Swallowed My RAVE Blade

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wombat1

Fellow Seadooskis,

I've been somewhat fortunate that my 97 GTX was running well over the past couple of years with the original engine at 250hrs. Well my luck ran out and a RAVE valve broke halfway up the blade and was swallowed by the engine.

I shut her down pretty quickly, but obviously not quickly enough. I pulled the RAVE valves and noticed the fractured blade on one. I pulled the head and could not find the other part of the rave valve. There wasn't, from my novice perspective, any noticeable damage to the pistons and cylinder. I assume it did some damage below though, judging from the horrible sound the engine was making when this all happened.:puke:

I just so happen to have a pristine 787 silver engine from a 96 GTX set aside for rainy day and was going to pop that one in the GTX to get it going. I was then planning to rebuild the original engine over the next few months. Is the silver 96 GTX 787 engine a suitable substitute for the white 97 GTX 787 engine? Any mods required?

For removing the engine; I have disconnected the hoses, fuel lines, cables, engine mounts. Do I have to remove the jet pump to pull the driveshaft?

Thanks in Advance,

Wombat1 (I lived in Australia as a kid; hence the moniker)

It's the same engine, same mpem, I see no problems. Yes you will need to remove the pump in order to pull the drive shaft.

Lou

You don't have to pull the shaft just to change engine. Just lift engine remove big clamp on pto boot and slide engine forward. Do the reverse to put it back in.

Same thing happened to a ski I bought a while back. The pistons looked good, except the one that ate the rave has cracked on the side. Also, the sleeve was destroyed. I'm still hoping that the bottom end is in good shape b/c I plan on putting new jugs/pistons/raves on it and hoping for the best.

You don't have to pull the shaft just to change engine. Just lift engine remove big clamp on pto boot and slide engine forward. Do the reverse to put it back in.

The jet pump has to come out anyway to align the engine.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back