple of my recent restorations

This one is my personal xp800

Last edited by a moderator:
Good treah from bill, for stock X4 also when he tested an rossier pipe

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
Mr. Bill's Avatar Join Date
Jun 2008
Re: Pump pressure/cold pipe
Quote Originally Posted by burton2323 View Post
Bill, I know your not exactly fond of rossier pipes, but I have a question or rather a scenario and wanted to see if it makes sense with you..

The stock prop in my 96 XP was pretty chewed up. The leading edges were all dinged up and the trailing edges were slightly bent. I was seeing 7150-7200 rpms @ 59.5 - 60.5 mph gps, with a 105 jet in the midpipe and a 185 in the stinger. My gf's brother has a 96 XP and bought a solas XO, so I threw his stock prop in mine in place of my chewed up one. His stock prop I threw in was literally new looking, all edges perfect no dings or bends at all. With the mint stock prop in I now see 6700 - 6800. Highest I saw was 6850 @ 59.3. The pipe stays ice cold after a WOT run also, when it used to get decently hot. Now for the question..

Would it make sense that I could lose almost 400 rpms because the perfect stock prop is creating much more pressure in the pump therefore cooling the pipe more?

I put a 100 in the midpipe this afternoon but the river is so choppy I cant hookup at all, I need to wait to near sunset when its glass. I also have a 90 that I can try if the 100 doesnt help..
First, I have nothing against Rossiers pipes. In fact Charlie sent me one to mess with as soon as he got the first castings machined.
I bolted it onto a limited class 95 or 96 XP and headed to the lake. My rpm was about 6900 with the XO or the Skat Trak impellor installed ( cannot recall which prop but I never used rthe X1 but once, and that was on a different 96 XP with a FPP Spec2.

I called Charlie told him what I had and asked him to give me suggesstions to pull some rpm out of the pipe. He had a few ideas that I tried and none did better than the way he shipped it.

So, I tried a few of my own ideas and eventually got 7150 rpm after a few tries.

There were no Jetworks valves back then, so everything we did involved hoses, fittings and jets

I removed the WR from the muffler and placed a brass fitting with a jet in it into the WR hole in the muffler.

I put a 1/2 x1/2 x3/8ths Tee spliced into the main water line from the jetpump. At the end of that hose, I used a 3/8thx1/4x14 Y. One for the stinger and one for the muffler hoses.
Then I started trying combinations of jet sizes. I cannot recall the size jet at the pipe, but I think I had a 65 in the stinger and a 140 in the muffler.

I believe my range of pipe jets was between 125 and 90 and I settled on one of those jets.

It makes perfect sense that you would lose a ton of rpm with a non bent impellor.

It also makes perfect sense that the water pressure went up, probably by about 30 psi.

An oem impellor is very good at making water pressure, as at idle, the water psi is around 5 psi and over 40 psi at 6700 or more.

The psi will change with different pitch impellors, but all provide plenty of water pressure unless they are bent or cavatating.

When the pump is cavatating, very little water is pushed into the engine.

59.3 and 60 mph is not worth haggling over, if it took 400 extra rpm to see that 60 mph.

Do you have stock nozzels on your boat ? I ask because your GPS MPH readings sound too high for a '96 XP using an oem impellor turning the same as stock 787 rpm.

I have been tuning these boats since they were new and I have yet to ever see a boat go faster than stock when it has an oem impellor and it turns oem rpm. How is that possible ?

Either somehow your hull as a lower drag factor as it crosses the water, or the jetpump is producing more than oem thrust.

The average 1996 XP top speed when new was below 57 mph.

If you have a 1995 XP 800 Limited version in stock form, the best I ever saw was 58.1 on the radar, but usually more like 58.5 mph. And that was on one boat, the other three were at 57.6 to 57.9 mph.

All Radar tests were using the normal sitting position with riders in the 150-185 lb range.

6850 + oem impellor = about 56.8 on a smooth water pass at Sea Level, but you can gain almost 1 mph if on salt water.

The problem with GPS readings is in order to get perfect calculations for the GPS to convert distance and time to get speed numbers is the item being measured has to travel in a perfectly straight line.

All of my tests were done in the exact same format at least 3 passes and all were recorded on a stationary mounted Stalker Pro Radar gun with all of the bells and whistles availible at the time of purchase, including the software and cable to connect to a laptop. The readings were averaged to achieve a honest evaulation of the speed of the 1996 XP.
My radar gun was recalibrated by the California Highway Patrol several times and each time it was reading exactly what it was susposed to be reading. It was a $2250.00 purchase directly from the manufacture. It was not some K band radar or something.

If a person knows how to get max speed out of 2 seat runabout using his body position/weight to his advantage, usually there is an extra mph that can be had on any 2 seater or sport class boat.

Bill O'Neal
WCM
Last edited by Mr. Bill; 06-21-2011 at 01:18 PM

Best Rossier set up in my opinion is this

Mag Carb:
140 HS jet
75 Main
2.0 Needle and Seat

PTO Carb:
145 HS Jet
75 Main
2.0 Needle and seat

LOW AND HIGH= 1 1/4

100 In the head pipe 165 in the stinger

I finally joined the X4 club. Been watching from the background of this thread and looking around for a while and I found this rough looking one for $250 under an add for a 96 spx with no pictures. Figured i'd message the guy anyway to make sure it wasn't a 97 spx. Sure enough he had this 96 xp. Sent my friend's brother to look at it for me cause I was away for work and he said it looked like it was all there inside spun over and seemed to make compression so for 250 bucks thats all I needed to hear. Ended up he didn't notice it was missing front E-Box, but I managed to pick up a complete one for 140 bucks off a guy in one of the facebook groups. Guy said he bought it out of a storage auction with a couple others and he didn't know anything about them. Last registered in 2001 it had an old MPEM sitting by itself in the front storage bin. I figure they tried to jump it or something and fried the MPEM. Plugged the New E-box in, new fuel/oil lines, cleaned the carbs, emptied enough acorns and other seeds to plant a forest out of the exhaust, and she fired right up, and rides great. Even the fuel gauge and VTS work although the vts gauge and speedo don't work. Now it joins the club with my 89 sp I got for free a few years ago. First picture is the only one the seller sent me. Hope they attached right.

IMG_1636.jpg 51726192083__90732272-AF2E-4CA7-BE9F-927A1900591E.jpg 51726191515__6789491E-10A3-4F01-823F-8785CB2C2CBE.jpgIMG_1667.jpg IMG_1763.jpg

I finally joined the X4 club. Been watching from the background of this thread and looking around for a while and I found this rough looking one for $250 under an add for a 96 spx with no pictures. Figured i'd message the guy anyway to make sure it wasn't a 97 spx. Sure enough he had this 96 xp. Sent my friend's brother to look at it for me cause I was away for work and he said it looked like it was all there inside spun over and seemed to make compression so for 250 bucks thats all I needed to hear. Ended up he didn't notice it was missing front E-Box, but I managed to pick up a complete one for 140 bucks off a guy in one of the facebook groups. Guy said he bought it out of a storage auction with a couple others and he didn't know anything about them. Last registered in 2001 it had an old MPEM sitting by itself in the front storage bin. I figure they tried to jump it or something and fried the MPEM. Plugged the New E-box in, new fuel/oil lines, cleaned the carbs, emptied enough acorns and other seeds to plant a forest out of the exhaust, and she fired right up, and rides great. Even the fuel gauge and VTS work although the vts gauge and speedo don't work. Now it joins the club with my 89 sp I got for free a few years ago. First picture is the only one the seller sent me. Hope they attached right.

IMG_1636.jpg 51726192083__90732272-AF2E-4CA7-BE9F-927A1900591E.jpg IMG_1667.jpg IMG_1763.jpg

I finally got myself an x4. Been watching from the background of this thread for a while and I found this rough looking one for $250 under an add for a 96 spx with no pictures. Figured I'd message the guy anyway to make sure it wasn't a 97 spx. Sure enough he had this 96 xp. Sent my friends brother to look at it for me because I was away for work. He said it looked like it was all there inside, spun over and seemed to make compression so for 250 bucks that's all I needed to hear. Turns out he didn't notice the front E- Box was missing, but I managed to pick up a complete one for 140 bucks off a guy in one of the Facebook groups. PO said he got it out of a storage auction and didn't know anything about it and it was last registered in 2001. It had an old mpem sitting by itself in the front storage bin. I figure someone tried to jump it and fried the MPEM. Plugged in the new Ebox, new oil lines, fuel lines, cleaned the carbs, emptied enough acorns and seeds out of the exhaust to plant a forest and she fired right up and rides great. Even the VTS, fuel gauge and indicator lights work. I'll be fixing it up this winter. Now it joins my 89 sp I got for free a few years ago.

IMG_1636.JPG 51726192083__90732272-AF2E-4CA7-BE9F-927A1900591E.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1763.JPG

Happy to hear that you found one reasonably. They are the best toys ever made in my opinion. Let me know when your ready to customize it I have tons of aftermarket parts.

Thanks Matt, thinking of maybe an aftermarket steering setup. My stock setup has some slack in it and I like the look of the aftermarket ones.

I kinda just like staring at them sometimes[emoji2]
41.jpg

Yes sir ^^^ we went out last weekend and plan too this coming weekend. Us FL boys don't know the meaning of winterizing! Haha
Yeah you guys are a bit slow down there, so I'll help you out...

win·ter·ize

ˈwin(t)əˌrīz/

verb

adapt or prepare (something, especially a house or an automobile) for use in cold weather.

"a waterfront cottage that Dixon had winterized"

Don't worry I'm 1/2 way between those the Ohio gang and the FL boys and I have the pink joose in all my chit :facepalm:

53.jpg

Picked up a 99 spx from a good friend.
Slightly off topic, anyone know of any Black Friday/cyber Monday deals
Needs turf and seat covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back