Supercharger washers

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClownPuncher

I recently bought my first boat...a 2006 Challenger cs. I absolutely love the boat, but after reading all the problems people are having about the ceramic washers in the supercharger, I'm a little nervous. I would really like to swap out the old washers for new ones. I'm not knowledgeable at all about these engines....How difficult is it? Would I just be better off taking it to a dealer to do the install?

Thanks!!

You should be nervous about the ceramic washers. They have proven to be unreliable and can severely damage your engine. You should plan to have them replaced asap.

Don't take it to a dealer unless you have no other recourse as that will probably be very expensive. If you are fairly good with mechanics or know someone who is you can relatively easily remove the supercharger. Once you do this you can order the steel Riva washers right here from PWCMuscle.com and swap them out yourself. If the supercharger has more than a few hours on it some shimming may be necessary to achieve the proper slip. The shims are inexpensive and easy to install.

You will need the proper tools. There are documents online to help you with this or you can buy the shop manual. You may be able to get the shop manual you need online by becoming a premium member of this forum.

If you feel you can't handle the job yourself you can send the supercharger to an online service that will do it for you for $50 labor plus the cost of the washers ($110) and shipping (about $35). Shims are included if necessary.

If the boat has 75-100 hours or greater you may want to have the supercharger rebuilt. This will cost you in the range of about $310 for the kit if you do it yourself or add $75 for labor and $35 or so for shipping if you choose to have it done.

I just bought a 2007 and was wondering the same thing. One other site/post stated that the %$ of failures not as high as you woudl think to justify spending the $ to change them, although some people do.

I just bought a 2007 and was wondering the same thing. One other site/post stated that the %$ of failures not as high as you woudl think to justify spending the $ to change them, although some people do.

I agree with this about 50%, the % of failure is perceived as being higher on web forums because you have a smaller % of the usage base reporting in. I think that if you look at the entire seadoo sport boat community % you'd find that it was a rather small % of failure.

Having said that why risk it over $200?

Thats the price of you removing the SC and shipping it off to get them fixed. Dealer is probably at least twice that. Doing it yourself would be cheapest, just need new washers. $110

The supercharger clutch failures happen more often on PWC's than on sport boats because PWC's are more likely to come up out of the water and thus over rev exasperating the problem. Also, forums naturally discuss failures to a great extent possibly making them appear worse than they actually may be. That said there is still a significant chance that this particular problem can happen to any 4-Tec supercharged motor.

ATTENTION 2004-2007 SEA-DOO RXP, RXT, GTX and 215 WAKE OWNERS: Sea-Doo (BRP) has agreed to a proposed class action settlement covering the ceramic washer problem with 2004-2007 4-Tec Series supercharged watercraft. Owners who purchased these boats in CA can submit claims for reimbursement of costs associated with washer failures and for costs incurred to replace the ceramic washers. Also, BRP is extending warranty coverage on washer failure. Here is the link to the settlement website, which includes details and a claim form:

http://www.ceramicwashersettlement.com/

No, not everybody. Only those who bought their ski in California, and boats do not appear to be covered.

The settlement covers only 4-Tec Series Sea-Doos purchased in California. BRP chose not to include all affected boats nationwide. If you purchased one of the models in another state, I suggest you voice your complaint to Sea-Doo at the following address: http://www.sea-doo.com/about-us/contact-us.aspx
Or call them at: 715-848-4957
Encourage others to demand similar treatment for ALL of its loyal customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back