94 GTX no start in the water, yes many posts opinions appreciated

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MOONlitn

Hello everyone,

Been working through some issues with this GTX I picked up. Now have it running out of the water ( a little hard starting ) but didn't start in the water. Read through so many posts my head spins. I am on the fence between a compression issue or the rotary valve clearance. It has 135 compression and the rotary valve clearance is .016.
Spark is good. Carbs are fresh Mikuni kits. Popoff is 25 psi. Fresh fuel, lines had been done. Battery is new plugs are fresh. It does seem to backfire when starting at times. After it fires on the trailer and revs up a few times seems to run ok but wont idle down where I think it should. Doesn't have a tach

So questions.
Would I notice a problem with 135 psi? I've read 150 is good / new and 120 is rebuild time. Correct?
With the Rotary valve clearance at .016 I believe it is my main concern. Looking to purchase from SBT. Curious why all the different cover part numbers? What is the difference?

Thank you all
Mike

Back