Step by Step Guide on removing your upholstery and reupholstering your seats!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Nice job Cheappc - I have to laugh at your ingenuity for a Ratchet Safety cable.... only because it took me dropping my nut driver down the shifter hole to think something like that might be necessary! That damn nut driver is still somewhere in the hull, maybe someday it'll shake itself out where I can get to it... I can't even see it!

lol... I thought it was so funny, but it worked so great too! and it was cheap! thats the best part about it,

DonoBBD GREAT JOB ON THE WORK!! nice job man..

I want to redo mine but very leery about it. The speedster seats are concave, so getting them to looks factory would be a nightmare.Ive seen pics of them and they dont look good at all.

I want to redo mine but very leery about it. The speedster seats are concave, so getting them to looks factory would be a nightmare.Ive seen pics of them and they dont look good at all.

Keith just shipped me the front seat bow, this time Im gonna leave the old vinyl on the bottom, and see how it looks with the new one on top? what do you guys think?

Sorry OCOD that lock came with my boat lol

here are some more pictures with my new interior and my new 3 gauge sport hood, and Hydro Turf installed

hello.. was wondering, if you are still around here, havent checked... we have 97 sporster...would to have more gauges...where/what can i get to upgrade mine? just has the one fuel/oil gauge. how much, and i assume the wiring for them, rather the plugs for them, are in that harness under the steering column that has a number of plugs just hanging out. yours looks great... cant wait to finish ours!! thanks for the help with how to take the seats out... will post pics of ours when we get to it soon.

Hey there looks like you know what you are doing so I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I have a speedster 160 and I need to redo the front seat the backrest is easy to remove but the bottom seems to be be riveted on each side and possibly on the bottom getting it out is gann be easy but how do i go about reinstalling it after I recover it since there is only one cup holder on the right side and no other access to get rivets back into it to hold it???????

thanks

Decided to bump and sticky this thread for those who haven't seen it.

im sure I missed it but what size bolts are the 4 holding the bottom rear seat? or do they have a Phillips head or what

Thank you that will save me some headache im sure knowing ahead of time. They are kinda a pain to get to

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Can somebody tell me where I might find a template for the Armrests on both sides for a 98 sportster 1800? Mine vanished while the boat was in storage, or they might have blown off while towing the boat on I95 doing 70mph. Since I can't reupholster them, I need to actually Re-Create them from scratch. I may need to do the same with all my backrests which appear to have been epoxied to the boat, but have since separated and are just curling off.

seadoo upholstery removal

this step by step guide is fantastic!!! we live in Nicaragua and own a 1998 Seadoo Sportster 1800. We are in the process of removing all the old upholstery to re-do the entire boat, and your step by step has helped greatly. However we still can't figure out how to remove the back part of the front seat! Any suggestions?? There doesn't seem to be a way to "get in" to remove any bolts, we just can't figure this one out!!

this step by step guide is fantastic!!! we live in Nicaragua and own a 1998 Seadoo Sportster 1800. We are in the process of removing all the old upholstery to re-do the entire boat, and your step by step has helped greatly. However we still can't figure out how to remove the back part of the front seat! Any suggestions?? There doesn't seem to be a way to "get in" to remove any bolts, we just can't figure this one out!!

Wow, your kidding me? Im Nicaraguan, what a small world!

Now, of course you got the bolt front the back of the boat right? Im not understanding what part?, are you saying the upholstery.. or the actual seat being removed from the boat?

yep, in Nicaragua!!! and We haven't been able to remove the backrest (the entire backrest) of the seats in the front part of the boat, we need to remove them entirely in order to change the upholstery! And this forum is great and thanks a million for replying!

yep, in Nicaragua!!! and We haven't been able to remove the backrest (the entire backrest) of the seats in the front part of the boat, we need to remove them entirely in order to change the upholstery! And this forum is great and thanks a million for replying!

I think DonoBBD has the same boat you got, message him, its a sportster 1800.. let me see if I can get the pdf and look how its bolted on... I also have a great idea, you can get a hold of keith, and http://seadooupholstery.com/ and I think he might also help you.

here is the picture of your model hull and seat hull and where your bolts are located
sportster1800seat.jpg

I think DonoBBD has the same boat you got, message him, its a sportster 1800.. let me see if I can get the pdf and look how its bolted on... I also have a great idea, you can get a hold of keith, and http://seadooupholstery.com/ and I think he might also help you.

here is the picture of your model hull and seat hull and where your bolts are located

great!! thanks! we'll give it a try and if we can't figure it out, I'll send Keith a message! Please be patient cause I'm new at this forum and this is actually my first message!!!

just checked, that is the right diagram but we can't find a way to get to those bolts on the front of the boat!! there isn't anything or any way to get in to remove them!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and who have gone fearlessly before me. We just did the seat cushions on our '96 speedster and, thanks to the forum, the upholstering was fairly painless. I would, however, like to have a few words w/ the engineers who designed the way the seat is fixed to the cockpit. I'm sure it was easy for them to install (prob no engine or gas tank), but it was a bear to get those bolts out and back in. I finally resorted to a pneumatic socket driver with a 1' pipe and small valve installed on its end. I taped the trigger down and used the valve to control. Then I fished for the bolt head because I could barely see. Same thing on reinstall - fished for the hole and had my son (it's his boat) move the seat around until we got the bolt going.

BTW, we ended up installing stainless 1/4 x 1.25" carriage bolts in the seat bottoms rather than the pop rivets to fix the cushions to the seat. I think that worked rather well.

We pretty much ignored the darts - don't think there's any way I'll be able to be able to get them back in. Thinking about installing self tapping machine screws or lag bolts in the back holes. What have you folks done about the darts?

Jim

Very nice thread... I have a couple questions before I start on my 96 Challenger...

1. With the different colors on the backrest and lower seat, does this assembly come apart into separate pieces OR do you just have to cover each section individually?
2. How much fabric do I need?
3. Any good sources for the fabric?

Thank y'all in advance for any help.

Hi Bmedlin85....

i did our jet boat seats.. came out pretty good once you get them out, old material and debri off, pull out a bazillion staples...

that was the hard part i think. getting to the bolts wasnt really that bad, more awkward and physically painful--hanging down from seat back, head in engine compartment.... anyway, it went well. the heat gun part, though i didnt use one since its so hot here and the material was already loose and stretchy. the seat bottom and seat bottom cushions came out fine and good enough for me; although, if i decide to ever do it again, i would probably USE a heat source to stretch more of the fabric to stave off as much wrinkling around corners as i could.

that said and done, our seat back rests were pretty much fine as they were, but i could see the odd shapes posing a problem.

but they DO sell material KITS, all pre cut and shaped for all the seat parts.

source of material--marine vinyl, i went to joannes.. great selection and prices were fantastic!! GET COUPON for half off material!! they can be found on their website or other coupon site.

how much fabric... well... i just measured the seats across and front to back, and doulbed it for sake of wrapping under for stapling as well as leaving room for the shape and strecting. all in all, cost me under 30 dollars for material to do entire bottom.

Hi Bmedlin85....

i did our jet boat seats.. came out pretty good once you get them out, old material and debri off, pull out a bazillion staples...

that was the hard part i think. getting to the bolts wasnt really that bad, more awkward and physically painful--hanging down from seat back, head in engine compartment.... anyway, it went well. the heat gun part, though i didnt use one since its so hot here and the material was already loose and stretchy. the seat bottom and seat bottom cushions came out fine and good enough for me; although, if i decide to ever do it again, i would probably USE a heat source to stretch more of the fabric to stave off as much wrinkling around corners as i could.

that said and done, our seat back rests were pretty much fine as they were, but i could see the odd shapes posing a problem.

but they DO sell material KITS, all pre cut and shaped for all the seat parts.

source of material--marine vinyl, i went to joannes.. great selection and prices were fantastic!! GET COUPON for half off material!! they can be found on their website or other coupon site.

how much fabric... well... i just measured the seats across and front to back, and doulbed it for sake of wrapping under for stapling as well as leaving room for the shape and strecting. all in all, cost me under 30 dollars for material to do entire bottom.

Thanks for the reply guitarsjm, I really appreciate it.

You said you went with Joannes.Would this be the correct site, http://www.joann.com/marine-vinyl/prd23669.html?

What color or colors did you go with? Do you have a picture of how yours turned out? Smart idea getting twice the measurement.

Thanks again for your help.

YES... that was correct link

went with blue for the seat surrounds and white for the little cushions for your butt..

i do have pics of the removal, seats all bare but for the foam, and recovers, but cant locate them at the moment.

but as for looks... aside from a few little wrinkles around the curved sections, its a100% better and was a bit fun to do.

my seat back head rests are going to need some redoing too and for those, i may just buy the pieces already made and formed as these look a bit more difficult to 'form' the vinyl to their odd shape.

if i do attempt it, will post about it. if you go with the joannes, make sure you get a coupon!! it will cut the cost of material in half!

to install the material, i used a cheap harbor freight pneumatic nailer/stapler connected to a small muffin compressor..dont need
industrial strength here, just alot of good grip staples...

for the butt cushions, same thing, BUT, when reinstalling them into the base, i chose to drill 4 holes in each and used galvanized pop rivets to fasten them down.. or you can use a carriage bolt as others have.

the pain in the ASS darts... you can toss as its more of a pain to match them and get them in.

now, i have to find a way to wrap the bow seat bottom in new material which is more like a slip cover.

good luck.. if i can help ... pm me!

jm

One more picture.

YES... that was correct link

went with blue for the seat surrounds and white for the little cushions for your butt..

i do have pics of the removal, seats all bare but for the foam, and recovers, but cant locate them at the moment.

but as for looks... aside from a few little wrinkles around the curved sections, its a100% better and was a bit fun to do.

my seat back head rests are going to need some redoing too and for those, i may just buy the pieces already made and formed as these look a bit more difficult to 'form' the vinyl to their odd shape.

if i do attempt it, will post about it. if you go with the joannes, make sure you get a coupon!! it will cut the cost of material in half!

to install the material, i used a cheap harbor freight pneumatic nailer/stapler connected to a small muffin compressor..dont need
industrial strength here, just alot of good grip staples...

for the butt cushions, same thing, BUT, when reinstalling them into the base, i chose to drill 4 holes in each and used galvanized pop rivets to fasten them down.. or you can use a carriage bolt as others have.

the pain in the ASS darts... you can toss as its more of a pain to match them and get them in.

now, i have to find a way to wrap the bow seat bottom in new material which is more like a slip cover.

good luck.. if i can help ... pm me!

jm

If there are wrinkles, use a heat gun and you'll be amazed how fast they disappear.

does anyone know why I cant see cheappc's pictures but i can see other peoples? I would like to view this since I will be reupholstering my 199 seadoo speedster in the next week or so.

-This thread is from 2011. Most likely his web hosting site for pictures has expired or become inactive, like photo bucket.

-One of the mods on the forum may be able to dig em back up. Not sure.

-You can also PM [MENTION=28488]cheappc[/MENTION] he could repost possibly.

-Rob

Back