Supercharger Rebuild interval - 2009 RXP X 255

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmeseadoin

Greetings guys,

I own a 2009 RXP X 255 that I bought from the original owner last summer. It in in cherry condition and had 66 hours on it and now has 75 and it runs perfectly. I'm trying to get to the bottom of all of this data out there on SC rebuilds and what the real interval should be. I am hearing 100 hours, but then I have a few telling me go safe and do 90. I'm also reading about the fact that the '08 units should have metal washers but some slipped through with ceramic...so does this mean that for '09 (my unit), they are all metal making failure and inducting trash into the engine less of an acute issue? I am seeing that the revised part number ending in 102 rebuild kit for the '09 stretches the rebuild interval to 200 hours...so does that mean that the OEM '09 rebuild interval could be longer than 100 hours? What is the truth on all of this data??!!

I am a very mechanical person and have done much work in my life on all kinds of cars and motorcycles and my 96/97 Seadoo GSXs that I still own over the years....so I understand the need for rebuild. I also understand that wear on the SC is largely subjective. While I cannot speak to what the previous owner did in his seemingly responsible adult 66 hours on the ski, I do NOT ride my RXP hard nor do I ride much at WOT. I typically cruise 1/4-1/2 throttle cruising lower speed and am very conscious not to run the ski too hard....I don't go out and dog the ski is what I am saying...therefore, wear should be less with less RPM, less boost and pressure on the shaft, etc.. I'm trying to cut through all of the data out there and determine when I should rebuild. If it is 90 hours, that is fine, but if I can stretch it out based on how I ride, keeping in mind how it is running and sounding, then perhaps that is the option to go with. I have noticed zero performance degradation and have NO trouble hitting the governed speed of 70mph at WOT very quickly when I want to.

I'd also like someone's opinion who has done a rebuild on a 2008/9 RXP X 255 as to how much of a pain in the ass the job is. Getting to it looks like a pain, but I'm guessing once you start removing tubes and ducting and such, it ends up right down in there in front of you? I can see it way down in there on mine, but the supply tube looks like a PITA to get to at the bottom of the hull? I will buy the kit, buy the special tools and don't care about the money it takes...and I'd like to do it myself to learn as I love knowing how things work. I care about the level of effort and what to look out for/pay special attention to. I watched a 32 minute you tube vid and the only thing I don't have is a press.....but if I need one, I will buy one and add it to my tools collection in my shop. I'd love the perspective of someone very knowledgeable in this area that can speak to the points I have brought up? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and share their perspective!

OK....lot to cover here.

Yes, with your '09 you will have metal washers. The main reason for rebuilds is that the clearances change due to the slip clutch. When there isn't enough tension (indicated by being able to turn the impeller by hand while on the engine [be careful not to cut yourself!]), the clutch will slip excessively. Like any clutch that slips, this will induce friction based heat and can cause failure even with the metal washers. You will also be down on performance and it's slipping before you reach max boost.

BRP mostly for marketing purposes increase the service rate to 200 hours. I still highly recommend doing it at the 100 hour mark, or no longer than 3 years, which ever comes first. This will keep the bearings fresh (remember, they spin VERY fast).

Now, for rebuilding it yourself, you need about $500 in specialty tools, including precision torque wrenches, shop press, balancer, and around $250 in BRP made tools. If you're feeling up to it, you certainly can do it yourself. The Supercharger Rebuild Kit (420881102) is $330.

Alternatively, we are just starting to advertise our Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service, which for $415 includes the kit, the rebuild and return shipping. We've been doing rebuilds on an individual basis for a while now and are just starting to advertise the service.

Let me know if you have any other questions or how we can help!

What he said,,,

Officially the 09 model has metal washers. However, some have snuck through with ceramic washer. When I have heard this I try to get their build date to see if they were early builds. So far that seems to be the case.

JoeZ - Thank you very much for your information! This makes perfect sense to me and is in line with my thoughts. Considering the special tools cost and the fact that this really does need to be done properly...perhaps what I will do when the time comes is to ship the S-charger to you and have you do it. With the $415 cost of the service you are advertising including parts cost, that might be the way to go as long as I know that the S-charger will be properly redone and the unit I get back is mine. I am very particular with things and making sure everything is done to the highest standard and properly. Where are you located?

Three follow-up questions:
1) How difficult is pulling the S-charger from the ski?
2) What is the turn around time once you receive the S-Charger to R/R it and ship it back to me? I will prolly do this over the winter when I am not using it much but still would be interested in a fairly expedient return?
3) You mention adhearing to the 100 hour service interval for rebuild. So, I should not get this done at 90 hours in your opinion....I should be ok with my use of the ski and paying attention to it, doing it at 100?

Please let me know and thanks again!

Chris

1) You mention you're a very mechanical person, so this is not very difficult. Shop manual outlines how to do it
2) Takes about a day after we get it to rebuild and sent back out. We stock rebuild kits.
3) 100hrs should be fine, assuming there is no current slippage and it's not more than 3 years since the last rebuild. You can check that slippage by removing the intake hose from the supercharger and carefully trying to rotate the impeller by hand. If it's extremely difficult, it's still holding and you just wait for the service interval (100 hrs, or 3 years). If you can spin it, get it done before the service interval. Some people like to err on the side of caution, with no more than 2 years between rebuilds or 90 hours max.

We rebuild YOUR supercharger and you get back YOUR supercharger. It's not a core exchange...you keep your parts. We use 100% OEM part kits, not any knock off cheaper components.

We are located in Tampa, FL, and I can assure you the highest level of care and precision is used for the rebuilds.

JoeZ - Excellent information...thanks a bunch. It looks like this is probably the route to go. I do not tend to put many hours on this ski per season, so at 75 hours now if my spin test on the S-Charger proves to be good, I will probably look to rebuild around 90-95 hours. That will probably take at least two more seasons or more to get there, but maybe I'll just follow the time rule and do it at the end of either this or next season. I will be in touch and hope that when the time comes, you are still offering this service. Thanks again. Shall I just send you a note on here for shipping and price information at the time?

Chris

You can send a message here or call our toll free number for PWCMuscle, 888-605-2335.

JoeZ - Excellent information...thanks a bunch. It looks like this is probably the route to go. I do not tend to put many hours on this ski per season, so at 75 hours now if my spin test on the S-Charger proves to be good, I will probably look to rebuild around 90-95 hours. That will probably take at least two more seasons or more to get there, but maybe I'll just follow the time rule and do it at the end of either this or next season. I will be in touch and hope that when the time comes, you are still offering this service. Thanks again. Shall I just send you a note on here for shipping and price information at the time?

Chris
I don't think you quite appreciate what JoeZ has told you...
do not forget one minor detail in the rule of 100hr rebuild interval...

To quote Steve Miller...time keeps on slippin slippin slippin....

Don't forget the bearing cages that hold the 2 sets of ball bearings in place. They get brittle over time....2yrs...3 years max before rebuild time. So...don't try to keep the rebuild time to strictly under the 100hr mark...when it's taking you 7yrs to get there....I wouldn't bet those bearing cages would hold long enough to reach your mark. They may....they might not. If you sc has been rebuilt since '05...great...but how long's it been since it was done...and how much longer are you gonna try to stretch it out?

cool?

One last thing...while the spin test may prove good...don't mean those clutches ain't already slippin...costing you performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back