The real cost of that $200 barn find ski..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GGuillot

I thought I'd share my experience of diving into the world jet skiing head first for those seeking the same goal. You want a decent jet ski but there's no way you're paying the price of a new ski. Go to any showroom floor and experience the sticker shock. If you have the time and the patience to work on something, these 2 strokes are where it's at, they're cool, sound awesome, are light and fun to ride.

1997 GTX - engine locked up, no trailer, no rear storage bin, no lanyard, sitting in a barn with rats having nested in it, last time it ran? PO said "last season". I always wanted a Seadoo 96' or 97' GTX remembered when they came out, they were expensive back then about $7500 out the door, not including a trailer, so I bit at $200. I quickly budgeted $1500 on the ski and factored in a single used trailer and miscellaneous, life jackets, oil, registering, etc, would put me in the bark park under $2000. Plus a ton of time, purchased the ski from the PO late Summer in 2017, and getting on the water wouldn't be realistic, it would be Spring 18' if I really dug in on it. Just recently got it running and out on the water.

Here's a breakdown of what you can be faced with to bring an old ski back to it's glory. I'll break down the minimum, above and beyond, and extra you can end up spending. Keep in mind, I did all the tedious labor, exception: getting the Rotary Valve cover machined. It's unrealistic to pay anyone to do all this or it would be very expensive.

Ski - $200
Cylinder resleeve - $330
Top End Kit (pistons) - $150
Balance shaft core swap - $105
Crankshaft core swap - $315
OEM carb kit/needles/seats - $136
Complete carb SS screw set - $19
2 carb blk springs - $10
Complete engine gasket set - $70
New rotary valve - $24
Fuel selector valve - $17
Fuel/oil/water lines - $80
New impeller wear ring - $40
Neoprene impeller seal - $4
Driveshaft rubber bumpers - $6
NGK spark plugs - $5
Oil injection filter - $8
Rotary valve machined to spec - $100
New buzzer or beeper - $8
Driveshaft c clip - $6
Driveshaft PTO boot SS ties - $3
Starter solenoid - $15
Rotary valve shaft bearings - $7
Engine temp sensor (wrong one on engine) - $15
Water box valve spring (old one in 4 pieces) - $7
Starter rebuild kit - $15
______________________________Total - $1695

Extra of some things I didn't need to do and some things to consider....

Re gelcoat on bottom and topside, (blk & wht) - $320
Rub rail SS rivets - $25
Support cradle for working on ski, materials - $50
New mats and seat cover (hydro turf) - $265
Single stage metallic paint on hood - $100
All decals - $155
Rear storage bin - $30
Hull registration lettering/taxes/1 year registration - $70
Media blasting engine parts (me going to a facility) - $16
Engine paint (3 cans of ceramic enamel) - $21
Auto bilge pump, lines and fittings - $95
New handle bar grips - $20
New starter button - $5
Seadoo embossed chin pad and silver vinyl paint - $20
New set/mode buttons and info center faceplate - $25
New DESS lanyard key (I programmed) - $25
Candoo Pro MPEM programmer (because I now have 2 skis)- $400
Engine aliment tool - $150
Rotary valve shaft pull tool (custom made) - $5
Rotary valve degree wheel - $13
Carb pressure tester - $18
Single ski trailer - $240
2 life vests - $100
XPS oil (2 gal) - $92
________________________________Total - $2260
+$1695

GRAND TOTAL - $3955

As you can see it adds up quick if you keep tabs over the last year after buying that $200 ski. I had a lot of tools already handy, engine crane, air tools, bench grinder, etc, some other things I bought are not listed and I'm probably missing something. You end up with excuses to go buy stuff, like a 2 inch sander, 7 inch digital buffer or a Viking battery charger..

Last edited:
I thought I'd share my experience of diving into the world jet skiing head first for those seeking the same goal. You want a decent jet ski but there's no way you're paying the price of a new ski. Go to any showroom floor and experience the sticker shock. If you have the time and the patience to work on something, these 2 strokes are where it's at, they're cool, sound awesome, are light and fun to ride.

This is why I love working on these machines. Sure, they can nickle and dime you to death and make you create new curse words when things aren't going well, but look at what the end product is- you've basically got a brand new machine that you built with your own 2 hands that will keep up (if not out perform) anything on the water. You are now set up with the tools and knowledge to work on these early PWCs that most people see as junk. Where's the fun in stroking a check when you can build it yourself?

Yeah, they definitely get you a little at a time. Once you have the basic seadoo tools and common parts it's a lot cheaper though. You also find the better and cheaper places to buy parts. You probbaly could have saved a little just getting the full rebuilt kit from Fullbore with boring, gaskets, crank, etc.

My GSX I restored this winter looks brand new with updated graphics and everything new or rebuilt for about $2200 all in. It was probably 75 hours of work but it's a new ski. I feel much better about that than paying $1500+ for a used running ski.

Also I probably missed it but I'm sure you spent $100 or so on a nice new AGM battery.

Yeah, they definitely get you a little at a time. Once you have the basic seadoo tools and common parts it's a lot cheaper though. You also find the better and cheaper places to buy parts. You probbaly could have saved a little just getting the full rebuilt kit from Fullbore with boring, gaskets, crank, etc.

My GSX I restored this winter looks brand new with updated graphics and everything new or rebuilt for about $2200 all in. It was probably 75 hours of work but it's a new ski. I feel much better about that than paying $1500+ for a used running ski.

Also I probably missed it but I'm sure you spent $100 or so on a nice new AGM battery.

Fullbore did the cylinder resleeve, got a steal on the WISECO piston set at $150 shipped. It was a considerbly more for me to ship off and do a full rebuild with Full Bore, and after pricing it out, I wasn't saving piecing a rebuild kit with them either.

On the battery, actually I'm still using the one it had in it, the Viking battery conditioner I paid $35 for at Harbor Freight brought it back. It holds a charge and is strong, good for now, might get another season or 2 out of it.

Same logic as yours on the trashed 96' GSX I picked up a few months ago, do it myself like a new ski vs. giving someone $1300-$1600 on a ski that I'm catching them in lies about.

Last edited:
Sigh......I know what you mean.

But, it has been a learning experience

Last edited:
Well, you chose to mod it, otherwise i see a list that would come in around $1k stock to rebuild it. Good job on the choices though! I have 10 motorcycles, 3 jet ski's, 4 atvs, and 8 scooters. I built all of them from a frame, and just like the peace of mind it gives. You know what you're riding and where it's been. If something happens you know what to do.

It's always nice to get something you've been fond of, and better when it comes by your own hand. Sounds like something you'll enjoy for a long time. :)

Well, you chose to mod it, otherwise i see a list that would come in around $1k stock to rebuild it. Good job on the choices though! I have 10 motorcycles, 3 jet ski's, 4 atvs, and 8 scooters. I built all of them from a frame, and just like the peace of mind it gives. You know what you're riding and where it's been. If something happens you know what to do.

It's always nice to get something you've been fond of, and better when it comes by your own hand. Sounds like something you'll enjoy for a long time. :)

I'm not sure why you say I choose to mod it, I basically restored it to brand new condition and performance. Build to stock at $1000 ? I don't see how, that would have gotten me a cheap core swap SBT engine, and nothing else. And there was no way I was going out on the water with the old lines, cheap carb kits, and other items I could overlook in a hasty way. The cosmetic stuff and some tools like the CANDOO Pro, are definitely areas I didn't need to spend in, but the extra goes a longs ways in overall owner satisfaction.

But yes, I'm enjoying it, and so is the family, complete with compliments and getting attention at the dock.....now I need to tackle the 96' GSX.

Who did you get your crank shaft from? I have the same machine and might be looking to get a new crank for next season.

That's why you need to know what you are looking at, and what they are worth. There's no reason to try to resurrect a ski that is as bad as your description. My rule-of-thumb on an old ski is... if the engine is roasted... don't touch it.

my last "Barn find" cost me a total of $400 to have on the water.

Attachments

• DSC01352.JPG
    DSC01352.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • DSC01350.JPG
    DSC01350.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • P4150586.JPG
    P4150586.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • P5200669.JPG
    P5200669.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
That's why you need to know what you are looking at, and what they are worth. There's no reason to try to resurrect a ski that is as bad as your description. My rule-of-thumb on an old ski is... if the engine is roasted... don't touch it.

Guess it's preference, I'd much rather buy a ski that needs everything for almost nothing vs. buying one that someone wants $1500 - $2000 that they're lying to me about and I turn around and still need to spend more money on it shortly afterward.

Believe me, I knew what I was looking at prior, I choose the path of work and throwing money at it, but I'm completely happy. My ski is like new, and it didn't cost me $10K - $15K + taxes for a new one. Which mind you, I had the means to go out and buy if I choose to.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess it all depends on price for me. If I can find a super cheap runner I'm all over it. If it's a ski I know I want as a long time keeper, then I'll buy a turf and make it all new and perfect.

I also like the new ones too, lol.

Last 2 turds I restored.
2e3b4e3e92300e5e9364a7e18b534fba.jpg

And I like the new ones too, lol.
85b7a39aecbabfcabe583e702611e905.jpg

Yeah, I guess it all depends on price for me. If I can find a super cheap runner I'm all over it. If it's a ski I know I want as a long time keeper, then I'll buy a turf and make it all new and perfect.

I also like the new ones too, lol.

Last 2 turds I restored.
2e3b4e3e92300e5e9364a7e18b534fba.jpg

And I like the new ones too, lol.
85b7a39aecbabfcabe583e702611e905.jpg

I like that 97' GSX you did up, The 96' I just picked up is the next turd to restore, I'm in the strip down phase right now....

i wish....

Around here, anything under $1000 (CAD) is either a grenaded motor or hull only. Just this weekend i was looking at a 97 XP with a blown top end, guy wanted $600 no trailer and wouldn't budge.

Everything else is $2000+ with some sketchy person usually lying to you ('runs great' 'needs nothing' etc..). Anything that the owner can prove it's been taken care of isn't worth their asking price.

I got my gsx for $500, knowing there was a lean condition somewhere. Only reason i got that deal is because it was through a friend.

Fuel line ~$80 (marine grade)
replacement RV Cover $50 used
carb rebuild kits ~$140
springs ~$10
needles and seats $45
fuel selector - $25 (not OE obviously)
Full engine gasket kit $100 (after all that work found outer pto crank seal thrashed)

Plus i had to find a trailer for it, some home made jalopy off of local classifieds that i probably put another $150 into.

After that I've spent money on cosmetics like hydro-turf mats, compounding the hull (myself), building a dolly, etc...

i don't know, i don't ever seem to come across any decent 'barn finds', what i have now was a total fluke.

i wish....

Around here, anything under $1000 (CAD) is either a grenaded motor or hull only. Just this weekend i was looking at a 97 XP with a blown top end, guy wanted $600 no trailer and wouldn't budge.

Everything else is $2000+ with some sketchy person usually lying to you ('runs great' 'needs nothing' etc..). Anything that the owner can prove it's been taken care of isn't worth their asking price.

And that's where you'll get burned, people lie their ass off to sell it, I've heard it all " it just needs a starter, it ran great last season, all it needs is a new battery"....they can't lie to me when it's obviously trashed and not running and needs a ton of work. I know exactly what I'm getting into when I'm only offering $200....

I'm up to $1200 on my 94 xp...... The good news is it runs perfect and will last 20ish years based on how long our riding season is up here.

And that's where you'll get burned, people lie their ass off to sell it, I've heard it all " it just needs a starter, it ran great last season, all it needs is a new battery"....they can't lie to me when it's obviously trashed and not running and needs a ton of work. I know exactly what I'm getting into when I'm only offering $200....

On craigslist it could have a hole in it the size of an ipad and it'll still say "Just needs carb cleaned".

I'm not sure why you say I choose to mod it,

Fullbore did the cylinder resleeve, got a steal on the WISECO piston set at $150 shipped.

Nobody twisted your arm to go with racing pistons, eh? There are some splurges. The 1600 could be cut closer to 1k for someone doing a restore, so maybe not the REAL cost of a restore, but if I were building it that extensively I'd use the hi-po pistons as well. Once you're in deep, might as well sink the ship. :) I personally wouldn't pay $470 for pistons and a resleeve, so there's where I'd come in well under - for an example. I stayed vigilant waiting on the right deal and bought new OEM old stock pistons, rings, and cylinders for $120 each (times 2) that came completely ready to drop in. Having built over 50 engines for my dirt bikes, atv, and skis - I've learned a lot of patience when I want to pay a specific price. It does happen if you wait and watch.

I don't think you did anything out of line, I just see areas it could be done for less if we are talking the "Real cost" of building a barn ski. Not everyone needs racing pistons and such, but I personally (my choice) would if I were already knee deep on a total restore, as you did.

Of coarse people lie about what they got... AND they think it's worth more than they are worth. But the other side is... people are stupid and don't understand what may be wrong. But I'm right with you... I'm not going to pay a premium price for a beat up toy just to find it has real issues. All of my water toys are projects. I live in Pitt PA, and there's no reason to make payments on a new toy when they get parked for 6 to 8 months out of the year. AND... like this year... all the rivers are full of junk because of the hard rains we've had.

Now... on the point of the "Craigslist around here" comment. You have to be patient, and you can't expect to get deals in the middle of summer. I pickup my projects normally where there is still some snow on the ground, and I will search going out a couple hundred miles... depending what the project is.

But the biggest rules of a project are... 1) don't pay too much for it!! 2) Buy projects that can be parted out, and get you your $$$ back out of it and 3) Don't put more into it than they are worth!!!!!!! (EVER) Heck... #3 is why I don't have a 4-stroke ski yet. You can get basic runners for $4k... but that how much an engine is worth if it ate a valve.

My last water projects are................ (be in multiple posts)

'96 sportster. Under $2k total. Mostly cosmetic, but needed pump work too. Found it cheap with a new engine.

PICT2577.JPGPICT2581.JPGPICT3169.JPGPICT3164.JPG

Here's my 96 XP. Totally neglected. The trailer axle was busted so I paid $900. Just needed love. Drain/replace fluids. Replace the battery, clean/fix some wireing. Oh... and since I had a double trailer... I sold the single (after I fixed it) for $400. SO... I had a total of $700 into this one. P5211299.JPGIMG_0778.JPG

Next is a 2000 Polaris Genisis. This One was great... but Polaris has some quarks about them. BUT... they are just great. Factory Skat-Track impellers, factory Rule bilge pumps, Factory Hydroturf, factory stainless pump housings.... and so on.

I paid $900 for it as a non-runner. (but had compression) Found roasted wires, and a bad start/stop module. Replaced the driveshaft seal, and sold the aluminum trailer for $500. Needless to say, since it sat... I drained/replaced all fluids, replaced fuel lines, and filters. Replaced the oil injection lines, and filter... and rebuilt the carbs. P7220912.JPGIMG_0602.JPGP7061469.JPGP7061468.JPGHad a total of $650 into it when it was all said and done.

And of course... my Islandia. Drove from Pitt PA to Traverse City MI to get it. Paid $4k for the boat. Put about $1700 into the engine rebuild... and another $500 into cleaning it. So... about $6200 into a boat that (at the time) was worth $15,000. Heck... this boat would still sell for $10k since it was $45k new.

There's a very long thread on the story of this project, if you want all the details. Oh... and yes... if you look up hydroturf for the Islandia... it is my boat in the pics !!resize avitar1.jpgP6131728.JPGP6131731.JPGP5121665.JPGP5151670.JPGP6131738.JPGP5151673.JPGP7211864.JPGP7211866.JPGP7281877.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back