Super easy fix for mpem based battery drain

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 99 xp limited recently and have been fixing / cleaning things up since. When I bought it the po had wired a super cheap battery switch in the back and said "it has a draw I couldn't figure out". Being me and slightly anal about things working correctly I knew it was something I would be resolving. First though I had to isolate the actual issue. Sadly it was not my dess post but the onboarding main power on relay in the mpem. Since everything else worked I couldn't see spending $500.00 on a new mpem. Also I wasn't going to trash a working mpem by digging at the potting trying to find that relay. So I thought about it for a bit and figured I would try a heavy duty relay on the power main. I wasn't sure if would work without interfering with the dess system but after researching it some I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I ordered a 120 amp relay from Amazon for about $12.00 and with a few other bits of wire went to work. First I pulled the battery lead from the ebox where the solenoid sits and routed it to post 30 on the relay. Next I ran a piece of 4 gauge from the post 87 of the relay to the solenoid where the power had been hooked up. Next I ran a jumper from blade 86 to post 30. Finally I ran a wire from the black/yellow wired from the dess post to blade 85 of the relay. Now the moment of truth put the key on the dess and boom relay clicks shut and mpem beeps twice. Ski cranks as normal and starts just the same Before my gauges and vts would remain on now they shut off once the key is pulled from the post. Is it exact factory function no but it's better in my book then a battery switch or a dead battery. Forgive my wiring in the photo it was just the proofing phase I have cleaned everything up and mounted things correctly since.

Link for relay I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N1IEWCU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_titlePXL_20220918_195347592.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back